Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Just Starting elder need help with list
Old 10 Jul 2007, 02:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Just Starting elder need help with list

Hi i am a long time 40k player i normally play Tyranids but i am starting a elder army Its getting there slowly but i am not sure about how things work with the elder, so i have written up what i hope my army will be like so any comments would be welcome
thanks

HQ
Farseer with ghosthelm,rune armour, spritstone,
runea of witnessing, shruiken pistol, witchblade.
doom, fortune & guide
160Pt

Retinue
5 warlocks with rune armour, shruiken pistols.
2xsinging spears, 3x witchblades.
1x enhance 1x conceal 3x destructor.
190pt

Falcon grav tank
pulse lasers starcannon shrukien cannon
spiritstone, holofeild vectored engines.
215pts

Troops

Dire avengers
9 dire avengers - avenger shuriken catapult
1 exarch - 2 avenger shuriken catapults. badesstorm
152 pts

Ranger Pathfinders
10 Pathfinders - ranger long rifles shrukien pistols
192 pts

Elites
Howling Banshees
9 banshes - banshe mask, shruiken pistols & power weapons.
1 exarch - banshe mask & mirror swords
war shout & acrobatic
180pts

wave seperent for banshees
shruiken cannon, twinlinked star cannon, spiritstone,
vectored engines & star engines
175 pts

Harlquins
7 Harlquin flip belts, holosuit, shruiken pistols,
2x fussion pistols & Harlquins kiss
1 Troupe master - shruiken pistol Harlquins kiss
1 death jester - shrieker cannon
1 shadow seer - Veil of tears plasma grenedes Harlquins kiss
& shruiken pistol
256pts

Heavy Support.

Warwalker squad
1 starcannon & brightlance
2 scatter laser & brightlance
3 scatter laser & star cannon
245pts

Fire Prisam grav tank
prisam cannon, shruiken cannon, vectored engines,
spiritstones & holo fields
sprit stones
190 pts

(> &lt him achieve world domination

Gaunts may not cling to the Hive Tyrant for protection while claiming to be a bio-morph.

"98% of Teenagers have tried smoking pot OR drinking. If you've tried one of these and loved it, copy this into your signature"

Ever wanna be a Vampire Now you can click on link go you know you want to
http://s7.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=96862

to help progress the glory of the nids
Bachinfex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 02:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Just Starting elder need help with list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballchinfex
Hi i am a long time 40k player i normally play Tyranids but i am starting a elder army Its getting there slowly but i am not sure about how things work with the elder, so i have written up what i hope my army will be like so any comments would be welcome
thanks
Heya, welcome to Tau Online & to the Eldar boards! It's good to have you here. Just as a note, this should probably have gone under Eldar Army Lists (a sub-thread) but I'm sure a mod will move it there. Now...on to business:

Quote:
HQ
doom, fortune & guide
160Pt
Wow! He's expensive. I'd probably try to shave him down a bit. You'll never be able to use all three powers in a turn. That means you'll end up wasting points. It's better to pick one or two jobs for your Farseer to do and keep him doing that. It's best to just have one power, IMO, because of his low toughness.

Quote:
Retinue
190pt
Expensive, but doable. Especially with a dedicated Farseer. I'd keep Fortune on your seer (drop Stones, Guide and Doom) and use the Fortune to boost your saves. Also, Conceal is pretty worthless because of Rune Armor. It'll only help against weapons like Psycannons.

Quote:
Falcon grav tank
215pts
Excellent dakka & anti-MEQ power.

Quote:
Dire avengers
152 pts
I love you! Great configuration.

Quote:
Ranger Pathfinders
192 pts
Ouch! You'll have a hard time infiltrating these guys. I'd rather see 2x5. Likewise, you'll be able to split up your fire.

Quote:
Howling Banshees
war shout & acrobatic
180pts
Nice combo. Mirror Swords are iffy. But they look cool enough to use them anyway.

Quote:
175 pts
Good to go here. The Shu-cannon might be a bit much. But it's pleanty of firepower. One thing you might want to consider is using Scatter Lasers. Your Banshees can handle Marines well enough, but they'll struggle against swarms. The Scatter Lasers can help even the table.

Quote:
Harlquins
& shruiken pistol
256pts
Ouch! This unit will have a hard time making back their points. Don't get me wrong, they'll probably kill alot. But they could easily get tied up in a swarm of Gaunts or Orks. The Death Jester is counter-productive, IMO. You want to be in close combat with these guys - not shooting. Likewise, I'm not sold on the Troupe Master upgrade for the points. It'd be better to add another Harlequin. But if you've got points to burn, go for it.

Quote:
Warwalker squad
245pts
Absolute evilness. But I'm not following your break up. Do you have two squads of 3 here? If so, that's not too bad, but if one gets immobilized you have to either stay with it or take the VP hit.

Quote:
Fire Prisam grav tank
sprit stones
190 pts
Very hard. I like this tank with the new upgrades.

One final thing, I'm curious about your Warwalkers. You can have 3 per Heavy slot. However, your Falcon is also a heavy slot. So that's something you might want to address.

Hope this helps.
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 02:40   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the info i will take it on board i also forgot to say that it is a 2000pt list
There is only one warwalker squad sorry if it was confusing
The main people i will face will be marines and nurgle and maybe tyranids if one of my mates uses my army of stealers and big beasties

(> &lt him achieve world domination

Gaunts may not cling to the Hive Tyrant for protection while claiming to be a bio-morph.

"98% of Teenagers have tried smoking pot OR drinking. If you've tried one of these and loved it, copy this into your signature"

Ever wanna be a Vampire Now you can click on link go you know you want to
http://s7.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=96862

to help progress the glory of the nids
Bachinfex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 02:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballchinfex
Thanks for the info i will take it on board i also forgot to say that it is a 2000pt list
There is only one warwalker squad sorry if it was confusing
The main people i will face will be marines and nurgle and maybe tyranids if one of my mates uses my army of stealers and big beasties
Okay. Well, if you take what I said into consideration - you'll end up with some extra points.

One thing I still don't get is your War Walkers. Is the 1,2,3 simply for distinguishing the Walkers? I imagine so that'd get your points right. I didn't really look at that before ( :-[) my bad. I thought you were talking about 6 walkers. Stupid me.

As for your opponents. Well, Nurgle's tough for Eldar because of their toughness. Lots of Starcannon & Scatter Laser power can overwhelm that. Marines can go either way. Terminators are very tough, but Power Armor marines aren't so bad. They tend to fall quickly enough with massed fire. It's those dratted Termies that bother me (but I don't run any Starcannons either : )
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2007, 02:55   #5 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Yo, whats up? Welcome to Eldar.

Quote:
HQ
doom, fortune & guide
160Pt
F_E is right, this guy is expensive. You don't really need runes of witnessing, they hurt you more than they help And I would take guide of as a power. If he's in a retinue he won't get to use it. But I would keep doom to help support other units.

Quote:
Retinue
190pt
Drop conseal, you won't need it. I would consider giving them jetbikes and running them as a fast assault unit.

Quote:
Falcon grav tank
215pts
Looks good, but I perfer Scatter Lasers on my Falcon because of its BS3. You may not hit with any starcannon shots.

Quote:
Dire avengers
152 pts
I love you two! ;D I love this squad. You may want to squeeze in a Wave Serpent if you can find the points to make a fast Dakka squad that will make tau FOF look like armatures.

Quote:
Ranger Pathfinders
192 pts
I never could find a use for pathfinders or rangers. If you have to large a squad then it's hard infultrating them, but if you have to small a squad then its hard for them to hurt anything.

Quote:
Howling Banshees
war shout & acrobatic
180pts
My advice is to keep these girls in cover and NOT put them in a transport.

Quote:
175 pts
I would take this and give it to the Dire Avengers. Banshees have never performed well for me transported.

Quote:
Harlquins
& shruiken pistol
256pts
What F_E said.

Quote:
Warwalker squad
245pts
He has one squad of three I think.
I would give them all EML's and sit back and watch the fireworks. With the other weapons you have to get closer to the enemy, and you don't want to do that with War Walkers because of their fragility. EML's let you stay back and fire.

Quote:
Fire Prisam grav tank
sprit stones
190 pts
I'm not a big fan of Fire Prisems. You normally need two to get the most out of them, but this is nice.

Hope you do well.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 18:31   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to echo34

Well, you have a LOT of really big point sinks with a pretty low model count overall for 2000pts (but what eldar army doesn't have a low model count now-a-days ).

The Farseer needs to be cleaned up and trimmed down. Find one focused role for him/her to play and keep them simple. You don't want to be dropping 160 points into a single t3 model. As far as the retinue goes, that again is a large group that may need to be trimmed down a bit. I like the idea of jetbikes that someone proposed earlier, but that's still a TON of points for such a small unit. I'm guessing then too that you're using the falcon to transport these bad boys? I wouldn't recommend going nuts on the falcon either, as it will be a pretty big target also. As many people will tell you, any good player won't let you shoot with your falcon beyond possibly turn 1. Keep that in mind when tooling up another 200+ points sink.

Dire avengers: again I'll gladly agree with the others. This is one of my all-time favorite setups and has seen the destruction of several armies I've had the joy of playing against. I also like the idea of throwing them into a serpent to allow for quick movement across the table -- and possible protection during the reload period.

I've tried using rangers before in my lists, but they never tend to work out for me. I don't need the resilience because I run wraithguard en masse (10 with a spiritseer and a fortune farseer to back them up--means it takes a lot to make them go away). I have a hard time agreeing with any use of them though, but don't take me as anything of an authority on the subject. Test it out and see if it works for your list, then run with it from there.

Banshees: You just got advice from someone to stick them in cover and run them instead.... while you also have been told that running a 10 man team of rangers will be difficult to fit into cover--interesting.

I'd say if you have to, keep them in the wave serpent, but again consider trimming points down on that too. Starcannons are a bit much. I'd second the suggestion of throwing some scatter lasers or maybe even shuriken cannons on it. I haven't used banshees at all myself, and I really don't have any intention to right now, but I would highly suggest putting such a fragile unit into some sort of vehicle, otherwise they'll be easily ripped apart.

Harlequin Troupe: Trim the fat again here. Get rid of the death jester because it really is counter productive. Toss the fusion pistols, you want to be fleeting into close combat as quickly as you can in most cases, so the fusion pistols aren't worth taking in most cases. As for the Troupe Leader, in 2000 points I'm sure you can suffer the upgrade costs for him :P especially considering he's one of the coolest models I've seen.

I don't really have any experience with the warwalkers so I can't speak much on suggestions here, but I will say this: consider the high point costs that are going into these things when they're sporting 10 armor and they're open topped, no? That's not going to be fun losing those. I would however, agree with the previous poster regarding EMLs. That could prove a little safer, considering any high power weaponry should be used against your falcon/serpent FIRST if you're lucky.

Not a fan of the fire prism at all, again I admit that I don't use them so I have no authority here at all. I just don't like them, I'm not a fan of putting 200ish points into a huge target that gets one shot a turn.

Well, try trimming your army list down a lot and get some more bodies in there. Find focus for your farseer too, but base it on what the rest of your army is doing, dont base your army on what the farseer is doing. Once you do that, you'll probably find you have more room for more units. I'd suggest some warp spiders, they're craaazy fun.

Good luck, and welcome to the dying.