Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dawn Of War: Soulstorm and the New DE Codex
Old 18 Oct 2008, 01:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Dawn Of War: Soulstorm and the New DE Codex

Okay, I know Soulstorm's been out a long time now but I only got it today. Naturally me being me I fired up the campaign with the Dark Eldar.

Some things have stood out to me for the new codex, if their Soulstorm update (which is the most recent thing that has been done to them and indeed the first thing to have been done to them in nine sodding years) is anything to go by.

Warriors will become T4 with a 4+ save. Splinter rifles will become Strength 3 AP 3.

The Incubi and Archon will become Invulnerable. They will not die. Ever.

Ravagers will be unable to move and fire their weaponry, but that won't matter as they'll become Front Armour 14.

Mandrakes will be able to reveal into combat. Perhaps this will manifest as in the Lictor special rule but... that would be somewhat balanced.

I don't expect these things... although in all honesty if Warriors got a 4+ save and a S3 AP3 gun I'd be perfectly happy to pay say 14 points for them.

I just feel that Soulstorm does not reflect the current playstyle of the DE at all. I don't mind the Soulstorm playstyle, it's still different to anything that exists currently, but still. To be honest, an S3 AP3 basic gun and retaining their T3 5+Sv would be rather cool - hey, CSMs can get basic troops with AP3. I'm not sure of the justification on the mad armour piercing ability of the Splinter Rifle in Soulstorm though, all I know is that one squad of Warriors (which has SIX MEN in it) absolutely annihilated a full squad of Chaos Space Marines - down to two by the time they reached me, easily cut down in CC.

I think at their current toughness and save but upping (or downing... depending on how you describe AP, I guess it's a personal thing) the AP of the guns would keep the "powerful but damn fragile" feel.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2008, 02:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Dawn Of War: Soulstorm and the New DE Codex

I thought soul storm was incredible, glad to see you are enjoying it as well... as for the changes with DE, I see what you mean about the play style in Soulstorm. But you have to admit running around and tormenting the slaves is fun.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 02:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh don't worry, I'm heartily enjoying it ;D
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 02:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The angry nuns ammused me greatly, there zealous nature had my wife a little creeped out.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 18:32   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I couldn't stand Soulstorm... I got so sick of the computer endlessly spam-rushing without pause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2008, 19:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
I couldn't stand Soulstorm... I got so sick of the computer endlessly spam-rushing without pause.
That's just Dawn of War for you. You get used to it, sadly.

You may call me Circus.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 19:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

And you spam turrets early and hug cover if you have any by your starting area or controll points!
Old 18 Oct 2008, 19:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
same here danm endless tide of chaos marines >
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Quote:
It's like being totally wasted on drugs, only with no side effects.
eg being arrested for licking a police officer's face trying to find out if they really do taste like snozberrys
It's true!
By reading this fine print your soul is now exclusive property of Chaos Master and subsidaries, All Rights reserved >.
http://www.pkbc.net/
chaos_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2008, 23:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masnagj
And you spam turrets early and hug cover if you have any by your starting area or controll points!
No you don't, you spam troops =P

You may call me Circus.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 12:55   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I considered making this a new topic, but I believe Circus' topic a better place for it.

Firstly, my thoughts on DE - these were my first ever army in 40k, the ones I cut my teeth on so to speak. I loved the background for them, completely sadistic eldar, who are not only the only true evil in the galaxy, but are also the only race who could be described as truly free (well, maybe orks).

Playwise as well, I think they are fantastic, striking hard and fast from the shadows, overwhelming the enemy before they know whats happening - the story in the codex about the attack on the guard base, for me, epitomizes them perfectly.

However, I don't feel they play right on the table, as apposed to the background - Soulstorm showed them completely different, being tough, powerful guns etc.

So what do you think is needed (aside from a nicer model range) to make them mesh with their fluff?

I don't believe they should be tough - Eldar, and DE, are not meant to take hits, they are meant to avoid them. I would like to see something like nightfight for them - limiting, but not stopping the amount of fire that gets through. It would make them play more like their gothic fleets - hard as hell to hit, but when you hit, it bloody hurts them.

I just don't know how best this could be implemented in game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote