Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Language
Closed Thread
Old 30 Jun 2006, 22:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Tau Language

Ok Boyz 'n Grrlz,

I got me resources innit. Want some Tau words coined? I gotcher words right here. Cough 'em up, cough 'em up. I'm a budding linguist and I got me some resources! Aynu, Old Mon - lots of obscure origins.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 22:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Tau Language

ok, first of all: stop talking like a chav.
secondly: Can you give me the tau word for killa kan?
and lastly: why do you put resources in italics? are you hinting at something?

Old 01 Jul 2006, 06:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Dood. I'm from New England. So not a chav, but I do speak kinda Canadian. Plus I'm female. We tend to modulate our voices more than men.

What I meant was that if we want to work on a systematic Tauish thingie, I can cough up words from reconstructed real languages to use. It's much more pleasant to be systematic, and easier as well. Makes it seem more real if your 'alien' language doesn't approach the Sims in sound (i.e. 'English from a distance&#39.

Killa Kan. Tricksy. Let's think. The Tau prolly call it "garbage can with whirly blades" - or, rather, have a nickname for it just like, ie., the US military nicknamed Russian models rather than trying to say them in Russian.

My girl is calling me to bed but I'll get back to you tomorrow.
Old 01 Jul 2006, 07:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ok, I lied, she's in the bath so I've got a reprieve.

Bib'bim "Husk-Thump". Bib is literally "Husk", but refers to mechanised weapons with creatures inside (ie. mecha etc.).

Thump is bim - Ork tactics tend toward the thumpy, so it's a good nick: "Thump Mecha".

Origin: proto-Nilo-Saharan from p'ip', p'iip' "husk, shell" and p'im "thump".

Ehret Christopher 2001: A Historical-Comparative Reconstruction of Nilo-Saharan (ISBN 3-89645-098-0).
Old 01 Jul 2006, 11:47   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

You're a long way behind... I've been doing this for months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 01 Jul 2006, 12:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

thump mecha? can't you just translate killer, and then can? also, please dont double post. you can simply edit your original post to add anything.

Old 01 Jul 2006, 14:47   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

"Killer" is probably something like "Hy'Mont'Ka", which roughly means "One Who Kills", or "One Who Deals a Killing Blow".

Now the Killer Kan is, to the Tau, a primitive Xar'vesa... so Xar'Hy'Mont'ka... which roughly means "Mechanical Killer".

This could be shortened... perhaps to Xar'Hyka, in the same way "Shaserra" is clearly an abbreviation of Shas'Ka'erra (lit: "Sun Shadow").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 01 Jul 2006, 15:00   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

Mostly, I think the tau just call them "ARGGGGHHHH GET IT AWAY FROM" <SPLUTCH SPLUTCH WHIRR SPLUTCH>

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 01 Jul 2006, 16:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Tau eh

Yeh, I know it's being done, but the latest post on the subject was Dead (waaay old) and I didn't want Curse of the Resurrection raining down on me fra the Moderators.

Just out of curiousity, why would the Tau call it "the Killer Kan"? They don't call humans "earthlings" (human < Latin term for "soil, dirt"). They'd have some Tau designation. Isn't calling it "The Can that Kills" just, like, supernally awk?

Consider instead a soldier:
Quote:
Sir, we've got Orks crossing the ridge. Looks like they have one - make that two - Thumpers. Say again, we've got rabble and two Thumpers.
My observations:
  • Who has time to say "Xar'vesa Who Deals a Killing Blow"?
  • Who could compare the sublime Tau technology, the xar'vesa, with an Orkish weapon?
  • Even if it is shortened, it sounds silly to me - wouldn't the Tau pick their own names for enemy weapons? Presumably ones that don't sound like they are going to cause a morale check for the troops?
Old 01 Jul 2006, 17:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Questions:

What do we think the Tau call their different korar (airships)? I mean, we have Devilfish (slang for a manta ray), Piranhas and Sky Rays in 40k. According to Tau Lexicon A-Z, none of these have known Tau names.

In Battlefleet Gothic, of course, we have the Korívattra "Tau Fleet", Galíleath "Explorers", Ilífannor "Traders", Lar'shi "Hero", Kir'qath "Defender", Skether'qan "Messenger", Kassíl "Orca Gunship".

In addition, BFG has unnamed forces: Barracuda Superiority Fighters, Manta Missile Destroyers and Tau Drone-Missiles. I'm ignoring Allied Fleets (Nicassar, Kroot, Demiurg) and Gue'vesa converts (as mentioned in the Tau Fleets supplement in fluff but not in details in the text).

Epic has no Tau information, aerospace or otherwise.

First, are these handy human terms? The Tau are evolved from herd-like plains dwellers from a comparatively arid planet; do we think they've got large seas with big monsters in it that parallel the Terran forms, or do they have independent names? Or maybe they just use model numbers and don't use animal nicknames? I doubt very much the Orca Gunship's Tau name means "an Orca".