Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I'm writing a book!
Old 08 Mar 2007, 18:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default I'm writing a book!

I am currently in the process of writing a book. The book is called "So You want to be a Supervillain," and is a practical look into the how-tos of becoming an EVIL (tm) Overlord. Using many real-world examples, this book teaches you how to raise money, how to hire henchmen, equip them, eliminate adversaries, and even includes a chapter commemorating the top 20 EVIL (tm) Overlords of all time. Plus that's not all; it comes with a glossary of terms for any self-respecting Overlord to know, as well as movie and book recommendations.
Old 08 Mar 2007, 19:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Taukki
Default Re: I'm writing a book!

Sounds intresting... :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valar
What's going on here? I've seen a kid, breasts, chopped eels, and a naked girl :P

Taukki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2007, 19:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The book is for the most part, tongue-in-cheek. It makes fun of many supervillain conventions (from the tendency to randomly execute your own henchmen, to the many ways to distress a damsel), but it applies these cliches to many real-world personas. (e.g. Stalin makes it into the top 20 for his mastery of the executing henchmen; his quote "In the Soviet army it takes more courage to retreat than advance." says it all, as does watching Enemy at the Gates), and teaches the reader how to do everything to become an evil supervillain.
Old 08 Mar 2007, 20:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

If we see a rise in super vllains in the next 10 years i'm going to apply a large, blunt, heavy object to your head. :P [size=2pt]<--- What Magicjuggler will look like when i'm through with him if there is a rise in villains[/size]

however this does sound intriguing.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2007, 20:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well I wrote "Consider the Cheese..." You may find it floating around the internet somewhere 44,965 characters of random junk that can be proved by using logical argument (and humour) to prove that being logical doesn't work unless you apply sense as well.

An extract;
"A short (but necessary) prologue
Deep though is often provoked by the most mundane coincidences. Man is only 78% water, and it is remarkable that we have only just learned these past 10 million years that we, the amorphous, walking talking water bags are the dominate species on this rock that spins round and round a star like a drunk trying to remember where he left his car.

In our drunken predicament we have just enough sense left to think about who we are, why we are and the natural of the wonderful world around us, which we take for granted everyday. This is why reader, I think we should together travel though the amazing world in which we live, and consider everything that presents itself to us.

For us to do this significantly and entirely we should take twenty-seven of our realty’s objects, concepts and creatures. You may wonder what is the significance of the number twenty-seven. Well, it is in fact one more than the number of letters in the alphabet. I will let you in on that secret later (It involves a lovely lass called Jamie). While writing this I have tried to use my appalling wit to add humour to otherwise quite dull or random facts of our world. I hope that you will enjoy my ramblings and philosophications and consider them yourself.

Everything that you are about to read would never have appeared before your eyes if someone had not had the time to sit down and ponder the humble cheese and why it should have rights. Additionally you should be honoured by the fact that your beady little eyes and brain are smart enough to understand the profound ramifications which this document contains. Once you have understood all the peals of wisdom that logic and humour can throw at you. You can view the world how it should be; though the eyes of the person two feet to the left of you wearing the purple sunglasses (Don’t worry he’s not a crazy psycho)."

It would be cool to post an extrat of your book here, I am most intrigued.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2007, 21:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Be sure to read this first:Evil Guy Tips. You could make a chapter on what not to do.

ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2007, 23:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

Sounds good!

However, make sure you have your target age set out for the start. You dont want to write a book that appeals/written for 8-10 year old boys, but then have a Chapter about Hitler, Nazi Germany, and the Death Camps. Or even Stalin.

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Mavfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2007, 23:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The book is fairly mature in its writing, and is designed for the 18-24 age range; the types of people into "Zombie Survival Guide" or "Alphabet of Manliness." It takes our dark and dreary history, and wraps it up in a layer of James Bond-like supervillain cliche.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 20:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Here is a sample of writing, something that I am posting for comment and criticism.

Mercenaries:
In his magnum opus “The Prince,” Niccolo Machiavelli condemned the use of mercenaries as an inefficient source of troops, for they’re unreliable and require lots of money to ensure they don’t betray you. Plus they have no national pride. However, in the right circumstances, soldiers of fortune make some of the best fighters around. Hannibal of Carthage managed to terrorize the Roman Legions even though his army was almost entirely made up of mercenary troops from all sorts of places. The Byzantines following the collapse of the Western Roman empire used Alan cavalry, Isaurians, and many other mercenary cultures to supplement their national forces and cataphracts; in fact, the Varangian Guard was composed entirely of Viking warriors. The Byzantines would later on fall to the Ottoman Turks under Selim the Conqueror, who hired an artillerist named Urban of Hungary to construct the massive bombards used to besiege Constantinople. Even to this day, mercenaries still find use, be it in African bushfire wars or as auxiliaries in most armies.

So how exactly do you go about hiring mercenaries? In this modern day and age, mercenary companies don’t go touring the world like in the olden days of warfare; they’ve realized that its far more profitable to set up a few offices and training grounds, and a company website. These Private Military Companies (or PMCs for short) will work for anyone who has the money and is not a convicted criminal (yet another reason why it is imperative to assume the outward appearance of a morally upright citizen until the time to build your empire commences). Though several of the well-known companies like Dynacorp or Sandline International have either gone out of business or have been bought out, there are many other PMCs about which are still eager to sell you soldiers eager to die…for a profit of course.

And this ultimately is what makes and breaks hiring mercenaries: they believe in money and little else. Pay them not by the hour but by objectives completed if possible, so that they aren’t content to goof off and expect to be paid for it. Send them on hi-risk missions with large rewards, so many die and the few that survive are rich beyond their wildest dreams. But always give them the illusion that they’re going to live to see another day, for another day of living is another day of enjoying the money they won’t be receiving. Now go forth and make Machiavelli roll in his grave!
Old 12 Mar 2007, 20:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

hehehe sounds good

how long would this be?

azr9 is offline   Reply With Quote