Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 Eldar Mobolized Army (with Dakka)
Old 05 Jul 2007, 08:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default 1500 Eldar Mobolized Army (with Dakka)

this is my FAST 1500 Shooty 1500pt army attempt.

HQ
Maugan Ra

Troops
Dire Avenger
-exarch
-Dual Shuricat
-Blade
IN SERPENT
-2 TL Shurcannon
-Vectored Engine
-Star engine
10 Rangers

Fast Attack
6 Warp Spiders
-exarch
-dual d-spinner
-surprise attack

2 Vypers
Shuricannon
Spirit Stones

1 Vypers
Shuricannon
Spirit Stones

Heavy Support
4 Dark Reapers
Exarch
Crackshot

Fire Prism
Spirit Stones
Holofield

Fire Prism
Spirit Stones
Holofield

Total Points: 1501

How i am going to use my army:
DA-Serpent with the three Vypers choose the weaker side edge of the table and assualts from one side.
Fire Prisms aim for anti-tank.
Dark Reapers with Rangers and Maugan Ra shall provide covering fire to the Vypers-Serpent.
Warp Spiders come in on lone snipers and anti-tank groups.

I made it so i can assualt static Tau and IG.
Old 05 Jul 2007, 09:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 1500 Eldar Mobolized Army (with Dakka)

I am not really a big fan of the fire prisms. A 160 pts for a one shot wonder never seemed worth it to me and 320 pts for a one shot wonder is just out in my opinion.

I think you can do without the star engines on your waveserpent unless you have to move 36" in a turn, in my mind there usefullness is limited and not worth the point cost and you would be better served taking spirt stones instead of them.

From my army list you can tell I am not a fan of exarchs, they cost a lot of pts with the dire avenger one coming in 44 pts which is a lot for a 4+ 1 wound model. A terminator with assault cannon costs less I think but I prefer to leave the exarchs at home

I like the vypers but would suggest dropping the spirit stones here and taking the undercarriage shuriken cannon. Thats 6 shots at 24" and being that the vyper is open topped the +1 to the dice roll your opponent gets means u are likely to be armament destroyed/immobilized/destroyed then stunned.

The Dark Reapers are nice but only if you are facing a lot of MEQ armies.

Just my .02
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jul 2007, 18:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The worth of some exarchs can't be measured by how much they cost. Sure, a DA exarch may cost 30 more points, but he adds 2 more shots - as much as second avenger, but with better BS - and provides bladestorm, which gives the squad another 10 shots. When the exarch's upgrades provide additional combat output or benefit the entire squad, it's a moot point to compare it to a model with a singular purpose. And unless the exarch gets Mind War-ed or sniped by a Vindicare, the exarch will probably be the last in the squad to die anyways.

My only real concern is spending 195 points on a character who only provides support fire and potential counter-assault, but I think the rest of the army is worth testing out.

Galvanize - C.M.A.P. represent!
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jul 2007, 19:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfderf
The worth of some exarchs can't be measured by how much they cost. Sure, a DA exarch may cost 30 more points, but he adds 2 more shots - as much as second avenger, but with better BS - and provides bladestorm, which gives the squad another 10 shots. When the exarch's upgrades provide additional combat output or benefit the entire squad, it's a moot point to compare it to a model with a singular purpose. And unless the exarch gets Mind War-ed or sniped by a Vindicare, the exarch will probably be the last in the squad to die anyways.

My only real concern is spending 195 points on a character who only provides support fire and potential counter-assault, but I think the rest of the army is worth testing out.
I am not denying that the exarch isn't good in fact it is because they are good that I don't take them. They immediately become a target to most opponents and its more then mind war or vindicared you have to worry about. Remember you must take casualties from those models within range and lOS. A clever opponent seeing this expensive and capable model will try to set up so that a) the exarch and as few models as possible are within range of his shooting, b) take a model LOS look as he moves his models so that they can only see the Exarch and as few as models possible before shooting.

This is a tactic I use often and with much success against IC's or squad leaders. In my mind spending 200+ points on 4 models is not worth it.
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jul 2007, 20:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Tanis
I am not denying that the exarch isn't good in fact it is because they are good that I don't take them. They immediately become a target to most opponents and its more then mind war or vindicared you have to worry about. Remember you must take casualties from those models within range and lOS. A clever opponent seeing this expensive and capable model will try to set up so that a) the exarch and as few models as possible are within range of his shooting, b) take a model LOS look as he moves his models so that they can only see the Exarch and as few as models possible before shooting.

This is a tactic I use often and with much success against IC's or squad leaders. In my mind spending 200+ points on 4 models is not worth it.
A valid point for sure, especially in the case of ICs, but unlike other armies' sergeants, exarchs can add much-needed utility: for 12 points, a fire dragon squad can hose down troops; for 17, a banshee squad can deal with tougher infantry and light vehicles. Some aspects such as reapers can probably do without them, but I find that exarchs are great in moderation, and I've yet to play against someone who would go out of their way to snipe one when they could just go for the entire squad and gain more VPs that way.

I definitely take a minimalist approach to HQ units, but in terms of exarchs...different strokes I suppose

Galvanize - C.M.A.P. represent!
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote