Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Canadian Elections
Closed Thread
Old 18 Jan 2006, 16:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw
Default Canadian Elections

Well, we're in the final leg of the run up to the election. The last day for the advanced polls(Go vote if you wouldn't be able to on the actual election day/deadline for mail in votes) was on January 16the and apparently had a record turn out. If this is a reflection of the turn out we will have for the actually election it will be better than the last election(2004) that had the worst turn out in Canadian history(65%).

There are probably a number of reasons for this. First off is the fact that the strangle hold the Liberals have had in Ontario seems to have weakend to the point where other parties might have a chance. The same is happening in Quebec as many are starting to express dissident with both the Liberals and the Bloc Quebecois, the traditional powers in that province.[sup](1)[/sup] People with a strong Federalist slant appear to be flocking away from the Liberals and into the Conservative camp while those still have a left wing slant are looking more to the NDP.

It doesn't help that the NDP has been concentrating their efforts on wooing the Liberal supporters to their side. the common cant is that the Liberals, wading though the many scandals currently going on, are going to spend more time trying to clean themselves up than in helping Canadians. It's looking like after years of the Right being divided we've gone right around and now it's the Left that is being divided. Still, the NDP can't seem to break above the 18% support they seem to regularly get in the polls.

While the Conservatives look like the current leader, there still is a few things that could slip them up. One thing that has chipped away at the Blocs power base is the fact that the Conservatives have a strong 'One Canada, One Government' policy. That is that by having everyone work together, things will e better than trying to cut things up. It appears to be working as the Bloc and Liberals in Quebec are loosing support to the Conservatives according to the polls. The slip up though could be in Aboriginal Affairs. Part of the party policy is to rethink the handling of affairs with the various reserves.[sup](2)[/sup] This has some native and metis leaders worrying but others have come out in support of the conservative policies. Speaking as a metis myself, I'm all for the policies as well to be honest.

The other possible trip up is the tax cuts. The Conservatives cut to the GST is a pretty popular movement but those it would help most are at the extreme ends of the earning spectrum. The Liberal ones do more in terms of the mid range tax earners but really do nothing for the absolute bottom segment, where the most help is actually needed.[sup](3)[/sup] looking in the long run and with numbers adjusted and calculated by someone outside of the parties show some(not suprising) costs of the various plans;

NDP, total cost of $87.5 billion.
Conservatives, total cost of $74.7 billion.
Liberals, total cost of $64.4 billion.

So as we continue to barrel down on E-day it looks like the Conservatives might have it but if anything was shown by last election, there is no such thing a s a sure thing. For once though every vote might count as the different ridings sometimes have incredibly tight races going on between the Cons, Libs and NDP. We could still wind up with a minority government, we could actually have a shot at seeing a majority instead. I guess we shall see on January 23.

1.)Ontario and Quebec for the record, are the provinces that have the most seats in the House of Commons so are usually considered the locations where the race is decided.
2.) See here for a more detailed account of this issue.
3.) Once again, I'll let CBC do the explanations.
Old 18 Jan 2006, 16:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Canadian Elections

your country's perfect anyway,
your government doesn't matter,
because Canadians a practically a perfect people
note no sarcasm

Praise be to the Omnissiah.url=http://www.pickle-green.com/egraphics/main.php?id=eggs][/url]
Old 18 Jan 2006, 17:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Heh. You don't live there - we might not be as sabber-rattling or self-centered as our neighbours, in general at least, but we have more than enough street violence, corruption, and other wonderful side-effects of the drug called "civilization".

Spiritbw - very good writeup, lot of information... thanks for putting this together!
Old 18 Jan 2006, 21:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Aus' political situation is still the most baffling, where as everybody else is two party preferred, we have a party verses a coalition with 4 minor parties each capable of upsetting the balance depending on where they go. Put together the minor parties have around 23% of the total votes I think.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
Old 18 Jan 2006, 23:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I have a firm belief in the NDP, althoguh I'm a youngster.

Evidently, NDP is going to set of thousands of windmills across Canada, to get jobs for the unemployed and to produce lots of clean power.

Sounds pretty cool.

I like there thinking.

Liberals made some bo-bos.
Old 18 Jan 2006, 23:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I dont like Martin and I dont trust Harper one bit.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 19 Jan 2006, 17:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo the orangutan
your country's perfect anyway,
your government doesn't matter,
because Canadians a practically a perfect people
note no sarcasm
Thanks nice of you to say but as Dra-Tuisich'Novae said, we do have our share of problems. Some aren't as bad as other places[sup](1)[/sup] we do have our problems. I've been able to vote since 1996 though and take it as a grave responsability to keep informed and to vote for who I think has the best plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterCresent
I have a firm belief in the NDP, althoguh I'm a youngster.

Evidently, NDP is going to set of thousands of windmills across Canada, to get jobs for the unemployed and to produce lots of clean power.

Sounds pretty cool.

I like there thinking.
You're probably to young then to remember in the early 90s then when Canada nearly declaired Bankruptcy. Funny as it seemed at the time the GDP jumped back up when a US senator made jokes about measuring offices on Parliment hill to see if his furniture would fit. In any case we had been suffering a massive debt, in part from Pierre Trudeau's administration(Liberial) where spending rose nearly 1200%!!! The Brian Mulroney administration(Conservative) seemed unable to combat the slide and were ousted when they pushed through the GST. It's funny, we kicked them out, over a tax that the Liberials swore to remove, but in the end the GST actaully did finally reverse the landslide of debt the country had been suffering.

The thing is the NDP's spending plans sound the nicest, but it's costly. It would exceed even the surpluse we have had over the years by 30 billion! We crawled out of debt, it'd be nice to stay that way instead of diving back into it again, specially with the aspect of bankruptcy still only ten years in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
I dont like Martin and I dont trust Harper one bit.
Martin I don't mind. He's got a good head on his shoulders. It's his party I don't really like.

That is another point though. In Canada you vote for the party, not the person. No matter what this or that person thinks as an individual, when they are in the House, they vote with the party or they wind up ousted and on thier own. That makes it nearly impossible to do anything as a person. As a result, you're voting more for what the party puts on the table than the person supporting it. Also, even if that person has flaws, they aren't going to affect party policy unless the majority of the party agrees to change it.

In a way this helps to protect from the radicals of any given segment as they are forced to toe the line. That's why I'm not to concerned aobut the few radical Right wingers in the Conservatives any more than I am about the radical Left wingers in the NDP. It also helps that the Canadaian Constitution has listed as one ofthe rights a protection from disrimination. If they wanted to change that they have to go througha lengthly process that in volves the provincial govemrents and a referendum before they could pass it.

Anyhow, keep the comments and thoughts comming. Four days to E-day.

1.) We have less than a percentile of the violent deaths per year the US has for example.
Closed Thread