Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Armageddon
Closed Thread
Old 23 Oct 2005, 00:17   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Robby
Default Armageddon

Heres some news about the Armegeddon games expo in Auckland, New Zealand, its been on since Saturday and will be finishing on Monday. It has all games from warhammer 40k to Magic cards and even wrestling.

In a decade it has gone from a male-dominated trading card and comic event to a show that caters not only for the whole family but for everyone from gamers to sci-fi junkies to animation fans.

There's even some live wrestling this year.

"Kids who are into comics like wrestling too," says expo founder and director Bill Geradts.

The first Armageddon, held at the Avondale raceway, attracted 2000 people. Now the event is held over three days at the Aotea Centre in Auckland and more than 30,000 people are expected.

In 1998, Geradts, an avid comic collector, started expanding the expo to cater for the public as well as comics fans.

"We looked at the show and we realised that was as big as it was going to get. If we do a comic show, all we get is comic fans. That's great and they'll buy more comics, but you don't get new fans.

"But if you do a show that's sci-fi and comics and animation and The Lord of the Rings and wrestling, then people don't pigeon-hole it as much. You get more people coming in and you get people who have never even looked at Spiderman in a comic.

"That's how you grow an industry.

"That's what the trading card guys see - they're going to make some money plus it's the best advertising they could possibly get. You get the fans who don't even know you exist, and you get the fans who don't even know they're fans.

"I'm sure every show we get someone who walks away with a totally new comic collection or fantasy fetish," Geradts says.

You can tell how passionate Geradts is about Armageddon.

Old 23 Oct 2005, 03:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander
Default Re: Armageddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby
Heres some news about the Armegeddon games expo in Auckland, New Zealand, its been on since Saturday and will be finishing on Monday. It has all games from warhammer 40k to Magic cards and even wrestling.

In a decade it has gone from a male-dominated trading card and comic event to a show that caters not only for the whole family but for everyone from gamers to sci-fi junkies to animation fans.

There's even some live wrestling this year.

"Kids who are into comics like wrestling too," says expo founder and director Bill Geradts.

The first Armageddon, held at the Avondale raceway, attracted 2000 people. Now the event is held over three days at the Aotea Centre in Auckland and more than 30,000 people are expected.

In 1998, Geradts, an avid comic collector, started expanding the expo to cater for the public as well as comics fans.

"We looked at the show and we realised that was as big as it was going to get. If we do a comic show, all we get is comic fans. That's great and they'll buy more comics, but you don't get new fans.

"But if you do a show that's sci-fi and comics and animation and The Lord of the Rings and wrestling, then people don't pigeon-hole it as much. You get more people coming in and you get people who have never even looked at Spiderman in a comic.

"That's how you grow an industry.

"That's what the trading card guys see - they're going to make some money plus it's the best advertising they could possibly get. You get the fans who don't even know you exist, and you get the fans who don't even know they're fans.

"I'm sure every show we get someone who walks away with a totally new comic collection or fantasy fetish," Geradts says.

You can tell how passionate Geradts is about Armageddon.

And whats this has what to do with 40k ???

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 23 Oct 2005, 06:30   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ummm...Alot actully sometimes they bring out new items for games etc like warhammer 40k and have 40k tournaments and that there Lol so quite alot really. :P
Old 23 Oct 2005, 13:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby
Ummm...Alot actully sometimes they bring out new items for games etc like warhammer 40k and have 40k tournaments and that there Lol so quite alot really. :P
Where does it mention 40k?

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 23 Oct 2005, 21:47   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

lol right at the very top! lol and so yea. I don't wanna start an argument with any members on this so i want to make this straight, we are only friendly talking right? not turning this into an argument?
Old 23 Oct 2005, 22:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

not to be an ass, but Where the hell was the 40k? :P, I pretty much walked the whole of 'Geddon handing out fliers and I didnt see any Wargames period :'(
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 24 Oct 2005, 01:46   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I never went but theres mean't to be.