Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Just starting, advice?
Old 23 Jan 2009, 20:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Just starting, advice?

okay I have yet to get the codex, but for the moment I was wondering what a good basic force to get would be, I'll have about $130 to spend on them but I'd like to know a little in advance what you guys thought would be the best army i can get for that. Oh and since my other army is a tau army i'd like to specialize in superfast close combat if possible.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2009, 20:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Just starting, advice?

Welcome to Eldar! I hope you enjoy. Please note that there's typically a pretty steep learning curve. So it might be frustrating for a little while. But once you get the hang of playing Eldar, they are loads of fun.

So, I'll answer your question with a question. What type of army are you looking to field? Do you want elite units like Aspect Warriors (BelTain)? Durable, slow units like Wraithguard (Iyanden)? Fast flexible units like Jetbikes (Samhain)? Long ranged shooty units like Rangers(Altioc)?Or cheap expendible units like Guardians (Ulthwe)?

Your answer to that question (your army preference) will strongly influence my answer to you.

If we go the generic route (to allow you to figure out what you like to field), I'm going to make a few suggestions.

Suggestion #1 is that you buy your stuff from an online retailer. Many of them offer 20% discounts. If you are looking for reputable ones, PM me and I'll send you two that I buy from normally. If your local hobby store offers a discount or if you have strong feelings about not buying online, then by all means buy locally. But I'll assume you're going to get a 20% discount on whatever you buy.

So, from there, we need three things: HQ, 2 Troops and a Codex.

The codex is going to set you back $22.00. So now we're down to $108.

Now, we can go a few different routes here. I'm going to go with a Guardian heavy force for a number of reasons. #1, it's the best way to get into the game, in my opinion, and they offer a good combination of ranged and close support shooting. They also have more options than any of the other troop types. So you can vary your units to suit your need.

So let's grab an HQ. Take a Farseer with Warlocks box for $26.00. You're getting an HQ choice (either a Farseer & Warlock Bodyguard or a Farseer then Warlocks for your squads). This offers you good flexibility and the models are great looking. You could take an Autarch instead. But I think that in low points games (and when you're starting out) the Farseer is the more solid choice.

Now to Troops. Buy 3 boxes of Eldar Guardians for $26.00 each. These boxes give you a squad of 10 and a heavy weapon. You can, if you chose, put a Warlock in command of each squad. Try it both ways and see what you like. With only 10 models per squad and no Skimmer transport, you might need a Warlock with either Conceal or Embolden to help the unit out a little in terms of durability. You can pick a heavy weapon assortment that suits your list. You've got anti-infantry, anti-tank...everything. I'd suggest modling the platform so that you can swap guns.

That gives you $104 plus your codex...presto $130.00.

Your list is going to run about 500 points. And you're all ready to pick up transports, elites, and other special units as you decide.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2009, 01:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

Well I want an army that's pretty to look at, the tau have some pretty awesome tanks, vehicles and armor, but they themselves are hideous. They are also highly mobile shooty, So basically I was looking for a counterpoint to my tau army: something still highly mobile, close combat oriented (aspect warriors or harliquins), Beautiful figures (sorry, I am a guy) and still some awesome looking armor (in particular, the wraithlord.)
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2009, 01:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Okay, then what about this?

Wraithlord - $32.00
Harlequins - $24.00
Shadowseer - $5.60
2 Dire Avengers - $24.00/$48.00
Farseer - $12.00

That gets you to $121.00...but without a codex. But if you can carry a little bit more money with it, you'd be pretty well off.

That's about 650 points of material.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote