Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Blog: Daemonhost for Dark Heresy
Old 10 Apr 2009, 11:07   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Blog: Daemonhost for Dark Heresy

Well, I have been the GM for my gaming group for some while, and after all this while I have decided that my group needs something in the current campaign that will cause them to balk back and contemplate about how they will need to beat the bad guy, instead of their tried and true method of coming in guns blazing.

In comes the idea of the Daemonhost that belongs to the Rogue Inquisitor Samuelus Lemart Jacksus (Yes, I have made a parody of Samuel L.Jackson). This Daemonhost is not nigh invincible, but is already more powerful than any of my players for the time being (Think of it as when Squall first met Sepiroth in FF7, where he could no possibly beat Sepiroth, but as the player grows stronger they may be able to defeat it), but I am assuming that my players would have suffered quite a whacking when they first see it, and will be quite essential to the players' development on whether they can remain puritan or they will go down the more radical route when they face this rogue Inqusitor.

I decided to make this Daemonhost on the fly, and after a single random rolling session, I have this as the Daemonhost's stats;

Binding: Twice-Bound
WS: 38
BS: 36
S: 60
T: 49
Ag: 19
Int: 82
Per: 58
WP: 76
Fel: 13
Wounds: 30
Psy Rating: 5

Skills: Awareness+10, Deceive+20, Forbidden Lore (Daemonology, Heresy, Warp, Ordos Hereticus)+20, Secret Tongue (Daemon)+20, Speak Language (All) +20

Talents: None

Traits: Daemonic, Dark Sight, Fear 4, Flyer (1), From Beyond, Natural Weapon (Fangs), Unnatural Strength (x2)

Unholy Changes (I rolled a 5 :P):
Glowing Eyes: Eyes glowing
Scales: Natural Armour 3 trait
Snake Nest: Have snakes all over his body. Whenever it deals damage, target must roll a Hard toughness test or be affected as if by a hallucinogen grenade for a few rounds
Snake Tongue: Just having a snake tongue (Kinda fitting with the entire theme of the serpentine thing by accident).
Claws or Blades: Natural Weapons (claws) trait with war weapon quality

So in essence, I have rolled for a Daemonhost with a reptilian theme.....have to choose the Natural Weapon (Fang) stat to make this accidental theme a lot more integrated. -_-

Daemonic Phenomena:
In the Daemonhost's presence....;
1)...The air is hot, as if standing in front of a furnace
2)...A single High-Pitched note can be heard

Psychic Rating (5): All Minor Psychic powers, Cellular Control, Psychic Blade, Psychic Shriek, Terrify, See Me Not

And thus with this, I am now stuck with the fluf for him, and also his name. Will continue on writing once I get his name and also how it came to be. In addition I will be making the model of the Daemonhost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 11:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Blog: Daemonhost for Dark Heresy

I'd associate him with Slaneesh, since serpentine mutations are typically part of his repertoire of freakishness.
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 11:31   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxRifts
I'd associate him with Slaneesh, since serpentine mutations are typically part of his repertoire of freakishness.
Fair enough, but a Daemon Prince like that of Cherubael of Eisenhorn fame would not be bad as well.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 10 Apr 2009, 11:33   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Do me a favor; when you kill CY's character, I want it to be death by ass-raping.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 12:09   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

You really do hate whatever character that CY make huh? :P

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 10 Apr 2009, 12:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Do me a favor; when you kill CY's character, I want it to be death by D'yi-raping.
Would he get a saving throw?
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 15:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Name: Heraklion Knossos, as a reference to the snake cult of Knossos Palace on Crete, and the modern day city it sits near.

Backstory: Modified snake handling church from the U.S. region of Appalachia.

Heraklion was a smart and gentle boy who had a respect for all life, in whatever form it took, which contrasted greatly with his upbringing.

His family ran an Imperial church with an unusual practice of using snakes as representations of daemons in church functions, where members show their faith in the Emperor by handling lethal snakes with only the Emperor for protection. At the end of ceremonies several snakes are sacrificed to show the Emperor's triumph over the warp-spawn.

This practice started because of an obscure text in which tells of a man's fall from the Emperor's grace when he took advice from a serpent who told him to steal a fruit from the Emperor's garden.

As the son of the preacher, Heraklion often helped with the ceremonies. He enjoyed petting and playing with the snakes during the ceremonies, but hated watching his new friends die every week. As he got older he decided that the practice couldn't go on, and so he freed the snakes in the middle of the night. In the darkness however he made the mistake of stepping on one of the more poisonous of the snakes and was bit.

His father heard his son's shout of pain came to the snake pens to find his only son on death's door. Thinking back to the text from which the church began, the preacher remembered a complex ritual that would save his son. So out of love for his gentle son, Preacher Knossos began the ritual...and became Heraklion's first victim.

That was two days ago, and as of yet no one has noticed the preacher or his wife's disappearances. Heraklionís only desire is to kill the other snake murders of the church. Simple violence is not enough though, much like the serpent of legend, he wants to trick his marks into killing themselves, preferably with their own vices, and the same goes for anyone who gets in his way.

How to use him:
The adventure begins with the third victim accepting a fruit basket given to them as a bribe. When they bit into the first fruit, an apple, a small bomb hidden inside goes off, causing their head to paint the walls of their office. If the heroes are in the room at the time, describe as appropriate, if not, describe the smell of apples and copper as they approach the office.

Either way, the characters should spot Heraklion's glowing eyes watching the body from outside the window. When the players give chase, have Heraklion lead them into the sewers before disappearing.

The players now have two choices, follow the monster through the sewers, where Heraklion will set traps to punish the characters for their aggression, examples include:

"As you turn the corner two points of baleful red light stare at you from the darkness, roll for initiative Roll a die, declare that the character won the roll and gets to go first. Have them roll awareness, with some penalty to spot the trap. If they fail, they will probably fire at the lights: "It is only with the light of the muzzle flash that you realize your mistake, those werenít eyes but to red lights placed on a pipe to give the appearance of eyes. Your shot punctures the pipe and scalding hot steam sprays you in the face." Roll for damage as appropriate.

"You chase the monster across the metal grided floor and turn the corner to see the reptilian beast hovering above just off the ground. On his turn he pulls one of the thicker wires from the ceiling and tosses it to the ground, causing everyone on the metal grid to take damage as electricity arcs across the floor. Toughness checks to avoid temporary paralysis." The wiring will short out in a round, but the monster can get some distance in the interim.

Ultimately the heroes will have to break off to get more supplies and health care. When they investigate the body that started this chase, let them figure out that the snake daemon probably has something to do with the snake church, and when they go to talk to the preacher about it, they find the daemon sleeping soundly in the gore of his former parents.

This will give the players at least one round to unload on the daemon. If the daemon survives the first round, he spreads out his attacks to induce hallucinations in as many people as possible. He doesn't want to kill them; he wants them to kill themselves and each other in a hallucinogenic fit. When everyone is hallucinating, he tries to explain what happened and why they and the Emperor are terrible before fleeing into the night.
1. Do you intend to win even if it might take the fun of the game away from either yourself or your opponent?

If you answered yes to question 1, you are in fact a power gamer, and your list is probably either beardy or you can abuse the rules to make it such.
Tech-Commander Archive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2009, 23:59   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive
>>snip<<
The idea is nice, but it is not fitting with the theme of my campaign and the way I want to use him.

Plot-wise, I want to introduce him in a nightclub where the players and the NPC that they are suppose to protect are currently taking refuge at the behest of the club owner a.k.a Inquisitonal agent of their master, who will help smuggle them out of the world to meet with another Inquisitor (which will be the rogue inquisitor). I will be sending him and him alone to take on the players, and in the process kill off several NPCs to show how powerful this Daemonhost is. However the Daemonhost is playing a similar role as that of Cherubael in a sense that it is a tool of his master, as is quite compliant with following the orders of his master for now.

After the bombastic introduction will I use a more subtle way of showing that the daemonhost is trailing them with the rest of the rogue Inquisitor's resources, while the heroes try to find out the heretical relic whose ate intertwines with the NPC that they are protecting and also the bad guys.

Gaming-wise, I want to use him in a more fear-inducing role rather than manipulation role, hence why I chose powers that complement his fear factor. He can disappear from the player's sight, and when he is close enough he will either Terrify them or Psychic Shriek at them till they fall. The Hallucinogen effect is only applicable when he injured them in close combat and they survived (though with a Strength Bonus of 12 and 1D10 damage negating armour unless they are of Holy trait or made out of some psycho-material ,with his normal attacks not to mention when he loses an arm, he will use the Psychic Blade attack) he will force the victim to be induced with fear even more, which will allow it to press on in its advantage in close combat.

So in essence, he is indeed one of the nastiest and also most sadistic characters that the players have to face, as all his powers are relatively easy to cast with his psy-rating of 5, and the players will have to find holy items or chaos items (depending on how the progress on the storyline) to defeat the monster and his master. I think I will put the fact that he enjoys torturing his victims mentally before he goes in for the kill, or forever put them in eternal torment to fit with all this fear-inducing traits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxRifts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Do me a favor; when you kill CY's character, I want it to be death by D'yi-raping.
Would he get a saving throw?
He can reroll as much as his Fate allows to burn. :P

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 11 Apr 2009, 02:59   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
You really do hate whatever character that CY make huh? :P
In the words of CY; Too awesome! --> Translated --> Must die!
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2009, 03:49   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, after some hard time wondeirng about a name, I finally found a name that I know but have not used it for along time now; Apophis. It is appropriate as Apophis is a snake demon who tries to eat Ra, and when he does so the solar eclipse will happen and scare the shit outta the Ancient Egyptians. Apophis also suits the way my story unfolds, as the idea of Ra having bodyguards to protect him from Apophis also can be used to describe how the players can be seen as the protectors of the NPC.

As for the story of the Daemonhost, I have decided on this;

The Daemonhost Apophis is a vile being, for whenever it appears the air is hot as if in a furnace, and a single high-pitched note can be heard. Just as its presence is an insult to nature, it also have the appearance that defies the human body. The daemonhost takes on a rather reptilian appearance, for its eyes glow with a poisonous purple glow, its tongue is forked and flickers like that of a snake, and its scales are as smooth as silk but as hard as steel, and the presence of fangs and claws further enforces its reptile-like nature. Its body is home to several venomous snakes which slithers around its body, entering and exiting its body like a nest. However, Apophis is never always a Daemonhost.

Apophis, is whose true name is unknown to all but Jacksus is once a Daemon Prince upon the world of Rhazhagal, where he is once a leader and in essence a god of the Kharjal clan, before he face Inquisitor Samuelus Lemart Jacksus, who was on the world with the Inquisiton to root out the influence of Chaos in Rhazaghal. However, instead of destroying the Daemon Prince, Inquisitor Jacksus decided to seal the Daemon Prince into a body, thereby creating a Daemonhost. Suffice to say, Inquisitor Jacksus declared Exterminatus on the world to eliminate every trace of Chaos from the planet, but mainly to cover his track of creating a Daemonhost.

In the service of its master, it is a creature of horrifying power for it has a great ability to dominate the human psyche using fear as a weapon. And as a Daemonhost, it has unparalleled martial prowess and with its warp-powered claws it is able to disembowel tanks with its bare hands. But the Daemonhost has a very vile habit of playing around with its prey, torturing them both physically and mentally until they break both in mind and body. Surprisingly for a warp entity of such power, it is willing to follow the orders of its master, and perhaps because of its perceived obedience, the rogue Inquisitor is willing to give it quite some freedom to go about doing its master's bidding, even to the extend that it can go about unsupervised and commanding some elements of the Inquisitor's own force.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT