Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New 40k Player Needing Critique on 1000 Point Eldar
Old 17 Nov 2008, 17:08   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New 40k Player Needing Critique on 1000 Point Eldar

First I would like to say hello to all of you in the Eldar forums. I have been trolling around for a few weeks now, here and on other forums, trying to get an idea of different tactics and builds. I really decided on the Eldar because of their variety of units and they way they must all work in sync to take out the enemy while trying to not expose your weaknesses. The delicate dance of battle.

So anyways, to the list.

HQ
Doomseer 80

Elites
6 Striking Scorpions w/ Exarch Scorpions Claw & Shadow strike

Troops
6 Pathfinders

10 guardians w/ EML

10 Dire Avengers w/ Exarch, Dual Shuri & Bladestorm

Fast Attack
6 Swooping Hawks w/ Exarch, Intercept, Sunrifle

Heavy
5 Dark Reapers w/ Exarch, Crackshot, Tempest Launcher

Total 994

Basically use the Hawks and Scorpions to keep foot units busy, or if need to use the Hawk's to tankbust. Lay down fire with the Reapers and Guardian EML. Keep Guardians back for cover on Reapers/ Pathfinders. Use pathfinders for MC's and any cleanup. Move unit of Dire Avengers up with Doomseer. Doom and lay down dakka with DA's. Or use DA's back when up against heavy Deep strike/ infiltrating force.

Would appreciate any advice.
CyberNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 22:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: New 40k Player Needing Critique on 1000 Point Eldar

Honestly, I don't see a lot to change here. Everything is strong and there aren't a whole lot of points that can be cut. You've got a good balance, but perhaps a slightly slow list. Still, you've got enough shooting power to overcome that. Not much else to say really.

Welcome to the forums!
Em/Aureus
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 01:18   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the reply. Now you say it is a slow list, and I guess it really is. Other than getting a Wave Serpent for my Dire Avengers, what else would be a good expansion of this army to upgrade it from 1000 to 1500 and make it more mobile?
CyberNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 01:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to phish

For mobilization i personally love shining spears, vypers, and jetbikes. Shining spears are basically untouchable when used right, charging anything you send them after. Vypers equipped with EML or a bright lance are perfect mobile anti-tank gunners. I personally use them in pairs with EML's. And guardian jetbikes are excellent for laying down dakka and then zooming across the field to snag that last minute objective.
phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 01:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberNomad
Thanks for the reply. Now you say it is a slow list, and I guess it really is. Other than getting a Wave Serpent for my Dire Avengers, what else would be a good expansion of this army to upgrade it from 1000 to 1500 and make it more mobile?
Really, I think that Wave Serpents are our superior mobile tank right now. Personally, I've been liking Vypers of late (with EML & Shuriken Cannon) and Guardian Jetbikes have potential, but I haven't been able to make them work yet.

It really depends on how you want to run. If you're looking for a dance of death list (orchestrating your components to win) then go Vypers because they'll let you have a cheap and potent unit that can go after enemy targets. If you're looking to expand into a mech list, go Wave Serpents.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 15:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, you do seem to lack anti-tank. I would add a war walker or wraithlord with twin linked bright lances, maybe instead of the Swooping hawks. Also, your list is a bit slow. Taking out the Hawks would make that problem worse. Instead, consider dropping the Dark Reapers for either a falcon, fire prism, or wave serpent with twin linked bright lances. The first and third option making your list more mobile and killing 2 birds with one stone.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 16:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

The list looks pretty good, the only thing I'd consider changing would be the hawks, but that's more personal preference and depends on who you're playing. As for 1500pts, A wave serpent for your avengers would be great, and if you find yourself needing more anti-tank a squad of dragons in a cheap falcon could work well to add some mobile AT punch.
I can't believe games workshop are really that unorganised. The DE codex looks like it was made back in 1970 and yet they're more worried about making sure the space marines are walking around in diamond coated power armour and shooting tyranids with sequin covered bolters
Deris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2008, 16:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

It looks like your only anti-tank is that EML fired by the questionably accurate guardians. That's going to hurt you.

Can you swap out the scorpions for a few dragons, dump the guardians, plus the points saved from the scorpion exarch can get them a Wave serpent?

Also, bladestorm on a large squad of avengers is best used with a Wave Serpent, so you can hop back on and relocate during your 'cooldown' turn after you bladestorm. If you dont have the points for a serpent for your Avengers, then defend is a better power than bladestorm.

Footslogging avengers are better used without it due to the ability to pour on dakka fire every turn. If they are on foot you might be better off giving a big squad like them 'defend' power, along with a shimmershield exarch to tie up enemy assaults with a bit of reliability.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote