Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Favourite General?
View Poll Results: Which is your favourite general/military leader in history? (i've included the most famous ones IMO)
Hannibal Barca 2 8.70%
Phyrus of Epirus 0 0%
Alexander the Great 5 21.74%
Julius Caesar 0 0%
Africanus Scipio 0 0%
Charlemange 0 0%
Richard the Lionheart 0 0%
William Wallace 0 0%
Barbarossa 0 0%
Saladin 1 4.35%
Joan of Arc 1 4.35%
Napolean Boneparte 1 4.35%
Wellington 2 8.70%
Sun Tzu 1 4.35%
Robert E. Lee 2 8.70%
Zhu Ge Liang 0 0%
Erwin Rommel 2 8.70%
Genghis Khan 2 8.70%
Ogedei 0 0%
others (explain why and whom) 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 23 Jan 2006, 03:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003
Default Favourite General?

Okay I know there's a lot of options but I didn't get to include everybody worthy of this list. Some of the candidates because they just stuffed up so badly I think they might have just fluked every earlier battle (I'm looking at you, Boudicca, queen of the Iceni)

Personally my favourite is Hannibal Barca no competition, able in every aspect, just fought on the wrong side. Even if he won every single victory Carthage would still have fallen.

On a sidenote, I think there's kind of an attraction for talented generals on the losing side of teh war, Lee, Rommel and Hannibal are all figures of legend almost...

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
Old 23 Jan 2006, 03:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef
Default Re: Favourite General?

...time to do my research!
Old 23 Jan 2006, 03:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmm, I think I probably should have changed the name to "favourite historical generals" because the title as it is can be mistaken to be favourite 40k generals...

Old 23 Jan 2006, 03:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

It's hard for me you got Hannible,the desert fox,Ceaser(you forgot his adopted newphew though,agustas or octavain who are both the same person)

Those in my opinion are the best in my book.

Ceaser was good.
His newphew"Octavain" was even better though in my opinion(he did stop Hannible or was it Ceaser).

Rommel was good in trench warfare mostly I think.He could of beaten back the brits in the desert but gas and water needes prevented that.More would die at normandy if the reserve panzers where in his cammand and at the beachs.

My favorite would be Rommel
Old 23 Jan 2006, 04:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Saladin, for me, because he was the most decent of all of them. Even his archenemies the Crusaders praised his chivalrous and honourable ways. He was a strong leader all the same, and a skilled general.

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

[i]All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

- A public service clarification by the Sri Syadasti School of Spiritual Wisdom
Old 23 Jan 2006, 04:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

ARHG! I FORGOT OCTAVIAN!!! NO!!!!

Oh and also Mrgame, neither Caesar nor Augustus was responsible for the defeat of Hannibal, it was Africanus Scipio, also found on this list, who defeated Hannibal and the battle of Zama. His son later lead the 3rd Punic War and destroyed Carthage once and for all.

Scipio was the only general capable of besting Hannibal on the open feild. He was also really honorable as well, he disapproved of Rome's sending of assassins to eliminate Hannibal, so he warned Hannibal before hand of the assassins.

He died almost at the same time as Hannibal, they were basically a pair.

Hannibal himself once listed the greatest generals

number one was Alexander the Great
number two was Phyrus of Epirus
and near his death he said he always wanted to be number three on the list and he would have added himself there if it weren't for Scipio...

Funnily enough, I think the first major battle Scipio participated in as a foot soldier was the battle of Trebia, he was one of the only survivors of Hannibal's onslaught

Old 23 Jan 2006, 06:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sun Tzu for me.* It's just that the Art of War was studied and taught for generations after it was wrote.* Plus you have to love that they question if Sun Tzu was even the author, or if Art of War was just a book of various works.
Old 23 Jan 2006, 06:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Okay officially, the historical records of China (written by Si Ma Yi during the Han dynasty, so its not completely accurate) state Sun Tzu as a real general who fought for the Wu Kingdom located in central-south eastern China during the "Spring and Autumn" era.

Wu was a backwater kingdom which does not compare at all to the more powerful kingdoms in Central China. The major power in southern China at that time was the Chu Empire. Sun Tzu, along with renegade Chu general (forgot his name) whipped the country peasant militia of Wu into a fighting force. And with barely a few thousand, defeated Chu's army of over ten thousand (the historical records stated one hundred thousand, but I doubt its validity, Qi, another empire of similar size, had a standing army of 30,000, so i don't think 100,000 is accurate)

The Chu empire was defeated, the renegade Chu general, whose entire family was killed by the Chu former king who wrongly executed them as part of a plot, rode into the capital of Chu, dug up the grave of the emperor and whipped his corpse all night long until nothing of a bloody pulp remained.

Even if it wasn't historically accurate, its a helluva good story. I'm pretty sure all generals on this list have a large element of myth attached to them. Hannibal was so honorable he searched for the body of one of his worthy enemies for an entire night just so it can be sent back to the family? I doubt some of that....

But I say, let the enigma and the myth stick onto the hero, it makes it more interesting.

Old 23 Jan 2006, 07:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

Well, I cannot answer the question at the moment, but I can say with certainty it's not William Wallace. He shouldn't even be on the poll: he wasnt in charge at Stirling Bridge, he was 2nd in command. He lost at falkirk. He was a figurehead, an icon. He's not a great general.

It's not a lack of patriotism it's an overabundance of reality.
Old 23 Jan 2006, 07:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

I agree, Wallace did jack all. But because of Braveheart ppls are proclaiming he's something special.....argh.....

He won one major battle and lost one major battle, it doesn't make him a tactical genius, but he has such a cult of personality that many ppls would call him one of their faves.

See, on this list, there are those who are actually great generals, then there are those who are just famous and an icon.

Phyrus of Epirus and Africanus Scipio are both good generals, but hardly anybody knew them.

Joan of Arc and William Wallace on the other hand are not, but everybody worships them....

Closed Thread