Warhammer 40K Forum

Cinema Preview :: DOOM - the Movie
Closed Thread
Old 25 Sep 2005, 15:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Cinema Preview :: DOOM - the Movie

Hey guys

The misses and myself recently sat through the film The Exorcism of Emily Rose, but it's not that film that I wish to talk about. Because that film was quite enjoyable. Something about broken women on the floor that have nasty mean faces and speak in tongues, while the men hide in corners completely terrified of them, I think. Anyhow, that was a fun film and quite well made compared to some of the other recent cinematic-trash that has tainted the big-screen. Being based, again based, upon a true story at least gives it a hint of realism. And it was enjoyable to see both sides of the story of the subject of possession and the scientific (well, movie-science) view point on the subject compared to the traditional and religious view points. They even brought in an anthropologist who studies possession from a scientific view point based in psychology, which was interesting. Anyhow, if you like possession films, this one is worth the pocket change if you have free time.

Now, on to the subject at hand. The Previews.

We all see previews at the theaters, and I have to admit, most of the time, I enjoy the previews more than the films (granted I don't get to pick every film I see, so I humbly sit through some rotten moments in time). The previews however, give me that childhood excitement and anticipation of a good story or possibly great film at hand. The last time I experienced this, was when I went to see Star Wars, which took my MVP for stupid films this year and I'm not even a fan really. The sole preview was the Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe that really had me going "Ohmagod! Ohmagawd! I'm SEEEE'n that... man! I can't wait!" And being shushed by the misses because I had upset the yoda-dress ups and other wookie-loving fanboys that were still playing with their plastic light-sabers.

Anyhow, this time around, I saw a preview that didn't get me excited, but actually made me depressed.

DOOM.

That's right, and it has known actors in it. Terrible ones I might add. Anyhow, it looks even cheesier and worse than Alien vs. Predator did, but I had to admit, I was surprised to even see the preview since this was a big hype thing for years saying it would be made into a film. Well, it's been so long that by now, all the kids in the theaters don't even know what Doom really is, and they just know of DOOM III which was released. So they don't really have that history that most of us will have, knowing that DOOM was one of those old-school games that was considered really "cool" that some still hold on to, or some merit as their first 3D headache.

And I won't ask you to, but you can silently admit that you remember the music and all the camel-grunting sounds of the bad guys.

So anyhow, this preview came on and I instantly knew what it was, because I noticed the "Daemons" with the guns. Plus, it just had that dark hallway with little guns thing going on. It was cheesy looking--really cheesy. I couldn't get over how stupid the daemons and monsters looked. But they had that classic face that you'll find in the old doom games (not the new one). Plus, the sounds of course. We all know the sound of the doors/gates that open and close up and down and we all know that grumble and snarl sound before the plasma starts being fired. It's classic to say the least.

Not to mention, half the movie is portrayed in "First Person" mode so you see your weapon bobbing in front of you as it fires. Don't forget your Aspirin.
The highlights of the film however, is the classic feel of an old friend (an old game in this case) and the fun filmed drama of actually seeing someone use a chainsaw on a big nasty fat daemon in the movies. Huzzah!

So... here's to my biggest-expected-flop of the century. The video-game movie that would be more anticipated than Tomb Raider: Doom!

May she grace the screens, and then grace the afterlife....

And for those of you fortunately enough not to see this preview: http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/doom/

Cheers!
Old 25 Sep 2005, 22:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Warbird Send a message via MSN to Warbird
Default Re: Cinema Preview :: DOOM - the Movie

This is one of those movies that all people who think it is the greatest movie ever should be shot into the sun or something.

I am a ordinary person living a extrodinary life
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/
Not as good as pron but it's damned close
http://www.turnsignalsonalandraider.com/
Poke'em in the eye
Old 26 Sep 2005, 10:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

Bit harsh considering it's not out yet... But ye gods, it IS resident evil in space with the extra little gimmick: it's an FPM. First person movie. I was hoping MalVeauX was joking. Oh, how wrong was I.

This is very very very very very BAD.

I'm also no fan of the scriptwriter's trend to act like genetic research will be the end of the world as we know it and kill us all in our sleep. Dudes, it has been done so much, please, just go back to the more traditional old ideas like portal to hell and stuff.

Sad thing is, it could have been a Resident Evil after all. Not related to the original games in canon terms, but nonetheless an acceptable waste of a few hours. But no. They put the FPS gimmick in, and ruin it on the spot.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 18:53   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I can tell already they've screwed it up...

Plot of DooM is stupidly simple: Portal to hell opens, Demons come out, single over-gunned Marine blows it out of them.

They seem to have drawn too much on Doom 3... a fatal error.

Edit by Tau Online: Watch the language, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 27 Sep 2005, 23:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

wouldent it be cool if they had the health bar and the face in the bottom of the screen during the entire movie? hahaha, just kidding. Anyway, I think it looks way rad!
Old 28 Sep 2005, 00:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think it's a safe bet to assume the movie is going to suck. And if it doesn't, I guess it will be a pleasant surprise. We'll have to wait and see. It's a well-known fact that movies based on video games are god-awful... except for the the first Mortal Kombat movie. That was awesome.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 19:09   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Resident Evil: Apocalypse had some good points. Nemesis for one... and that's it. Ah well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 28 Sep 2005, 19:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

awww crap. yet another game i will never want to play again.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 20:48   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

Resident Evil Apocalypse had NO good points. You could see the fold line in Nemisis's mask in some parts. He looked less realistic then Kermit The Frog.

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 13 Nov 2005, 05:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Bump. Just watched the Doom Movie.

Note: I wasn't actually expecting it to be good at all. Basically I expected the 0/10 movie that I read about.

That said, it turned out to be awesome, and hilarious at times. All due to extremely low expectations.

But, I really don't know what to say, without spoiling much. You really have to expect it to be completely.. not good, and then suspend your disbelief as to the realism of various aspects, and the military/warfare tactics employed, and then, it becomes a good action movie. Thats all it is really, an eye-candy action movie. With some plot to it.