Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do DE handle armor and MEQ's?
Old 23 Jul 2007, 17:53   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default How do DE handle armor and MEQ's?

That says it all. DE seem SO fragile from the SV numbers it looks like it would very hard to win with them.

<><
BLACK_TEMPLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 19:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: How do DE handle armor and MEQ's?

From what I can see, DE can get very cheap Dark Lances. They also have wyches, wych can rip threw Meqs with ease.

Dark Eldar have a much harder time at it and require a good tactician to play well. I've seen some very powerful DE armies though.

BE
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 00:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Siruk

Yes dark eldar are a hard army to play, but because of the challenge they are fun to play for someone who enjoys a challenge.
And once you have mastered dark eldar, there are very few armies that can defeat you.

The dark lance is excellant for anti-armour, and it comes standard on raiders, with three on a ravager.

And i will tell you this now, dark eldar are actually one of the best armies to use to take down a monolith or blessed hull land raider

Siruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 22:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

BLACK_TEMPLAR,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_TEMPLAR
How do DE handle armor?
By armor I'm guessing you're referring to tanks (and if not, the second part of my post talks about armour on infantry).

The Dark Eldar aren't actually too bad at taking down tanks. The main way to take down tanks with Dark Eldar is to take lots of Dark Lances, which come very cheaply to the Dark Eldar, and have the Lance rule, so they treat big bad AV13+ tanks as if they were AV12. This means that all Dark Lances will have a go at harming a tank on at least a roll of a 4+ on the die. And with Dark Lances being quite common in Dark Eldar armies, those 4+'s really add up.

Another way for Dark Eldar to tank down tanks is to take some Wyches with Haywire Grenades, and a Succubus with a Goblet of Spite. It's good because, naturally, they're Haywire Grenades, so each Wyche can have a decent chance at doing some good damage, but, here's the real treat, this goes for Skimmers too. You'd normally have a real hard time hitting a skimmer, but not with the Goblet of Spite. This means that even Monoliths can be taken down by the Dark Eldar quite easily, even though they normally ignore the Lance rule.

So.... yeah, Dark Eldar are fragile and all that, but that doesn't mean they can't beat the stuffing off of tanks in their way.

Quote:
How do DE handle MEQ's?
Taking down MEQ's isn't too hard for the Dark Eldar. We're fragile, yes, but we can of course put out our infamously powerful Eldar firepower. We have insane access to Dark Lances in infantry squad, so you can dedicate some Dark Eldar to just sit back and popshot at incoming MEQ units with AP2 shots. Plus, our Ravagers can take up to THREE Disintegrators, which can equal up to nine AP3 shots per turn, per Ravager. That's incredible anti-MEQ. Add that to the focused Disintegrator shot, and you can pop out blast templates of AP2, which is really fun against those pesky Terminator squads.

Plus, our assault power against MEQ's isn't too bad either. Sure, we're weaker than they are, but Wyches can make them seem like they've never fought before in their lifes with Wych Weapons (they can be reduced to WS2!), and with an annoyingly good inv. save, and Combat Drugs, you can even put up a fight without them (though they're recommended because they're so cheap). Plus, I've sent a Talos ripping its way through two squads of Marines before dying.

Plus, a good Lord and retinue of Incubi can make short work of a squad of Tactical Squad Marines.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
ToastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 22:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Meqs are actually quite easy to play since they tend to underestimate use, which is great.

They are also nothing in CC, against us, plus with splinter cannons in squads we can force them to take so many saves it doesnt matter what armour save they are.

Old 01 Aug 2007, 14:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
That says it all. DE seem SO fragile from the SV numbers it looks like it would very hard to win with them.

<><
As people above have noted, DE Love armour and MEQ...load up on Dark Lances in the infantry, and lances and disintegrators in the ravagers/raiders.

Here's the List @ 1500 pts:

- 6 x 100 pts buys the classic DE sniper squad of 10 warriors + 2 D/L, 6 of those and thats 8 head busting hits a bound.

- 2 small Wych units, and a

- Lord + Retinue

gives 3 Raiders (and 3 useful anti MEQ units), which with

- 3 Ravagers

gives 6 D/L and 6 Disintegators - ie another 8 hits a bound at least (can be 15 anti MeQ with Dintegrators in gatling mode).

Most armoured/MEQ outfits cannot deal with 16 tank busting / 23 MEQ busting incoming hits a bound, we have KO's Iron Warriors, 'Nids, Smurfs and Necrons within 3 bounds before.
Old 01 Aug 2007, 14:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In 1500 points you can get 30 Dark lances.

dracon + w/ 5 warriors + 2 DL + raider
dracon + w/ 5 warriors + 2 DL + raider
320 points, 6 DL's

6x Sniper squad
600 points, 12 DL's

3x 5man scourge squad w/ 4 dark lances
540 points, 12 DL's

Total: 1460 points

Bring on the armoured companies.

Math hammer with that army vs land raider
30 shots
20 hits
10 glance/penetrate.
4 glance 6 penetrate lets say.
3 and a bit dead land raiders.

Go Go Uber Cheese Dark lance army.

Old 02 Aug 2007, 09:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:

<><
pffft!

DE are amongst the most lethal of 40k armies. in the hands of a skilled and experienced player, DE are truly awe inspiring. you gotta play 'em hard, fast, and ruthless.

yes, they die on a 2 to most things, but thry have to be alive to shoot me, and i've got a turn 2 assault with 30 wyches to take them down.

my list.
archon with cool stuff.
3 haemonculi with scissorhands and shredders (with wyches)
3 wych squads, succubus with agoniser, 2 blasters, wych weapons, and raiders.
3 warriors squads, with 2 dark lances.
2 ravagers with the plasma cannon thingy (destructors?)

that's 15 dark lances. 15 bs4 shots a turn that never need more than a 4 to glance. and that's 15 shots that instant kill marines too!
and 27 wyches. that half your WS. that ignore your extra ccws. that get a bonsu ability at start of game...
and 30 warriors for shooting stuff...
and a load of str4 ap3 shots from the ravagers to take care of anything thats left over.

fragile, yes. like a razor blade. swift, delicate cuts... or else pulp the face with vicious strikes... ;D thats DE. once they're in your face, send your prayers to the emperor...

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2007, 20:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Indeed, Dark Eldar games tend to be over by turn 3~4...one way or the other.
Old 05 Aug 2007, 05:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to DakkaDakkaDude

DE either murder their opponents or get murdered quickly...

my friend plays DE and to be completely honest, I think they fare best against MEQ's...

He *never* loses to Space Marines...my necrons and him get draws often.

Moving on, DE can field an impressive amount of ...I think it's disentegrators (the choice besides dark lance that Ravagers/Raiders can take). Since these are AP 3 weapons, they are crazy good!

This may seem obvious, but massing AP 3 weapons is not a bad thing. if I played DE, I'd have quite a few of these bad boys. Since you don't have ordnance templates...just bombard them with enough blast templates!

Also, I find haemonculus work wonders with destructors. Sure, you might get an AP 5 or 6, but you have a 50% chance of eating space marine armor, and a 33% chance of eating through termies...

Also, Incubus retinue are a must for those meqs.

When it comes to Vehicles, Dark Lances and Bikers with Blasters are the way to go! At 25 points each, take enough to survive oncoming fire, and blast him with the two blasters. They are lance as well so they will hurt him bad, and can move 24" forward to get on that vulnerable side or rear he is trying to protect.

Haywire grenades work great too. in my oppinion, Dark Eldar are all about throwing enough threats out there that he can't possibly counter it all. Sure, he can take down your bikes. You still got three lance sniper squads. He takes down one lance squad, two more still there, and the bikes are gonna put the hurtin' next turn. This isn't even mentioning bad boys like Ravagers.

Oh, and you could webway a talos in and start murdering...well...basically anything...
DakkaDakkaDude is offline   Reply With Quote