Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Answering questions
Closed Thread
Old 21 Nov 2005, 19:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Answering questions

There is a interesting phenomena on internet forums, and it is easy to spot on this forum(Tau online) specifically;

When ever someone asks a question that has a defined answer, people canīt help but post in to the thread even though it has already been answered. If you ask any rule question, you will get one correct, and a others like "there is an exception for unit X of army Y when..." or "Like Mr. A said, itīs..."
I think we are all guilty to this, I know I am even though I try to avoid posting on already answered questions. Unless they ask for it, I donīt think the person needs every single exception to regrouping or your confirmation how the first guy to answer the thread was correct.

So why do we do that? Is it some sort of desire to show we know more then the person who originally answered the thread? Do we have a compulsory need to prove our intelligence? Do we want to shine, and look good to other members? How many have read a thread with some rule question, noticed that the answer lacked some irrelevant detail, and just though "Nah, if he needs to know that, he'll ask." and left without replying?
Old 21 Nov 2005, 19:53   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe
Default Re: Answering questions

I just don't like leaving posts all their looking lonely.

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 21 Nov 2005, 20:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Because if only one person answers the topic the topic starter would be unsure of the response as one person could be wrong, whereas if their answer is confirmed then the topic starter will know it's almost certainly right.

Well, that's one answer, but the real answer is you all see it as an opportunity to raise your post counts... :P As proved by KJ:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo Joe
I just don't like leaving posts all their looking lonely.
But i've just said the same thing as KJ (in as many words), so i'm repeating what he said, so why am i posting here? For entertainment of course (yes, to show up KJ )...

:P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! That’s the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 21 Nov 2005, 20:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, I donīt think this question has a defined answer, but I realize the irony of the question.
And I do agree with confirming to some extent, but it is not always needed. Some people also post quite accurate reference details, so that whoever asked the question can look it up. So do you two think that when answering already answered questions you are serving yourslef, not the original poster?

Old 21 Nov 2005, 20:26   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

Its not hard to make me show up RJay....cuz I am so noticible. You, on the other hand are a reletive non-entity, so need to remind people who you are.

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 21 Nov 2005, 20:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo Joe
Its not hard to make me show up RJay....cuz I am so noticible. You, on the other hand are a reletive non-entity, so need to remind people who you are.
:'(

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Well, I donīt think this question has a defined answer, but I realize the irony of the question.
And I do agree with confirming to some extent, but it is not always needed. Some people also post quite accurate reference details, so that whoever asked the question can look it up. So do you two think that when answering already answered questions you are serving yourslef, not the original poster?
Uh... yeah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! That’s the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 21 Nov 2005, 20:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Posting a question on the boards is like polling the audience on "who wants to be a millionaire?". If you abstain from the topic, it feels like you may not have known the answer, or that you're wasting a "vote" for the outcome you believe in.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 20:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

well what i tell myself is that, questions that have very clear obvious one word answers are asked by noobs. this is because they haven't read the rule book 8 times and can recite certain chapters by heart, unlike some of us. and if a new person posts a question and he gets a single response, while that response is correct and the thread is completed(hey that sounds poetic) that person will feel he got a lack of respone and will think the veterans ingore noobs. so by re wording the same answer a few times we give him the sense of acceptance. the real reason is i want to sound smart and bulk up my post count.

Old 21 Nov 2005, 20:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I agree with some of the above posters. If you only get one answer are you shure it's the correct one? And if many people answer you're post you feel very welcome and well taken care of, and you will stay on this forum and also contribute to it's contents. Also, writing my post count goes up.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 22:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sometimes a question which requires a simple answer (not just a rules question) stirs up interesting sidebar conversations, which then totally derail the thread, but are interesting exchanges anyway.

Many, many, many members of these forums are accomplished players with a strong grasp of the rules, and answering rules questions is a very normal part of us being at a hobby store or other gaming venue. Often we'll just answer the question then and there, and we'll need to get back to our own game, etc.

But when someone asks a question in a forum, we're sitting at a computer, often with little urgency around us, and so we can engage in "sidebar" discussions at our leisure. I don't think it's so much a need to prove anything, it just so happens to be something we'd like to discuss.