Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2000pt - Looking for major flaws
Old 26 Sep 2007, 19:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 2000pt - Looking for major flaws

Howdy, this is my first post here.

I'm coming back to 40k after a several year break, and am returning to Eldar. I love the new codex. I never played a vyper with a starcannon, so the only thing that feels nerfy to me in the new codex is the -1 to the wraithlord's attack. Other than that, the entire codex is happy news for me.

I'm playing with some guys from work, and will mainly be facing Chaos, with the occasional 'nids, tau, and marines. I'm by far the most experienced player, so I want my army list to remain very static while the other guys learn to play. That way they'll learn how to adapt their lists to mine, and can find some success based on army composition. That being said, I want a lot of tactical flexibility (movement) from my list.

Here is a rough draft of the list (and I know that it could be optimized for more killing potential, so I'll note where I'm playing something just because I like the model, etc.) Also, I left the list at my house so I don't have the exact points costs in some areas... The final points cost is correct though.

Autarch - 130
Bike, Lance, Mandiblasters

Farseer - 85
Fortune

6 Harlequins - 165
Shadowseer, 6 x Kiss

5 Wraithguard 215
Spirit Seer, Conceal

10 Dire Avengers A 307
Exarch, Extra Cat, Bladestorm
Wave Serpent
Twin Brightlance, hull Shurican Cannon, Vectored Engines, Spirit Stones

10 Dire Avengers A 307
Wave Serpent

10 Dire Avengers A 307
Wave Serpent

5 Shining Spears ??? Don't remember the exact cost
Exarch, Starlance, Withdraw, Shuricannon

Wraithlord A - 115
EML (Old model, and I love the way it's painted.. Can't go adding new fun toys to him)

Wraithlord B - 150 (If I remember correctly)
Starcannon, Shuricannon

Total points 1985 (I've got some tweaking to do still)

The strategic goal is two forces, one a wraithwall/ fortuneseer with a harlie backup; the other a fast 3 wave serpent, spears with autarch blitzing force. This configuration should give me the basic hammer / anvil scenario in just about any terrain configuration.

I'm looking for any general thoughts on the list, plus specific thoughts on the following tweaks.

1. Dropping the odd model or two from the Dire Avengers to beef up the wraithwall a bit.

2. Scraping up some points for spirit stones / doom for the seer to eliminate buried threats to the wraithwall.

3. Dropping a wraithlord for a falcon (again scraping together some points)

Thoughts? Comments? Snide Remarks?

Oh, and great community here - one of the best I've ever seen online.
tierdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2007, 20:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: 2000pt - Looking for major flaws

Bladestorm needs to go, it's useful sometimes but generally you get more kills out of normal firing than it. (Plus more points to spend)

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2007, 20:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Bladestorm needs to go, it's useful sometimes but generally you get more kills out of normal firing than it. (Plus more points to spend)
Would it be worth it to drop the exarch alltogether, or maybe give one or two of them a power weapon / shimmershield / defend combination to tie up units till the cavalry arives?
Old 26 Sep 2007, 20:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by tierdar
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Would it be worth it to drop the exarch alltogether, or maybe give one or two of them a power weapon / shimmershield / defend combination to tie up units till the cavalry arives?
The shimmershield can be very annoying. I only have experiance playing against the Eldar though, not fielding them. I will suggest a Falcon or two if you can swing the points, I know they're super hard to kill. I've heard it rumored that Eldar can do the Tau's Fish of Fury more effectively for slightly more points. I think it uses the firedragons for that.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2007, 21:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hi tierdar,

Welcome to the forums, and welcome back to the Eldar.

As the veteran of your gaming group- you'll want to have different kinds of threats on your list to help your guys understand the game mechanics better. And I think you've got the right idea here with the mix of skimmer-filled troops, monstrous creatures, assault and anti-tank. You've got a fortuned wraith-wall, and a blitzing autarch/spears on the same list- again this is all good. Let's see where we can tweak though:

- Harlequins are actually 162pts, and could benefit from a ride (falcon), or beef numbers to 8-10 for a solid countercharge unit on foot.

From the looks of it- the wraithguard are the only footslogging unit besides the wraithlords and farseer, so this is like a seige setup that gives you a little extra reach with wraithsight. You're spending 255pts on two wraithlords, which is a bargain (your wraithlord B is only 130pts), but I'd run this config:

Wraithlord A with EML 115pts

Wraithlord B with EML+ Scatter Laser 135pts

It's five points cheaper and gives you an extra anti-tank hitch, with a full effective range of 36", and excellent for horde-killing.

The Dire Avenger units are solid and should provide an overwhelming level of troop-level dakka, plus their wave serpents are great anti-tank. Nice units.

The Shining Spears are very expensive. At the very least I'd drop the shuricannon from the unit because you have 7 charging lance attacks 2 of which are S8, not including the 6 S6 that the Speartarch gets you.

So that's just my $0.02. It's a really nice list- and should do well.

- Yriel
Old 27 Sep 2007, 04:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ok, after a few adjustments; how's this? I dropped a shining spear, one dire avenger, the shurican on the spear exarch, and changed weapons on the second wraithlord. I'm kind of tempted to drop another spear in favor of another wraithguard, but with 5 I can always snag one of the serpents from the Dire Avengers and give it to the wraithguard... How's it look now?

Autarch 130
Bike, Mandiblasters, Lance

Farseer 85
Fortune

9 Harlequins 228
Kisses, Shadowseer

5 Wraithguard 221
Spiritseer, conceal

9 Dire Avenger A 295
Exarch, Dual Cats, Bladestorm
Wave Serpent
T.L. Brightlance, Shurican

10 Dire Avenger B 307
Wave Serpent

10 Dire Avenger C 307
Wave Serpent

4 Shining Spears 177
Exarch, Withdraw

Wraithlord A 115
EML

Wraithlord B 135
EML, Scatterlaser

2000 Total

I appreciate everyone's input and advice.