Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Collectible "strategy" games; really strategy?
Closed Thread
Old 03 Feb 2006, 02:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Collectible "strategy" games; really strategy?

I have been observing some of the kids playing games like "Pirates" and "Magic" and "Yu-gi'-Oh!" other random games. You know the type, most of the cards are bad, but some are really good, and poor kids spend all their cash on pack after pack just to find that one card.

Why is this a problem? It's not that the company gets money, no, to them I say "job well done" because, that's business.

What I have trouble with is the "strategy" part of these. In many games, there is an instant win card or ability, that when played, the game is over and the card player the winner. That's not strategy, that's just the card.

Then there's Pirates. This is a game more like 40k than most card games, but I still consider it a card game due to the fact there is no craftsmanship when snapping together the models, it's just "Buy-n'-Play". Some of the ships are very good, but most are very mediocre to bad. In it, repeatedly I have watched games where kids just use their "super ship" to just blow away the opposition, and as many times as I watch, it's just the same thing. I did start it, due to the fact that kids had been trying to get me into it, but I will quit since the game as a whole is so simple it makes me sick, and I hate the whole urge to just buy more packs.

So, define strategy!
Old 03 Feb 2006, 03:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Collectible "strategy" games; really strategy?

Strategy is the need to use innovative techniques and abilities to overcome a opponent, particularly in military or war-game setting. Strategy requires use of both the left and right brain hemispheres. Running your assault marines straight down the centre of the board is not a strategy. ^-^

Also, you should really stay away from pirates. It's not really a good game (well, duh. It's called pirates.)
Old 03 Feb 2006, 04:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

A game is more strategic the more it depends on your brain and not on your wallet.
Old 03 Feb 2006, 05:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Magic is sno longer a strategy game. It's become whoever has the most money wins. Up until Tempest it was worth something... Now it's just the ghey.

-Jason.
Old 03 Feb 2006, 05:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyr
Now it's just the ghey.
Other people still believe in karma. :
Old 03 Feb 2006, 06:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyr
Magic is sno longer a strategy game. It's become whoever has the most money wins. Up until Tempest it was worth something... Now it's just the ghey.

-Jason.
Agreed. After tempest I really lost my appetitie for magic. Some of the rarer cards were so good that it took no skill whatsoever to use them. No longer was it about the "infinitie creatures" combo, or the lifegain deck, or my personal favorite; the blue/red/counter/burn/pinger/massive card draw deck of DOOM! Now it was;
first turn; 3 creatures
2nd turn; 5 creatures, you lose life.
3rd turn; very close to dead, if not dead already
4th turn; very very dead.

With no combo skill involved at any level. Just cards that were rare, and therefore awesome, and therefore expensive. Ah well. I still kept my blue/red deck of doom, simply because it was a very tricky and fun deck to play; always teetering between utter defeat and overwhelming victory. If anyone wants a fun time at magic, I'll still have it around. Plus, no one could call me cheap because there were only 2 rares in the whole thing. ;D
Old 03 Feb 2006, 10:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Anyone is a classic Magic player in my book if you remember ever trying to a.) Make a Poison deck, or b.) Remember when a Counterspell was a Rare card...

-Jason.
Old 03 Feb 2006, 11:31   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

I remember the days of my Squirrel deck... probably one of the most annoying strategies for the opponent to deal with.
Old 03 Feb 2006, 15:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Plague Rat deck. Had twenty two of the little guys and they all reinforce each other. Never really got that much into the game and got out pretty quick. Since everyone who played AD&D pretty much was converted into that muck I wound up looking for other hobbies.
Old 03 Feb 2006, 18:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I used to play Mechwarrior: Age of Destruction since I thought it'd be less expensive than 40k. Bit of a shame I didn't find out until later that the startup costs are less but if you bother competing it's vastly more expensive.

It's loads of fun if you have strategies and mechs that aren't uber-cheap to play with. Case in point, just about anything out of House Kurita. Strengths: speed, power, special abilities. Weaknesses: Uh....

That kinda thing just killed it for me. I've still got my Highlander/RotS force and my wife's Spirit Cats force but it just wasn't fun to play with people who every month could afford a $300 case of Mechwarrior so they could get the best units and rock the **** out of the rest of us. It still required a modicum of skill but it's nothing like Warmachine or WH40K where just about everything is balanced in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Closed Thread