Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500pt Army List
Old 14 May 2010, 07:55   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 1500pt Army List

I have mostly picked units I like for this list, rather than trying to construct a tough-as-nails list. It's not really designed to take on any particular foe. Any comments or criticisms would be greatly appreciated.

HQ
Eldrad Ulthran - 210pts
Autarch with reaper launcher and chainsword - 100pts

Elites
6 Striking Scorpions including Exarch with Shadowstrike and Claw - 143pts

Troops
6 Pathfinders - 144pts
10 Dire Avengers including Exarch with dual shuricats and bladestorm - 152pts
10 Wraithguard + Spiritseer with enhance and singing spear - 399pts

Fast Attack
1 Vyper with scatter laser and underslung shuriken catapault - 70pts

Heavy Support
2 War Walkers with EMLs 140pts
Wraithlord with 2 flamers, wraithsword and bright lance - 140pts

I believe that brings the total points to 1498.

I am still unsure about a few choices, though:

Vyper: Should I stick with the current weaponry, or replace the scatter laser with an EML? Should I still keep the shuriken cannon?
War Walkers: If I give the vyper an EML, then I would probably give the war walkers scatter lasers (or a scatter laser/EML combo).
Autarch: I'm really not sure about the autarch. I equipped him to act as a bodyguard for the rangers and snipe away with them. However, I could free up some points and give him the wings I have lying in my bits box - but this would probably leave him stranded away from my army. I could also replace him with a farseer.

As a side note, the wraithlord would probably stick with the wraithguard and spiritseer. Eldrad would probably join them (or the DAs) as they advance on the enemy.

If I decide to take this up to 2000pts, then I would be looking at including a prism, a wave serpent, maybe jetseers or a jetrarch for the second HQ choice after eldrad, and perhaps warp spiders. If I altered my current list, then these units would be my first choice. (Note: I currently own Eldrad, the war walkers, the DAs and the rangers, so they are definitely in the list.)
Old 21 May 2010, 11:17   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: 1500pt Army List

And it appears that no one cares about my army list. Fair enough, I guess. I suppose most of you have lives to keep you busy.
Old 25 May 2010, 20:25   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Here are some tweaks that I would do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [MuffinMan
link=topic=96631.msg1403867#msg1403867 date=1273820108]
HQ
Eldrad Ulthran - 210pts
I would drop the Autarch for some more oomf below

Elites

Troops
6 Pathfinders - 144pts
If you are going to be running these guys around the board, give the exarch PW and Shield. It's nice to be able to get saves against the big guns, and the added PW is nice.
10 Wraithguard + Spiritseer with enhance and singing spear - 399pts
Get embolden or conceal instead of enhance, that will help with either psyker rolls with Eldrad (missing psyker rolls with him can happen, trust me) or give your guys a conceal bonus as they march slowly up the field, not in cover.

Fast Attack
1 Vyper with scatter laser and underslung shuriken catapault - 70pts
Not a good weapon combo, you can't move and shoot very well... and thats what vypers do. I would honestly drop it for another walker.

Heavy Support
Walker added from points saved from Vyper
Another wraithlord. Great unit, maybe make the second one more shooty with EML and BL off the top of my head, it would cost 155

I believe that brings the total points to 1498.
I didn't work the points up because I don't have my book on me, but you may need to drop the third walker if you want to include the wraithlord.

I'll be honest with you, I was a bit uncomfortable working through your list because I am use to more mobile armies. Maybe when you expand to 2k, make parts of your army more mobile. Get wave serpents and another group of DA's. You mentioned Jetseers, they are nice but expensive (assuming you have a group of locks behind him). With Eldar you want to be flexible, because thats what we are all about.

Finalize your list and just play it is the best way to go about it. You'll find what is lacking and what works and just tweak your list from there.
CyberNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2010, 22:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808

Quote:
HQ
Eldrad Ulthran - 210pts
I would also suggest dropping the Autarch. The Autarch doesn't have a real job in this list, I wouldn't stick him with the Pathfinders. I think these points are best used elsewhere. I'm not a huge fan of Ulthran, sure he gives some nice perks but double Farseer is more interesting (and less expensive given right equipment). I would suggest a Fortuneseer for the Wraithguard and a Guideseer to go with Pathfinders. You could put your Walkers in the vicinity to guide them at the back, they have enough range.
Quote:
Elites
I would drop Shadowstrike, sure they can't infiltrate but else their going to be cut off from your army. Maybe use them as counter-assault units, walk them behind those Wraithguard. If they decide to shoot them, no big deal those Wraithguard are still getting closer you get your coversave. You could up their numbers a bit with the points from Autarch, but keep most (for other comments).
Quote:
Troops
6 Pathfinders - 144pts
10 Wraithguard Spiritseer with enhance and singing spear - 399pts
Change enhance for conceal, this makes the unit though as nails. You could keep enhance if there's enough cover on the table. A unit of Wraithguard can wreak havoc if enhanced.
The other options are sollid.
Quote:
Fast Attack
1 Vyper with scatter laser and underslung shuriken catapult - 70pts
A sole Vyper is a dead Viper. Either give him some backup from the leftover points from the Autarch or drop him.
Quote:
Heavy Support
I would say drop the lance on the Lord. Sure he doesn't have any AT anymore but your list has plenty. I'd say go Sword only, run him as often as possible to close in fast. A Wraithlord in combat with the right unit can lock them down and even wipe them. If you decided to drop the Autarch and Vyper then add either another Lord or 2 Walkers. Otherwise leave as is.

I don't know how valid my advice is, as I'm still only playtesting my Iyanden list on VASSAL. But the list isn't bad, just a little tweaks needed. The one advice I would really like that you'd follow, is the dropping of the Autarch. I haven't seen him in many games and for good reason, the Farseer is just better at supporting our troops. So you have some free points to spent on either Scorps, Walkers or Vypers. Let us know what you'd like to change or what you can change.

Greetz

Pisces_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2010, 09:22   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hey, thanks for the advice guys.

I reckon you are probably right about the single vyper... two of them would probably be a better idea. Another Wraithlord would be nice too (monetary expenses aside). And I had been considering the double farseer combo as well... the Autarch just ends up being a little underwhelming.

I'll mull over your comments and see what happens when I scrape together enough money to finalize the list.

Just one correction, @Cybernomad: the shimmershield for the DAs only works in close combat. While it is still handy, it is no use against big guns... so I would rather use the points elsewhere.

And Pisces, I think I might just try out that Vassal thing you mentioned. So far I've only heard a little about it but it could be handy.

[Edit: ARR! The vassal site appears to have karked it... possibly as late as yesterday morning.]
Old 26 May 2010, 15:26   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Woops, I haven't touched my army in a while and forgot that important nugget of info.
CyberNomad is offline   Reply With Quote