Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My First Eldar List
Old 26 May 2007, 17:34   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default My First Eldar List

Well I am new to Eldar and I am very anxious to start collecting my army....In the tourneys here we play 2100 points......The competition includes: Tyranids, Space marines (of course it never fails), Orks, and Tau.......So far this is the list I have come up with:
2096 point
Autarch
Swooping Hawk Wings
Fusion Gun
Power weapon

Autarch
Swooping Hawk Wings
Fusion Gun
Power weapon

10 Guardians
Shuriken Cannon

10 Guardians
Shuriken Cannon

10 Guardians
Shuriken Cannon

10 Guardians
Shuriken Cannon

10 Guardians
Shuriken Cannon

10 Guardians
Shuriken Cannon

6 Fire Dragons
Exarch
Fire Pike
Wave Serpent
Suriken Cannon
Twin Linked Bright Lance

6 Fire Dragons
Exarch
Fire Pike
Wave Serpent
Suriken Cannon
Twin Linked Bright Lance

6 Banshees
Exarch
Mirror Swords
Acrobatic
Wave Serpent
Suriken Cannon
Twin Linked Bright Lance

6 Swooping Hawks
Exarch
Hawks Talon

6 Swooping Hawks
Exarch
Hawks Talon

Wraithlord
Shuriken Cannon
Bright Lance

Wraithlord
Shuriken Cannon
Bright Lance
oldwolfplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 17:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: My First Eldar List

Holy duplication, Batman! Wow. I thought I was obsessive about duplication essential units.

Okay - from the top.

Autarchs - good. I would advise/assume that they will accompany your Swooping Hawk units. That's what I do. It works beautifically. You can definately stick them into combat with the Autarch against enemy heavy weapons teams. I find that tossing them against a Devestator Squad can be fun. However, primary purpose here is taking out vehicles.

Guardians - yikes! That's a lot of Shuriken Cannons. My only concern is method of delivery. They're going to slog their way across the table to get in range. The Shu-Can doesn't really have the range to enable them to stand back and blast anything. However, they would be good for holding objective & claiming quarters.

Dragons - Again, nice choice. A couple notes here. You're spending a lot of points for TL Bright Lances to transport a unit who is going to fry any armour anyway. Also, I think the Exarch is a waste of your points. You're not getting a whole lot for your money here.

Banshees - Nice unit. Again, the Bright Lances are awfully expensive, but they could be helpful with this unit. I like Mirrorswords. However, I think I'd drop Acrobatic. With only 6 members, how often are you going to be able to really take advantage of it?

Hawks - Nice unit (my favourite). I prefer Sunrifle because of the psychological damage you can do to an opponent by grabbing that many dice for one model. Also, Intercept is a gorgeous ability. I'd consider taking it. Until it get's FAQ'ed you can Intercept Walkers which can be wonderful.

Wraithlords - Very nice again. These make a good anchor, and I assume they'll be supporting the Guardian mobs squads.

Overall, it's a very nice list. You have some solid choices and a lot of bodies. Personally, I'd try to make it a little faster for the Troops. However, you've got a lot of speed other places. Likewise, I'd drop the Fire Dragon Exarchs and maybe downgrade the TL Bright Lances to Starcannons or Scatter Lasers, and Acrobatic. Use the points to grab Mandiblasters for your Autarchs and Intercept for your Hawks. If you have the points, Warlocks with Conceal would be appropriate too.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 19:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Concerns:
Guardians- They have good chance to be mowed down by enemy fire before they can do anything. Also morale watch their morale as a few rounds of fire can decimate whole squads. (try to get these guys in cover)
Dragon-Wagon: Solid ... yet costy.
Banshees: I would add more banshees to the squad if your facing SM or horde armies.
Hawks: Get intercept, they are meant to be fast units.
Wraithlords: Should try to get some kind of psyker for these guys. Are these guys going to be static or will you try to put them in cc?
Old 26 May 2007, 22:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

The above assessments are completely true unless you are doing battle on a gamma or omega cityfight table or any other heavily packed board. In these instances the Guardians become a fact of life and everyone Eldar gets a huge advantage (thank you fleet of foot), This also means that for those scenarios where you defend building the Guardians are a must. Assuming these are the conditions then I would love to see some Reapers or Walkers in there. ;D

Have an explosive day,
[red]Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing
Old 27 May 2007, 09:37   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to echo34

You are spending an incredible amount of points for all of the brightlances on the Wave Serpents, which has already been touched on.

More importantly, the setup of the Wraithlords: most people have usually indicated that you should give it a more specific role. While I am a huge fan of Shuriken Cannons, I would find that in conjunction with yet ANOTHER Brightlance, you won't be able to really fire it (the SC) unless you're getting in a little closer to the action. Now, some folks have gone the direction of EML and Brightlance and although very expensive, would be more of a dedicated role in tank hunting, with some abilities to deal with infantry through the missile options on the EML. Also already touched on, was the fact that you have NO psyker in your army and the Wraithlord Wraithsight rules will mean that there's a 1 in 6 chance you won't be able to do anything--sitting duck syndrome--and that's just not something you would really want to deal with especially considering in your current setup, you're dropping a good amount of points into the wraithlord as is.

I'd recommend bringing down some of the guardian units, removing some entirely to do a few things:

1. Fill up your aspect squads a bit more to make better use of the Wave Serpents which also will
2. need (relative term) Spirit Stones and/or Vectored Engines to do their transport job a little better.
3. Free up the points to give a few squads of guardians some warlocks maybe with embolden or conceal to provide some much needed survivability within those squads AND wraithsight coverage for your two Wraithlords.
4. Consider getting some more banshees or picking up Scorpions or Harlequins to help out with an assaulty element.

Also, consider the benefits you can gain from having a Farseer in the list instead of one of the Autarchs. I can understand the themed intent of the two Swooping Autarchs (and I know I've learned a lot from Em about it too ), but the benefits of a Farseer in a larger point game cannot be completely ignored.

Best of luck to you in whichever direction you go from the advice you gain on the forums!

ps. consider some wraithguard to protect those precious eldar souls! ;D
Old 28 May 2007, 02:49   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

OK lets see here......i want to thank you for your post and suggestions.....

(1)i have exchanged the bright lances on the wave serpents to scatter lasers,
(2) i have changed the shuriken cannons in the guardian squads to scatter lasers also
(3) i got rid of two squads of the guardians to beef up the other 4 giving me 15 in each squad
(4) put ten banshees in squad instead of six
(5) got rid of the exarch in the fire dragons
(6) added another wraith lord and also changed their shuriken cannons to scatter lasers
(7) gave the swooping hawk exarchs intercept

now i have 344 points left

as for the farseer and warlocks, while i did like the seer council in the 3rd edition i just don't see tooling up a big squad with physic powers and having to give them a transport also.....while i do see their effectiveness i favor more troops over tooled up squads (sorry from playing space wolves in 3rd edition with maxed out troops and also playing tyranids with a ton of troops)....as for the wraithlord's wraith sight...i will be setting them up by the guardians to support them....my laptop is dying now (crappy hp) so this is all i have time to explain right now....again thank you for your thoughts.
Old 28 May 2007, 03:26   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to echo34

Well Gunbeast, once you get some battery life... repost the rest, because the concern over wraithsight is still a HUGE concern. You should add warlocks to the guardian squads both to help their survivability and the wraithlord's wraithsight. You don't need to do seer councils, but you SHOULD add them to the guardian squads. Check your codex if you don't understand what I mean, its under the guardians rules.

Cheers!
Old 28 May 2007, 04:37   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

the warlock with conceal will give them a cover save and a warlock with the embolden will let them reroll the to hit(not sure if that is right maybe to wound) their shooting......i have been thinking of adding them to the guardians (i also have to add mandiblasters to my autarch and add more dragons)...As far as the farseer: i think against the armies here he would only be good with a council.....Or would it be a good idea to stick one with the banshees....equip him with mind war....not sure what else to equip him with.....
Old 28 May 2007, 04:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

You may want to re-check the Embolden rules.

However, Echo's got a fair concern with the Wraithlords. I think some Warlocks are definately in order. As for the Farseer. He's not a bad choice. I use mine with my Banshees and he has Eldritch Storm. This way he can "soften up" enemy hordes or "toss" enemy vehicles before charging them with his Witchblade. Coupled with an Exarch with an Executioner, they can put a hurting on MEQ's too.

Just a thought.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2007, 04:57   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

oops sorry embolden lets them pass the leadership test