Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1850 Iyanden vs. Blood Angels
Old 09 May 2010, 03:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 1850 Iyanden vs. Blood Angels

I'm just starting Eldar and I had my first proxy battle against the blood angels at 1850 points. I was slaughtered, but pulled off a draw and almost a win with some creative last turn objective action. My footslogging echelon was thwarted by a land raider being deep struck along with a sanguinary jump squad with Dante and some sort of gunship holding marines and a psyker, winged dread. To counter these tactics I have prepared the following list, any advice or help, this list or eldar vs. blood angels altogether, would be highly appreciated. Thank You.

2x Farseer with spirit stones, fortune and doom.
Each attatched to a 5 man Dire Avenger Squad.

2x 10 Wraithguard with Spiritseer with enhance

3x Wraithlord with Brightlance and two with wraithsword.

10 Howling Banshees with Exarch with Executioner and Acrobatic.

The wraithlords will be deployed in front of the two squads of wraithguard. The Banshees will be hiding right behind the wall to surge and countercharge any cc threats that get to close. The Dire Avengers will hold any rear points and will protect the farseers until they hold an objective, the farseers will then transfer to a wraith squad. I intend to march up the field incinerate anything sitting on objectives and plop my guard on them to hold. The wraith lords will soak up shots and hit enemy armor from afar. Simple, Slow, yet hopefully effective.

Battle is a Symphony. Every soldier an instrument, Every footstep a note, Every shot a resounding bass, Every clash of swords a sweeping solo. The autarch, the general and the conductor must hear the central harmony. Know when to keep the rhythm, Know when to change key, Know when to bait and lure, Know when to explode with sheer power, Know every aspect of his work till it's creschendo builds to that inexorable and explosive climax that leaves the enemy bloody, broken and shattered. A true master creates a new melody every time and rarely falls back on old tunes.

Crusader777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2010, 12:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman
Default Re: 1850 Iyanden vs. Blood Angels

Blood Angels is still an army I'm trying to figure out. But the gist of it as far as I can understand so far is as follows:

They're opposite of Space Wolves in some of the strongest areas. Space Wolves had a hard focus on HQ choices that give you the edge of destruction in support of your troops. Blood Angels have a strong and hard focus instead on their troops. They're really hard to deal with because all of their basic troops, even though they're expensive, have a wide variety of options and are hardcore in their own way.

They're Space Marines with speed and attitude. There's a lot of flashy things that are attractive, but when pulled together right, the expenses of different units can make up for each other. On the other hand, it's entirely possible to base an army around the infantry and/or Troop choices and win. You can win with nothing but Troop Choices because they're all so great in their own way.

If that wasn't bad enough, they have vehicles that are in-your-face. This is actually a unique and unusual aspect as the only army that could pull that off for a long while was Eldar. When you combine cheap Imperial vehicles that are in-your-face with a fast Space Marine army, even though you'll be a bit fewer in number, you're facing an unstoppable tidal wave of woe and despair. No army should be that skilled, that tough, and yet that fast. They are the ultimate in counter-counter attack.

The best way to defeat the Blood Angels, strategically speaking in the broadest terms, is defensively. It took me awhile to figure that out because all of the army lists I make I prefer to be counter attack armies. The enemy tries to move in, push me around, and I push back with an unceasing flow of punishing force. The problem is that's exactly what the Blood Angels want you to do. They're fast enough to be able to take the punishment and strike back while all of your forces are concentrated.

All of their unites are geared towards this in some way. The Dreadnoughts are designed to lay waste to your speed bumps. The Priests keep the men alive and going with force to hit. Baal Predators and other light, heavily-armed vehicles are to shoot up the enemy along the way lending support in the enemy's own lines to spread out their firepower. Land Raiders can Deep Strike or carry the basic troops as dedicated transports. Models with Jump Packs can barely, if ever, scatter to just be there without being stopped. And in the mass of the confusion, you have no clue who to attack.

Some lists will only focus hard on one or two of these aspects and carry it off to the fullest in a spam. The really good lists will utilize it in a balanced setting of applied force from multiple directions. Reminds me a lot of Tyranids actually, only instead of taking awhile to kill off eventually in numbers, they're much smaller in number, faster, and tougher.

If a Blood Angels opponent wants to make the best use of his Codex, he'll come to you (and he will). There's no sense in moving out to meet him. Normally what you have listed is too slow to face most armies but you don't have to worry about that with Blood Angels because they'll come to you.

What point-games are you aiming for? Are you going up against a particular opponent/list?

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2010, 14:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well the standard game tends to be 1850, but we're both starting these sides and just getting them down tactically with proxy battles until our models are done so the lists could vary considerably, but this is his go to list he's refining. He's coming from an imperial guard background and myself from black templars. I listed his choices as best I can remember. My list was designed as a wave counter attack and envelop, but I was forced to stretch it into a trident envelop instead, due to the fact I had no time to set up till he was on me. My left prong was holding a point with rangers and had striking scorpions hold up an assault squad both full numbers. My right prong had ten guardians with brightlance and 3 War Walkers with two missile launchers and a brightlance heading torwards an open point. He countered that by deepstriking a land raider and unleashing hell. He deep struck a jump pack sanguinary guard or something like that with dante right to the left of my central prong and full speeded a gunship to the middle with a psyker dread and ten marines. My central prong had an avatar, 3 War Walkers, same, A farseer in a fully decked out avenger squad and two squads of guardians with missile launchers. His tactic: Divide, crush and consume, perfectly mimicking my trident.

Battle is a Symphony. Every soldier an instrument, Every footstep a note, Every shot a resounding bass, Every clash of swords a sweeping solo. The autarch, the general and the conductor must hear the central harmony. Know when to keep the rhythm, Know when to change key, Know when to bait and lure, Know when to explode with sheer power, Know every aspect of his work till it's creschendo builds to that inexorable and explosive climax that leaves the enemy bloody, broken and shattered. A true master creates a new melody every time and rarely falls back on old tunes.

Crusader777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2010, 22:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader777
Well the standard game tends to be 1850, but we're both starting these sides and just getting them down tactically with proxy battles until our models are done so the lists could vary considerably, but this is his go to list he's refining. He's coming from an imperial guard background and myself from black templars. I listed his choices as best I can remember. My list was designed as a wave counter attack and envelop, but I was forced to stretch it into a trident envelop instead, due to the fact I had no time to set up till he was on me. My left prong was holding a point with rangers and had striking scorpions hold up an assault squad both full numbers. My right prong had ten guardians with brightlance and 3 War Walkers with two missile launchers and a brightlance heading torwards an open point. He countered that by deepstriking a land raider and unleashing hell. He deep struck a jump pack sanguinary guard or something like that with dante right to the left of my central prong and full speeded a gunship to the middle with a psyker dread and ten marines. My central prong had an avatar, 3 War Walkers, same, A farseer in a fully decked out avenger squad and two squads of guardians with missile launchers. His tactic: Divide, crush and consume, perfectly mimicking my trident.

Exactly as I predicted. What did I say about that counter-attack strategy? ;D

Yeah what you have should be better, but Dante won't be phased about who's in front of what because he can Deep Strike without scattering at all. Most of the other units will also Deep Strike not too far. As usual, the best thing to do is just pick up the Codex, read through it, and try making a few army lists with it.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2010, 16:11   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The only thing I would say is that you NEED a fire prism in any eldar list at that amount of points. Although if the blood angels player was good at what they play, they would squash most eldar armies like a bug, except for a fully mobile jetbike army.
W40kG is offline   Reply With Quote