Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 pt Mech list for battle against Chaos
Old 08 Oct 2007, 15:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to whitestar333
Default 1500 pt Mech list for battle against Chaos

So my friend is in love with the new Chaos codex and I want to challenge him with some good ol' eldar love! Recently I've moved my army more in the mechanized direction rather than having so many Wraithguard (mostly because I hardly ever play any marine armies). So I developed a list to hopefully combat his Chaos.

I can tell you that he loves obliterators and will likely take 3-6 of them and no vehicles. Also I can expect to see any of the following: noise marines, plague marines, thousand sons. He loves the new possessed as well, so I will likely see 1-2 squads of them. He's also interested in getting a sorcerror with gift of chaos, so I'm concerned because of the low T of the eldar. Anyway here's the list (without points costs but it adds up to 1495)

HQ
Autarch - Fusion Gun, Power Weapon, Mandiblasters

Elites
6 Harlequins - 4 with kisses and one with a fusion pistol, includes Death Jester, Troupe Master with Power Weapon and fusion pistol

Troops
10 Dire Avengers - Includes Exarch with 2 Catapults and Bladestorm
mounted in a Wave Serpent with TL-Shuriken Cannons, extra Cannon, and Spirit Stones
Troops
10 Dire Avengers - Includes Exarch with 2 Catapults and Bladestorm
mounted in a Wave Serpent with TL-Shuriken Cannons, extra Cannon, and Spirit Stones

Fast
3 Shining Spears - Includes Exarch with Star Lance, Shuriken Catapult, Withdraw

Heavy
Falcon with Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Holo-Fields, Spirit Stones
Heavy
Fire Prism with Holo-Fields, Spirit Stones
Heavy
Fire Prism with Holo-Fields, Spirit Stones

The Autarch will be riding in a serpent with the dire avengers to take advantage of a bladestormed fusion gun which will be useful against something like his sorcerror/obliterators (they can be instant-killed right?). The harlequins have been useful in the past loading them up in the falcon so that I can unload them, shoot off some shots, and then charge the remaining units. I foresee these guys being key in taking out the obliterators. The shining spears will be used mostly as counter-charge and finishing off his squads wherever I need them. I'll definitely be taking advantage of the move-shoot-move with the cannon until I feel safe to bring them out to play.
I was unsure about whether to take more starcannons or keep with my standard shuriken cannon. Starcannons are expensive and I don't know where I'd scratch off points to make room for them. Also my serpents are notorious for getting destroyed early, and the falcon spends most of the game shaken, so I think that starcannons would go largely unused. Plus I know my friend fails 3+ saves at a reasonable rate for me to just make him roll for saves.

What do you all think?
whitestar333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2007, 17:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: 1500 pt Mech list for battle against Chaos

This should probably be in the army lists subforum, but I'll throw in my 2c anyways

First thing is that bladestorm only affects shuriken weapons, so you'd still get just 1 shot with the autarch's fusion gun.
Second thing is that I think your harlies are too tricked out, especially if there's no shadowseer. Remember that if your Falcon goes down, you're probably going to lose the entire squad in a turn, through the crash or the subsequent shooting. I'd personally drop the pistols in order to take vectored engines on the Falcon.

I think you've got enough S6 shots to handle marines unless he takes a whole bunch of Plague Marines...but even then you've got your Prisms. The Prisms and Falcon can also deal with vehicles at range.

The list is tight except for the harlequin squad - you should be fine, I think

Galvanize - C.M.A.P. represent!
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2007, 06:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to whitestar333
Default Re: 1500 pt Mech list for battle against Chaos

I didnt realize the whole bladestorm thing. I guess i was assuming a loophole that didn't exist. Guess it makes sense.

Anyway, I've used this harlie setup before, and the falcon very rarely dies. It usually just gets shaken and then I can drop off the harlies which are already in a great position so they dont need the shadowseer. In my mind the shadowseer is only necessary for footslogging harlies. These guys are intended to drop right in front of the enemy, move, shoot, and assault - specifically the oblits.
whitestar333 is offline   Reply With Quote