Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The balance of gaming and real life
Old 21 Feb 2007, 02:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default The balance of gaming and real life

What is about gaming in general that the average woman can't stand? Is it becuase it's geeky, weird, not main stream, it's not what grown men should be into? We should be at sportsbars drinking and eyeing the local hood rats, is that it? Maybe more it's time consuming, preping minis, painting them, writting lists and playing. As interests go gaming should be bottom of the list dangerous things men do. It's pretty much garunteed that I am not getting laid playing this game, I'm not drinking either, nor smoking, or doing recreational drugs. Gaming is too expensive by itself, books, minis, paints, it all adds up. Who has money to buy drugs when GW prices keep rising? (Don't get me started on rge World) I find painting relaxing, and I try to balance family, work and my god awful commute with gaming. I have a schedual I wake up early for work and allot myself 30 mins a day to painting or assembling models. On weekends after my kid is asleep I might wrtite a list, or do some painting. At work during my lunch hour I read the forums and such. But most of my time is spent helping my child with homework, spending quality time with family, working around the house and work at my job. I do manage to get a game of 40k in about once every two weeks or so. I believe that I have my priorities in check, I don't miss work, and my child is excelling in school, my family is fed and we have a humble house, and I take my wife out on "dates". But every now and then I hear that I am adicted to gaming. For some reason it gets under my skin. I try to balance my life and keep myself in check, but every now and then you need an outsider's opinion.

Which brings me to the point of this post. I believe that if my hobby was something more mainstream like fishing, or dirtbike ridding I would not be called an addict. I would be considered an enthusiast. So why is gaming different? Logically a hobby is a hobby as long as it's not making meth in the tool shed or hunting the homeless it should not matter what a man is into. But this is not the case. So I have two questions for you guys.

1. Do you think that the perception of this hobby comes with such a negative stigma that most non-gamers believe that enjoyment of said hobby is necessarly dangerous or evil?
2. Do you think that a married family man can have a hobby such as wargaming and still be considered a good husband and a good father?

To be honest I think I know what most of you will say, maybe I am just venting frustration out. But I believe that a man who puts steak on the table, provides a roof over his family's head, pays the bills, spends time with his daughter and his wife is entitled to some "me time." And that's what 40k is for me it's me time, time to hang out with the guys, blow up some imaginary stuff and let the child in me run wild for a few hours. But I can't help feeling like I need an outside opinion.

[img width=650 height=169]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1077/ordounlimitedsigcopybcopylc7.jpg[/img]
arcadiabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2007, 03:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: The balance of gaming and real life

I just think almost any hobby that involves modelling and painting gets lumped in with the classic D&D stereotype
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2007, 04:37   #3 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Re: The balance of gaming and real life

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadiabulldog
1. Do you think that the perception of this hobby comes with such a negative stigma that most non-gamers believe that enjoyment of said hobby is necessarily dangerous or evil?
My Answer: I believe that most of the negative stigma of all tabletop gaming or anything considered "nerdy" is simply people being unwilling to try it, or take some time to understand why people find themselves entertained by said games. I can guarantee you that a very large portion of the people into Dirtbiking, Fishing, Poker Games, etc have never tried one of these types of games, nor have they realized exactly how social they are. This often times get them branded as "anti-social" games, which then gives them a negative connotation for anyone else to pick up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadiabulldog
2. Do you think that a married family man can have a hobby such as wargaming and still be considered a good husband and a good father?
In my opinion, a married man can have pretty much any hobby (unless it is getting into law-breaking things...) and still not be criticized for it. I mean, you have already found a woman who loves you and will at least tolerate, if not support what you do. As for the kids, you obviously have to spend some time with them, but once they are beyond their toddler years you can stand to leave them alone for some more "you" time. In my opinion, if it is only about a half hour a day, or hell, even an hour, of gaming than you shouldn't be bothered by anything regarding it from your family (unless you blow them off for it, you should take some more free time into account for it).

[hr]

Or, to put it quite simply, no man has the right to insult another man's hobby, it's just unmanly! And neither do women, we don't even know why they got the right to vote