Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Geezer Gamer or "Hey You Kids Get Offa My Lawn"
Closed Thread
Old 03 Aug 2006, 21:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Geezer Gamer or "Hey You Kids Get Offa My Lawn"

While not among the oldest of gamers, I did seriously start gaming in '77 and have been in the hobby constantly since then. I play Science Fiction based games, but I have had dalliances with Fantasy, with my first miniatures game being Starguard.

This was the time that gaming was such a fringe hobby, but at the same time had so much potential. It was a time of laissez-faire, where it didn't really bother people if you borrowed ideas from them. A time when halflings were hobbits. When anyone with a bit of sculpting skill, and the tools to melt lead (Pb) could start up a miniatures company. When your imagination made that little black silhouette on a 1/2"*1/2" square of cardboard represented a Starship.

Reading the item on the changes to WD has made me nostalgic, when The Dragon, White Dwarf and The Space Gamer, had no qualms to cover other game systems. But as Gaming has become popular, lawyers and licencing, got involved to corral in what we thought was the free exchange of ideas. And closed down most, if not all, of the fan based publications.

I will admit that the miniatures have improved in size and quality, but they are no longer appropriate for any game system. If you have the knack for sculpting now, you better be able to create your own game system, because for your figures to sell you need gamers to buy armies of them, instead of a collector buying one or two. I am fascinated by the Infinity line of figures, but I probably will only collect a couple of figures.

I have seen everything from mimeographed rulebooks barely stapled together, to high quality full color illustrated hardback books (and I have examples of each next to each other on my book shelves). But the new books give me a better sense that gaming is here to stay.

I am spending about the same proportion of money on gaming then as I do now. But being smart about it, I buy very little at full price anymore. It did take a while for me to get used to the upcharge when figures changed to pewter from lead. Where I used to buy an entire sleeve of Citadel figures to build up an army, it is actually less expensive now to buy a box of plastic troops.

Thanks for letting this old guy have his senior moment, but I never felt a need to grow up and get totally out of the hobby.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 17:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Geezer Gamer or "Hey You Kids Get Offa My Lawn"

Just an update to one of the things I mentioned above...

CBS (USA) Evening News had an item about fantasy sports leagues and who 'owns' the stats on the players. Fantasy sports leagues were originally put together by fans using the box scores found in every sports section of the larger newspapers. The fans started keeping and trading these stats and played virtual games based on these stats. Now companies and the actual sports leagues are seeing dollar signs from these stats and lawsuits are flying about to see who has rights to them. What once was news and thought public domain, is now a commodity that entities may/will ask to be paid to access.