Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

advice needed for getting a game started and to keep it running.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 05:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Mitch: the noob
Default advice needed for getting a game started and to keep it running.

i've tried to get my friends into D&D, but everytime it comes to playing, no one truly knows the rules or mechanics very well, and i dunno, call us stupid, but the book confuses us for the most part. we were able to get a few games of call of Cthluhu in without it completely falling apart, but even that was a bit iffy.
and now my eyes are on Dark heresey.

we've all played 40k (had an old player who taught us the ropes, so i know we're atleast doing that right), and we absolutley love the fluff, but before i pitch in a load of cash to buy the rule set and what not, does anyone now if there's any decent abridge/simplified rules? not a rule book persay, but maybe just something that would give us a good demonstration of character creation and game mechanics?
sorry if this seems kinda lame/childish, but when it comes to rules interpretation it seems like we always end up getting into arguments and just stopping halfway through the exposition due to the mechanics falling apart, and i would really really like this to work.
thanks ahead of time.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 17:46   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: advice needed for getting a game started and to keep it running.

There is an introductory adventure with a simplified set of rules available for download at FFG's website.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 18:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch: the noob
i've tried to get my friends into D&D, but everytime it comes to playing, no one truly knows the rules or mechanics very well, and i dunno, call us stupid, but the book confuses us for the most part. we were able to get a few games of call of Cthluhu in without it completely falling apart, but even that was a bit iffy.
and now my eyes are on Dark heresey.

we've all played 40k (had an old player who taught us the ropes, so i know we're atleast doing that right), and we absolutley love the fluff, but before i pitch in a load of cash to buy the rule set and what not, does anyone now if there's any decent abridge/simplified rules? not a rule book persay, but maybe just something that would give us a good demonstration of character creation and game mechanics?
sorry if this seems kinda lame/childish, but when it comes to rules interpretation it seems like we always end up getting into arguments and just stopping halfway through the exposition due to the mechanics falling apart, and i would really really like this to work.
thanks ahead of time.
Don't forget the errata on FFG's website. It clears up a lot of rules (mostly psyker related ones) that were not explained well.

Adventure-wise, I suggest just making a very simple run through some of the pre-made adventures (even if it's just a portion of them).

Any other problems why not post the examples here, I know that I can personally offer quite a bit of advice and workable solutions for pretty much anything in the books. *Disclaimer* I do not have Creatures Anathema, so I only work with the main rulebook, PtU, IH, and Disciples.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2009, 04:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Mitch: the noob

well, got through our first game without any major breakdowns.
ran that demo scenario, and now we're on to a 8 game long storyline written and GM'd by me.
its going to be fun, but im a little intimidated.

but one more, completely unrelated question.
i saw no mention of force weapons in the main rule book, am i missing something? or are there no rules for them?
and if there aren't any rules, do you have any suggestion on making it work without being entirely overpowered?
Old 06 Jul 2009, 05:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Perhaps make it work like they do in Inquisitor. Similar to a normal weapon of their type (maybe of better quality or something), but if the user of the weapon inflicts damage on his opponent, he can add a bit more on a successful WP test. Perhaps the extra damage could somehow be tied to the user's psy rating so the power of the weapon scales up with the power of the psyker using it.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2009, 05:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Force weapons weapon profiles exist in the Inquisitor's Handbook expansion book. They have profiles for a force sword, hammer, and a staff(?).

They're essentially decent power weapons that get better the stronger the psyker is and they can indeed auto kill an opponent or severely wound them.

If you're looking for a meaty weapon in the core rule book, Mono upgrade a Great Weapon. It has excellent stats at the expense of no parrying (dodge more times than parry anyways personally). Fluffwise, remember that great weapons are freaking huge. In our game they essentially can't be hidden.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2009, 18:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Force weapons weapon profiles exist in the Inquisitor's Handbook expansion book. They have profiles for a force sword, hammer, and a staff(?).

They're essentially decent power weapons that get better the stronger the psyker is and they can indeed auto kill an opponent or severely wound them.
Well, there ya go, I've only gotten a read through the core rulebook myself.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote