Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Goodby Iyanden, Hello DIY Craftworld. [1000pt army list]
Old 21 May 2007, 21:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Goodby Iyanden, Hello DIY Craftworld. [1000pt army list]

Hey all,

Yes I've given the boot to my Iyanden list and have decided to create a new list based on my own craftworld. ($200+ for a troops choice, no thank you !)

HQ:

Farseer
Doom, Singing Spear
= 83pts

Elite:

Harlequin Troupe
7 Units w/ Harlequin's Kiss & SP
Shadowseer w/ Harlequin's Kiss & SP
= 206pts

Troops:

Dire Avenger Squad
9 Units w/ Avenger SC
Exarch w/ 2 Avenger SC & Bladestorm Exarch Power
Mounted in Wave Serpent w/ Twin-Linked SCannon, SCannon, Spirit Stones
= 272pts

Guardian Squad
Scatter Laser
= 95pts

Guardian Squad
Scatter Laser
= 95pts

Guardian Squad
Scatter Laser
= 95pts

Heavy Support:

Wraithlord
Bright Lance, Scatter Laser, 2 Flamers
= 150pts

Total = 996pts

There it is. Any comments, suggestions and criticism will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Snowbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal Black Mage
The sacrament of Dakka can be expressed only by those who have experienced it. It is a holy sacrament (of fire) that states "We are firing our guns at you. Die."
The Canadian Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 21:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Goodby Iyanden, Hello DIY Craftworld. [1000pt army list]

Firstly, there are rumours that GW may make plastic Wrathguard with the Apocolypse expansion. Just a thought.

Otherwise, your list looks fairly solid. I'm not hot about your 30 Guardians with no conceal or transport. I have a notion that they will end up getting shot up. However, with three units of them, you may split up enemy fire enough to make it worth while.

Really, an Avatar would be better suited for this list than your Farseer. The Avatar would give you a boost to your Guardians. Ideally, however, Warlock/Conceal would be a good combo.

Everything else, looks good, IMO. Go for it and tweak as you go.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 21:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hi Canadian Snowbird,

I can understand not being attracted to an Iyanden army- it's a fairly specialized form of play and not to kind to the wallet.

I'm really liking this list at 1K. It's got a solid firebase, strength 6+ in all units, ranged anti-tank in the wraithlord, and a solid countercharge in the Harlies. I'd have fun playing this list myself. The three guardian units are squishy yet can fit into most terrain settings and divide threat perception, as F_E points out.

The Farseer gives this list options. As a Doomseer you can park him with any of the ground units and just march around, boosting shooting or close combat with the lovely Doom power, or throw him in the Wave Serpent upfront. The latter option diminishes your ability to keep targets doomed, but I've seen a couple of players run it pretty well that way.

I really wouldn't change anything here- I'm really liking this list.

Old 21 May 2007, 21:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks for your input Farseer and Yriel.

So thats one suggesting change, and the other not.

I was thinking to put Warlocks with Conceal on the Guardians but it seemed expensive after doing it to all three squads.* I'll probably drop the Farseer, Wraithlord, and a squad of Guardians for Warlocks with Conceal.* Doing that will leave me with 97 points to spare.* I would probably use the points to invest in some anti-tank weapons or something along those lines.* I'm not sure how long an Avatar would last before it makes it to an enemy tank.

What are your suggestions? Does it still look feasible?

Snowbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal Black Mage
The sacrament of Dakka can be expressed only by those who have experienced it. It is a holy sacrament (of fire) that states "We are firing our guns at you. Die."
The Canadian Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 21:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Canadian Snowbird
I was thinking to put Warlocks with Conceal on the Guardians but it seemed expensive after doing it to all three squads. I'll probably drop the Farseer, Wraithlord, and a squad of Guardians for Warlocks with Conceal. Doing that will leave me with 97 points to spare. I would probably use the points to invest in some anti-tank weapons or something along those lines. I'm not sure how long an Avatar would last before it makes it to an enemy tank.

What are your suggestions? Does it still look feasible?
I'd say no. I wouldn't drop the Farseer or Wraithlord to grab 3 Warlocks with Conceal. If anything, I'd drop the Wave Serpent for it. Why? Well because your Avengers are going to be all by their lonesome out there with their tank transport and, if we're talking target priority, your 272 points tank/avenger unit is #1 on my list because of the VP's they'll yield.

But you don't need Warlocks with Conceal. Your Guardians would just last longer if you had them. As it stands now, you're looking at being able to survive a turn or two of fire before your units will break (3 then 5 casualties). The 5+ save disappears really quickly against most small arms fire. However, with proper use of terrain and fleet - you can make it work.

Another thing to consider would be possibly dropping some upgrades and taking your squads to two units of 15 each (or more if you have the figures). That'd give you even more wounds before adverse morale checks - however, it would also eliminate one of your heavy weapons platforms.

I'd play your unit as it stands now (possibly proxied if needed) and see how you like it. It's a good list and I didn't mean to make it sound as if I thought otherwise.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2007, 22:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hiya,

An Avatar at 1K is really designed for a "Seige/phalanx" type setup- marhing upfront with the wraithlord, protected by the WL's better reliability. It would either work well in the case of an opponent that can't outmanuever it and shoot it down, or it wouldn't work very well at all if the opponent is zippy enough to slide past and shoot your harlies down before any real action commences. This bascially would hamstring your assault and leave you horribly outmaneuvered. Imagine a player fielding Landspeeders, piranhas, or Vypers against you, zooming past slower, more reliable units to hit your backfield where it counts.

This is why I'd prefer not to have the Avatar and stick with cheap multiples of guardian units. If you're facing a fast or mechanized opponent you'll have decent options all over the board, and since your harlies are on foot it will be critical for you to win the speed game early on.