Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Update: Making the Kabal
Old 17 Sep 2007, 14:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Update: Making the Kabal

Hey Dark Eldar faithful,

Just an update on the progress of my Dark Eldar army. I placed an order about a week ago consisting of:

- Dark Eldar Codex
- 1 Dark Eldar Battleforce
- 1 Raider

It should be here today, I hope.

In addition though, I had a stroke of good luck at a hobby store this weekend. In addition to a a bunch of (30+) Chaos Space Marines (for a quarter each! woot!!!) they had a Dark Eldar Battleforce in stock- so I just couldn't pass it up!

I brought the battleforce home and am currently in the final stages of painting it (though it didn't come with instructions for the raider- most of which I figured out...except see below...). Pictures to come, but I painted it for speed and so it's nothing intricate.

What this means is once my other order comes in I'll have the following:

- 40 Dark Eldar warriors
- 10 Jetbikes
- 3 Raiders

And I also own a Drazhar and Lelith Hespirax model that I can use as an HQ (or I can convert one).

Once this is all painted I can start playing games, but I was thinking this army needs a Wych squad too.

Finally- I painted up and built most of the battleforce I bought at the store, and the Raider is done...mostly. A couple of questions though:

1) This thing comes with a "whale tail", which from the photos, looks like it fits on the top sail of the main body. However- the pieces don't seem to be jigged so that they fit in any descriminate manner. Do I just glue the wing to the seperate top-piece by sliding it into the open end of the slot? Why isn't the vertical fin-piece slotted out for the wings?

2) There are miscellaneous blade fins for the raider too, and I see from the pics some are glued to the bottom, or on the jet turbines at back. None of this appears to be slotted or tooled though (like the Dark Lance stand...). Do you just glue this stuff indescriminantly on the model?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

- Yriel
Old 17 Sep 2007, 15:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Update: Making the Kabal

1. I thought both were slotted...I know the "whale tail" is slotted for sure as this piece is the first to break after a couple attempts to transport it to games. Not sure if the verticle fin is as well perhaps their is some excess plastic in the way?

If I had to re-make my raiders over I would try to build them so they are removable. If there is any way to make the whale tail removable you will find it easier to transport. I have seen other dark eldar players break the whale tail in half and mount them on the engine at the base of the verticle fin - sticking out at 45 degree angles. This makes the over-all profile of the vehicle a little tighter and I think you will find it easier to hide on the battle field as well.

Of course this leaves a large verticle fin (where the pilot sits) sitting in the back. I have seen some mount the dark lance at the top (with it pointing down at an angle). This makes it look a little more like a scorpian tail like the Talos. This also by-passes the gunner all together unless you want to mount something that looks like a horrorfex on top and leave the gunner to stand at the front platform. Its your call so go either way - I would probably try to make the fins magnetized for easy removal and storage.

2. Yes, you get to put the blades anywhere you like. I put mine on both sides of the mounting hole - so it rocks like a rocking-horse when its not on a stand. I have also put blades on the back part of the engine as well as on the front rim of the nose (top part) but only so that I have a unique raider and they dont all look alike.

Get creative - you dont have to make a raider a certain way.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 17:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk

Cool, well as kwi said i think the 'whale fin' is meant to slot in somewhere at the top, and the little spikes and stuff uou can get creative with. Its dark eldar, you dont have to follow the norm

Cant wait to see the pictures, and yes you definately need a wyche squad (and a ravager)

Siruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2007, 18:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks for the info guys!

Man- transporting these Raiders may be a pain! If I'm looking to run 4-5 in my completed list- I'm gonna have to be conservative with the vehicle's profile. I'll have to play around with the one I have and figure it out.

Siruk- I may end up waiting for the Apocalypse set to add any more raiders/ravagers from here. I have three raiders now- do you think I'll be comfortable running 750-1,000pts, or should I get more?

Wyches will be ordered once I paint both battleforces. I need to pace myself .

BTW- my fiance' loves the raider model! I may even convince her to paint one for me.

- Yriel
Old 17 Sep 2007, 19:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

3 raiders is probably what is expected for 1000 points (I only use 2, but thats me) 2 raider squads and a wyche squad in a raider should do you, with a footslogging warrior squads and a sniper squad. Add a tank hunting bike squad, and a lord and your set.

Old 17 Sep 2007, 20:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I own 5 raiders and 3 ravagers for a total of 8 skimmers. Transporting them is a pain as I place them staggered in a shoe-box size piece of tupperware. They constantly break and get tangled with each other. I havent found a better way so if you develop a cool way of transporting them please share it with me (us).

Funny, I just played a 1500 point game with only 2 raiders - I had to double check my list because this was the first time I had so few. It was a Coven list with 6 Haemys, 3 squads of grotesques (2 of them on the only 2 raiders), 2 15-man warrior squads and 2 Taloi. You might think this slow but it was a loot counter mission and my enemy were orks so there really was no need for speed (the foot slogging grotesques reached a loot counter by moving 6"). So I have to say you can play with less raiders and still have fun as I am discovering 15 man warrior squads are durable as well as dangerous.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 21:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Cant wait until the new orks come out, it means we will finally have an army that is fun to play against and that isnt shooting based, so a coven list would work.

In my 1500 points i only use 5 skimmers, 3 raiders, 2 ravagers, so dont think you need to overload on them.

Old 17 Sep 2007, 23:30   #8 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yriel of Iyanden
BTW- my fiance' loves the raider model! I may even convince her to paint one for me.

- Yriel
Just make sure she isn't drunk :P
(yes, I went there)
Old 19 Sep 2007, 15:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Heh...I'll be sure and lock up the mini's when we break out the drinks LT.

The battleforces are nearly complete. I painted more for efficiency than hobby though- but they're coming along- a very, very simple paint scheme.

It's time to start thinking about my list.

I'll need to paint my converted Drazhar for my Archon/Dracon. Probably going to go Punisher, Combat Drugs, Tormentor Helm, Shadow Field, Animus Vitae, Plasma Grenades. Just your basic troop chewer.

I'll also be using Daemonettes for Wyches (since I'm not a big fan of the wych models at all....and I now have 10 daemonettes who are doing nothing after their nerf in the Chaos Codex). Simple setup- 10 strong, wych weapons Succubus (my Lelith model- woot!) with Agonizer and Plasma Grenades in a basic raider.

This leaves 2 raiders for my troops. So 2 raider squads with a blaster and brightlance each, but not sure if they warrant sybarites or not...

And I can field a big- thick, beefy foot unit of 20, with a pair of splinter cannons and a pair of blasters (I know it sounds confused, but blasters seem to be the way better deal versus shredders...), and a sybarite in this unit carrying a WWP, tormentor helm, and agonizer.

For fast attack that leaves me 10 jetbikes, or 2 units of 5 with a pair of blasters in each. Haven't decided if I want to upgrade the leader to a succubus or not...

Thoughts?

Old 19 Sep 2007, 17:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yriel of Iyanden
This leaves 2 raiders for my troops. So 2 raider squads with a blaster and brightlance each, but not sure if they warrant sybarites or not...
Unlike the large warrior foot squad a Raider squad serves 2 purposes for me:

1. Mobile fire support
2. Mobile cc support

I like both my warrior squads and raider squads to shoot first - if I can get away with just shooting them then do it. However, the nature a raider squad is to get rather close and or respond where support is needed. Especially when you have 1 or 2 wych squads the raider squad can "join" the cc battle and assist the wyches. The idea being that the intial charge will reduce the enemy to a weak counter attack. So giving a raider squad a sybarite with an agoniser is a given. Sometimes (rarely) I use a minimum raider squad of 5 with a darklance but in those situations the raider is used as a decoy and the mini-sniper squad is setup in cover outside their raider.

Quote:
And I can field a big- thick, beefy foot unit of 20, with a pair of splinter cannons and a pair of blasters (I know it sounds confused, but blasters seem to be the way better deal versus shredders...), and a sybarite in this unit carrying a WWP, tormentor helm, and agonizer.
No tormentor helm is needed here so save your points of a tormentor heln and just give the sybarite a pistol and agoniser (its cheaper). You are right on about shredders - perhaps against orks and nids but still...

Quote:
For fast attack that leaves me 10 jetbikes, or 2 units of 5 with a pair of blasters in each. Haven't decided if I want to upgrade the leader to a succubus or not...
2 setups I use for bikes is:

1. Tank Hunter Squad 3 or 4 bikes with 2 blasters - tank hunting priority and assists the ravager as a back-up. I put these guys in the portal with the ravagers and they come out looking for tanks. If a whirlwind or bassie wasn't to out of reach you could also start them on the board and just turbo as much as possible using cover the best you can and you just might get that one chance to "pop" the tank. Sacrificial really, the enemy will freak out at the advancing bikes and will train every gun on them if he can.

2. Close Combat Support - 5 bikes and 1 Succubus. 2 blasters and the succubus has a power weapon and t-helm. Plasma, trophy rack, etc. is all optional. This unit can take on small squads or assist wyches but I would be VERY selective on who you throw them against. Remember they have a base of 1 attack so their power is in the charge - they are not meant for a prolonged battle. This setup you can either use them as a tank hunting support unit or a close combat support unit. The only time I would use them as a full fledged close combat unit is with an Archon or Dracon on a bike as well. Kinda expensive and the points is equal to another wych squad on a raider (which can do the same things as the bikes but only better).

P.S. Dont let the 4+ save fool you, its weak and any amount of fire or close combat will hurt them - prepare to take morale tests often.