Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I was not sure where to put this topic so I went here...
Closed Thread
Old 14 Nov 2005, 18:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Location: I live in the real world, a place you will never see, since you are stuck in a prison: a prison before your mind, a prison i like to call: The Matrix. You're not missing much.
Send a message via MSN to i dont play 40k
Default I was not sure where to put this topic so I went here...

Have you noticed how Games Workshop prices have gone up, and up, and up? Quite frankly, I'm sick of not being able to buy a fair sized army without it costing me an arm and a leg. Games Workshop now control a monopoly (or a trust for you Americans), yet there has been no action taken against them. Some kind of forced price reduction should come into play, as has happened with all other companies of the same types. Agree, disagree?
Old 14 Nov 2005, 18:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: I was not sure where to put this topic so I went here...

i totally agree. sqauds used to 12 then 15 then 18! rip off! and tanks go up too.

i hate it >

join the iron maiden cult, for iron maiden!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=19802.0
Old 14 Nov 2005, 19:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaon
Have you noticed how Games Workshop prices have gone up, and up, and up? Quite frankly, I'm sick of not being able to buy a fair sized army without it costing me an arm and a leg. Games Workshop now control a monopoly (or a trust for you Americans), yet there has been no action taken against them. Some kind of forced price reduction should come into play, as has happened with all other companies of the same types. Agree, disagree?
From wikipedia: "In economics, a monopoly (from the Greek monos, one + polein, to sell) is defined as a persistent market situation where there is only one provider of a kind of product or service. Monopolies are characterized by a lack of economic competition for the good or service that they provide and a lack of viable substitute goods."

Last time I checked, there are alternatives to GW products, and in addtion, they are a luxury item and as such no one other than fans care. Also, the phrase exists in America.

I heavily disagree with this and considering there have been topics like this, and they just become uninformed rants and moans. Games Workshop are a private company and are not legally obliged to do anything, nor have they broken the law with their prices. Also, I belive forcing them to lower them, however, would probably be illegal, as the UK government has no legal right to do so and as a result the move would be challenged in the Lords and EU. It's not fair, yes, but it's not unfair either. This is a capitalist world.

Besides, they make around 40million a year at best, that's not much.
Old 14 Nov 2005, 20:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to skink

As C Mage has said, GW doesn't have a monopoly. True, they are the only people who sell warhammer, but by your logic Toyota is a monopoly because they are the only ones who sell celicas. : There are other gaming systems, Warmachine is a good alternative if you want a cheaper game with excellent minis. Unfortunately GW is the biggest boy on the market because they have something other gaming companies don't have, stores that cater only to their products and a huge fan base. While you could buy from other systems for cheap, you are less likely to find other gamers at the local store.

GW prices have been going up for a while, get used to it. I like keeping my money, which is why I now buy only from Ebay, where I can quite easily save 50-60% on unpainted Dark Eldar and lizardmen. If you don't like prices just find ways of saving money, complaining on forums does little good. "Forced price reduction?" Warhammer is a luxury, I haven't heard of the government controlling the price of computer games recently, that's just not how it works.

Only idiots buy direct from GW, and then they usually turn around and complain about prices.
Old 14 Nov 2005, 20:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Actually - it's wrong to say that something is only a monopoly when it is the one and only place where you can get certain products from. To be a monopoly - you only have to control at least 25% of the market. Games Workshop is a monopoly.

Games Workshop are a private company and are not legally obliged to do anything, nor have they broken the law with their prices.

Have you heard of the Office of Fair Trading and the Competition Commission? They are independent companies (in the UK) which were set up to investigate Monopolies and anti-competitive behaviour in the market. They can investigate companies and force them to lower prices if they believe that the company is behaving in an anti competitive way which is bad for the consumer. No, these companies haven't technically broken the law - but they can still be forced to lower their prices.

as the UK government has no legal right to do so

It has every legal right - if the CC decides that that is the case.

The above was the setting of facts straight. However, to be honest, as someone said earlier, as Games Workshop only sell pure luxury wargaming goods - I doubt that the OFT and the CC would be very interested in them at all.
Old 14 Nov 2005, 20:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

IT IS A HOBBY,
you collect it and shut up or you stop complaining and stop collecting,
its that simple

Praise be to the Omnissiah.url=http://www.pickle-green.com/egraphics/main.php?id=eggs][/url]
Old 14 Nov 2005, 20:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

While I agree in part with orangutan, I don't see why you have to yell or be rude. I don't like people compaining about things they can control, such as the amount of money they spend on warhammer. GW isn't sending hired goons to force you into their stores and shell out your (or your parents) money for small, plastic miniatures. Buying direct from GW is a surefire way of throwing money down the toilet, if you are interested in buying 40k cheap look here:
www.ebay.com

Only idiots buy direct from GW, and then they usually turn around and complain about prices.
Old 14 Nov 2005, 21:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Location: I live in the real world, a place you will never see, since you are stuck in a prison: a prison before your mind, a prison i like to call: The Matrix. You're not missing much.
Send a message via MSN to i dont play 40k

First of all, I am not complaining, I can easily afford what I want though that doesn't mean I should pay that much. I would just like to make a topic without being complained at - okay everyone?

Now, to answer one point earlier made:
Quote:
but by your logic Toyota is a monopoly because they are the only ones who sell celicas
Actually this can be true if Toyota do not licence other garages and retailers to sell them. For cars, this is very rare as they can make much more money out of allowing other garages to do this. However, there was a fairly recent case of Ford not allowing other garages to use their wheels for a certain model, meaning that they could only be repaired by Ford garages. This act was considered "anti-competitive and exploiting consumers".

Now, following this point through, Warhammer is exploiting consumers in large price rises - 50% is large increase no matter what spin you put on it. Normally, the OFT spots this, refers this to the Competition Commission and appropriate action, such as forcing them to lower their prices, exactly as TK has just mentioned.

Besides, wouldn't GW actually make a profit by lowering their prices - Many people I know want to get into Warhammer but don't simply because of the prices. The sheer number of people willing to start an army would make up for price problems surely.
Old 14 Nov 2005, 21:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

Tau-Killer, thanks for setting the record straight there.

In addition, now I come to think of it, when we look at things like cigarettes and Alcohol, people frequently spend up to 50 a week on those. So, if you don't smoke, you can get a fair amount of 40k stuff...

...KJ's up the creek with no canoe though. ;D

and bongo, no need to be rude, there's always at least a third option.In this case, saving a little more.

slannm, eveyone knows about eBay, no real point in a link is there?

Old 14 Nov 2005, 21:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaon
First of all, I am not complaining, I can easily afford what I want though that doesn't mean I should pay that much. I would just like to make a topic without being complained at - okay everyone?

"Quite frankly, I'm sick of not being able to buy a fair sized army without it costing me an arm and a leg."

Sounds distinctly like complaining to me.

Quote:
Now, to answer one point earlier made:
Quote:
but by your logic Toyota is a monopoly because they are the only ones who sell celicas
Actually this can be true if Toyota do not licence other garages and retailers to sell them.
There are plenty of places to get your warhammer fix, rouge trader stores often sell at a (small) discount, not to mention online stores on Ebay.

Quote:
Now, following this point through, Warhammer is exploiting consumers in large price rises - 50% is large increase no matter what spin you put on it. Normally, the OFT spots this, refers this to the Competition Commission and appropriate action, such as forcing them to lower their prices, exactly as TK has just mentioned.
Just did some research and the new X-box 360 will cost $299, that's a 50% increase from the original X-box price as well, but I don't see many people complaining. GW is increasing prices, find ways to save money. There are plenty of items in the world that are getting more expensive, learn to deal.

Quote:
Besides, wouldn't GW actually make a profit by lowering their prices - Many people I know want to get into Warhammer but don't simply because of the prices. The sheer number of people willing to start an army would make up for price problems surely.
Sounds good, but it doesn't work out that way most of the time. Ever hear of the 20-80 rule? It basically says that about 20% of your products will make 80% of your profit, as well as 20% of your customers will make up 80% of sales. GW has a very strong fanbase, ever see the people in the store with 4+ armies, all of them over 2000points and who seem to buy a land raider every other week? Those are the people who make the backbone of 40k, not teenagers who buy a $30 box a month.

Edit: @ CMage
I know, just trying to drill in a point

Closed Thread