Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mech Eldar, first try!
Old 03 Nov 2008, 22:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to phish
Default Mech Eldar, first try!

Okay well, my brother recently went off to college and left me his eldar army. I unfortunately don't know much about writing eldar lists! I'm supposed to play my friend this weekend and wondered how this list would hold out. (hes playing mech tau).

Mech Eldar-2000 points

HQ-
Autarch 80
power sword

Elites-
10 Howling Banshees 178
Exarch with Executioner

Wave Serpent 140
Shuriken Cannon, VE, SS

6 Fire Dragons 116
Exarch with Firepike

Wave Serpent 140
Shuriken Cannon, VE, SS

8 Harlequins 206
Kisses, Troupe Master

Wave Serpent 140
Shuriken Cannon, VE, SS

Troops-
11 Dire Avengers 154
Exarch with Diresword

Wave Serpent 140
Shuriken Cannon, VE, SS

12 Dire Avengers 166
Exarch with Diresword

Wave Serpent 140
Shuriken Cannon, VE, SS

Heavy Support-
Falcon 200
Bright Lance, ShCannon
Holo Fields, Spirit Stones

Falcon 200
Bright Lance, ShCannon
phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2008, 23:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Mech Eldar, first try!

A couple notes initially:
1) Harlequins cannot take Wave Serpents.
2) The Fire Dragons could probably hitch a ride in a Falcon, freeing up their Wave Serpent for the Harlequins.
3) Dire Avengers with a close combat focus might be the single worst waste of a good shooty unit.

My suggestions:
1) Kit your Avengers out for shooting with Dual Catapults and Bladestorm.
2) Drop the Harley's Wave Serpent and consider grabbing a couple Vypers.
3) Consider taking Scatter Lasers instead of Shuriken Cannons for added range and shots.

Hope this helps a little.
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 17:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for pointing those things out Aureus. I wasn't aware that harlequins couldnt take transports, or that falcons could! With that in mind i put in a farseer to help out the dire avengers. I wish i had more time to fine tune this, but i have a game in about an hour, so thanks!

HQ- Farseer 120
Guide, Doom, Spirit Stones

Autarch 90
Powersword, mandiblasters

Elites- 10 Howling Banshees 178
Exarch with Executioner

Wave Serpents-140
TL Shuriken Cannon
Vectored Engines
Spirit Stones

6 Fire Dragons 116
Exarch with Firepike

Wave Serpents-140
TL Shuriken Cannon
Vectored Engines
Spirit Stones

8 Harlequins 206
Kisses, Troupe Master

Troops- 10 Dire Avengers 152
Exarch 2xShuriken Cannons
Bladestorm

Wave Serpents-155
TL Scatter Lasers
Vectored Engines
Spirit Stones

10 Dire Avengers 152
Exarch 2xShuriken Cannons
Bladestorm

Wave Serpent 155
TL Scatter Lasers
Vectored Engines
Spirit Stones

Heavy Support- Falcon 200
Bright Lance, ShCannon

Falcon
Bright Lance, ShCannon 200

Old 05 Nov 2008, 06:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Looks good, good luck and tell us how your game goes.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2008, 13:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aureus
1) Harlequins cannot take Wave Serpents.
2) The Fire Dragons could probably hitch a ride in a Falcon, freeing up their Wave Serpent for the Harlequins.
Did I miss something, or did you contradict yourself?
To elaborate, Under each unit entry in the army list, it states if they are allowed to take a Wave Serpent as Transport. The Falcon entry says that it may carry any 6 infantry except Wraithguard.

I agree with putting the Dragons in the Falcon and axe the Serpent.
At 2000 points, you need waaaaay more troops. Try to get four squads in, if possible.
Consider cutting your Harlequins back to six and put them in your other Falcon. Between that and dropping the extra transport, you should be able to squeeze some more troops in. Since you are going with a "fast" list, Jetbikes might be a good addition.

The key to equipping weapons on your transport is to use something that complements the unit it's carrying. For example, if you have a Falcon with Fire Dragons, grab a Shuricannon or Scatter Laser to maximize your shots when the Dragons are outnumbered. Conversely, Assault units like Banshees should be complemented with heavier weapons like Starcannons or Bright Lances just in case they're staring down the barrel of a tank that their power swords can't cut.

I assume, since you are going mech, that your ICs will be joined up with other units. Where are you going to have them hang out?
Old 05 Nov 2008, 13:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthIbis
I miss something, or did you contradict yourself?
To elaborate, Under each unit entry in the army list, it states if they are allowed to take a Wave Serpent as Transport. The Falcon entry says that it may carry any 6 infantry except Wraithguard.
I believe what Aureus was saying was to take the wave serpent as a dedicated transport for the fire dragons, but not load them in it. Then on turn one the dragons could hop in the falcon and the harlies could jump in the dragon's dedicated wave serpent.
I can't believe games workshop are really that unorganised. The DE codex looks like it was made back in 1970 and yet they're more worried about making sure the space marines are walking around in diamond coated power armour and shooting tyranids with sequin covered bolters
Deris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2008, 16:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deris87
I believe what Aureus was saying was to take the wave serpent as a dedicated transport for the fire dragons, but not load them in it. Then on turn one the dragons could hop in the falcon and the harlies could jump in the dragon's dedicated wave serpent.
Although I see nothing in the way with "dance with the girl you came with" in the rules that would prevent tank swapping from happening, it seems a bit cheesy to me, not to mention that you'd be wasting a turn on switching units. I say, if you have two Falcons on the board, just use them. 8 Harlequins and 10 Banshees is a bit overkill on the assault against a mech oriented list anyway.

If you know your opponent is running a mech list, consider taking Swooping Hawks, Wraithguard, or more Fire Dragons.
Old 05 Nov 2008, 17:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Actually, I'm pretty sure that you are now supposed to be able to use any transport for any squad, considering the notes that are made in various FAQS. So Harlequins using the Dragons Serpent is not only Legal, but completely acceptable.
Old 06 Nov 2008, 02:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well i played the game and it ended up in a draw. We drew straight kill points and annihilation. I definitely do need more troops though is one thing i realized. He was able to maximise firing at units and take out a couple too fast. I also realized that aspect warriors are extremely deadly even in small numbers, which i something i should have taken more advantage of.

I think im going to cut down the numbers on a few of the elites and then try and squeeze in a unit of jetbikes, which i think would match my theme, or a unit of guardians for stable support. Which one do you think would work better?
Old 06 Nov 2008, 03:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autarch Novas
Actually, I'm pretty sure that you are now supposed to be able to use any transport for any squad, considering the notes that are made in various FAQS. So Harlequins using the Dragons Serpent is not only Legal, but completely acceptable.
I believe you're thinking about the rules that tie a specific transport vehicle to a specific unit that some armies (like Black Templars) have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Edition Rulebook FAQ 10/2008
Q. My Imperial Guard or Black Templar Codex says that dedicated transports can only be used by the unit they’ve been bought for. Is that overruled by the new way dedicated transports
work in 5th Edition?
A. No, if a Codex clearly says that dedicated transports can only be used during the game by the unit that bought them, that overrules the general rule in the rulebook, as normal. Obviously some armies are stricter than others about transport regulations!
Eldar transports are not dedicated to a specific unit in the same way, and as I stated, I don't think there is a prohibition on a squad of Harlequins boarding a Wave Serpent that you deployed with a different unit. It does appear, however, that you can not initially deploy them together since Harlequins are not given the "transport" option in the army list. (Not that it's official, but it's not available to select in Army Builder either.)

With the point of the unit being to swiftly penetrate the enemy line and strike quickly, it still doesn't make sense to take a turn or two to mess around with trying to jerry-rig transports so it's "technically" legal when other viable options are clearly on the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish
I think im going to cut down the numbers on a few of the elites and then try and squeeze in a unit of jetbikes, which i think would match my theme, or a unit of guardians for stable support. Which one do you think would work better?
It mainly depends on what you want to do with them. If you plan to stay mobile and try to skirmish/harass him, then Jetbikes are a good option since you can move/shoot/move. The positive for Guardians is that they're the cheapest models (point-wise) you can get and you can field a lot of them (max 20) in a squad and they take a heavy weapon as well. They're decent enough for core troops, but I personally tend to shy away from them since they don't work well with my style. (But that's just me.)