Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A question for the Brits 'round these parts...
Closed Thread
Old 12 Jan 2007, 11:24   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae
Default A question for the Brits 'round these parts...

Do you guys actually like David Beckham? Just asking cause he's come over to the ol' U.S. of A, to play for the Los Angeles Galaxy, for rediculous amounts of money. Personally, I think he's massively overrated, and not worth twice as much as the entire team's salary combined. Just wondering what you think of him.

Yea, I don't want him here trying to revive his obviously failing career, if you couldn't tell.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 11:36   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: A question for the Brits 'round these parts...

I can't stand the man, I hate to think of him representing MY country, and he is not the image of what a guy should be IMO.

He's another of these bloody metrosexuals, god, I will never understand that, and while he probably is a decent guy, I am sick to death of having "Beckham did this" "Beckham has a new hairstyle" "posh and Becks did/said/think XXXX".

Its all the media rams down our throats, damn so called "Celebrities" and "Uber-Cool-Football-Players-You-Wish-You-Were-Like"

I'm so sorry to hear he is coming to your country, I hope your media doesn't ram him down your throat like they do hear, although I'm glad he is gone.

N.B - Maybe I am a bit unfair, as my view of him has been ruined by the media into one of loathing, so its more their fault than his, I do know the man does do good things. I just loathe all celebs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 12:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

I quite like Beckham.

In his prime, a year or two before he moved to Madrid, when he was playing on the right for United. There were a lot of cries that he was 'over-rated' he really wasn't at that time. Even now, there are very few if any people better with a dead ball or at crossing it in from out wide.

He's not a bad or nasty bloke. He's softly spoken, does a lot for charity. He defied the conventions of what it is to be a 'man' or a 'real' footballer. He isn't a womanising, party mad, cocky prat like most footballers. He's a good dude, he does a lot for charity, I've no doubt at all he's a good father and husband. I don't actually see what there is to really dislike about him.

In short, he is a far better role model than most footballers.

He really has drive, passion, desire. He gave it his all for England, he led by example and he really fought to try and get back into the team once he lost his captaincy and was dropped. He didn't complain, he didn't take shots at Steve Mclaren in the press, he stayed quiet and fought to try and get his place back. He was putting in top performances for Real Madrid at the time, but was overlooked for a recall because Mclaren wanted to send a message that he was changing things. He deserved his recall. Now, he could have just left Madrid and went out to the USA, but he's staying that bit longer, to try and win another trophy. He could have settled for a mid table Premiership side, but he has chose to go and make waves in America and boost the popularity of Football over there.

Good luck to him.

The money he will bring to Galaxy, and the American 'soccer' league as a whole will by FAR outstrip what he is been payed. Clubs aren't stupid, they will make money off of him.

Old 12 Jan 2007, 13:21   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Veq puts in a very very good point, yes he is a good bloke, much better than the so-called role models that other footballers apparently are. I think the main problem I have, is not with him, but the media, like I said, I end up getting sick of the "Beckham is your god" that the media rams down your throat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 13:21   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to sergeantmkoll

I hate the pampered prick.

And his talentless wife.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 14:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will

I may be on my own here, butI'm a Brit and I can't STAND football, and Beckham especially. And just the whole celebrity culture in general. DIE BECKHAM DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Space Marine project log
Old 12 Jan 2007, 15:04   #7 (permalink)
General Stupidity

He was alright, before he married Victoria.

Old 12 Jan 2007, 15:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

People are claiming they 'hate' him. But not giving any reasons.

It's not Beckhams fault that we live in a culture that promotes celebs etc.

What does HE actually do that makes you hate him?

I think any 'hate' is based on jelousy. I'm jelous of nobody, I know I'm really good at football, but it's not something that interests me enough for me to want to make a real go of it, no matter what sucess with it would bring. We walk our own path, why be jelous of somebody elses?
Old 12 Jan 2007, 16:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

...Whos David Beckham?...

Well I will not say I dislike him as I have very little opinion on him as a) I do not know him personally b) I don't watch or follow football, I'm a Cricket guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
It's not Beckhams fault that we live in a culture that promotes celebs etc.
This is why people end up hating him. Because the media show him up, bring out his private life which nobody (Not everyone) really wants to know about. Then we get annoyed at him because the audience doesn't care about him and they just want to be audience to other news or people. Hence because the audience is forced to know about him, we dislike him for that fact.

I personally find 'Z' list celebs to be the most annoying thing, since being stuck in a steamy bus in traffic every morning. Just because some one has been on TV doesn't mean they deserve to be in another TV program. Half the time, talk show have people I've never heard about, talking about their 'experience of TV'. Because I don't care I dislike spending my time watching it.

Genmotty
Old 12 Jan 2007, 17:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

I agree with Thor on this, he's not a bad guy and despite being unable to do his 5 year old sons homework (I don't know if his son is five or older, I don't pay attention to the celeb rubbish in the papers) a lot of the stupid things he does is because his wife wants to be in the paper. he's a good footballer but not incredibly clever in the academic area.

I have no hate towards him but the media's "oh look a new hairstyle" attitude towards celebs is incredibly annoying.
Closed Thread