Warhammer 40K Forum

Wave Serpents, Falcons and Fire Prisms
Closed Thread
Old 13 Aug 2005, 18:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer
Default Wave Serpents, Falcons and Fire Prisms

How many of each do you tend to use in a average/large sized battle (by that I mean around 1500 to 2000 points.)

I tend to use just the one - a Wave Serpent, do you think it would be a good idea for me to take more tanks - perhaps a falcon?
Old 13 Aug 2005, 19:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: Wave Serpents, Falcons and Fire Prisms

With Dark Reapers being totally rump in 4th Ed I am going to start using them more and more.

1 Falcon in 1500 pts (with 3 Vypers).

I rarely play 2000 point games so I haven't made a 2000 point Eldar list. Strangely when my games go above 1500 points they tend to be at least 3000 point battles.

The tank gods are very fickle* , but it is slightly less so with Eldar due to the good old fast skimmer rule. I don't think including a Falcon will do you any harm as it is a great tank, although it will set you back a lot of points.

Anything more than 3 Eldar tanks in a 1500 point game and I think that too many points are being used on them which could go on other things.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 20:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

I wouldn't really see Fire Prisms being worth their points for that one shot BS 3 weapon in any points limit!

As for Falcons and Wave Serpents, combined I think there is good argument for taking two, possibly even three for the larger battles. Bearing in mind that Falcons will be more expensive, but give you a much better gunboat. As the Wave Serpent is a dedicated transport then it may depend on your army tactics and composition for whether or not you wish to include multiple Serpents or not.

Old 13 Aug 2005, 20:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

With Fire-Prisms though they are a really cheap tank and can last even without upgrades. Just over 100 Points for a Laser Destroyer (which is essentially what the Prism Cannon is) and that cost is pretty good.

The Destroyer Tank Hunter for Guard is a lot more points and has pretty much the same weapons. Just chunky armour rather than a fast skimmer to keep it alive.

So I think 1 Prism, gliding about at the back of your lines, out of range, either hitting enemy tanks or heavy infantry...is a decent enough unit.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 21:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Well I am just thinking whether or not in a big battle you would use up one of your Heavy Support Slots on a Fire Prism at all?

IMO one slot just has to go for that dependable, survivable gunboat which is the Falcon, another to a Fire-Magnet gun bearing Wraithlord, and the third to Reapers to lay down massed fire power...I just can't fit in room for a Fire Prism there! But hey that is just me, Wraithlords and Fire Prisms (with a few upgrades) are going to cost roughly the same, and for me its quite an easy choice in a large battle where I would have other tanks as well.

Old 13 Aug 2005, 21:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

I used to like the Fire prism but to be honest with you I agree that a single weapon, costing significantly over 100 points which misses half the time just isn't worth it compared to what a falcon/WS can offer. The weapon is powerful but just not worth it.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 22:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I use two currently - alarmingly enough, the "Transport" Wave Serpent is actually a superior tank hunter with TL Lances, while the objective of the Falcon was just get as many shots for as many purposes as possible, so I ended up with ShuriCan, Starcannon layout. When your main opponent feilds Railheads, Deathrains, and Broadsides, I felt justified in plugging almost every survivability-enhancer possible into them.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 11:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

I use 2 falcons. Mainly because I don't use any wraithlords or guards merely cos I don't feel like it. (Doesn't fit well with the eldar imagery IMO)

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
Old 15 Aug 2005, 12:25   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Personally, I plan on using... lessee, where's that army list? *rummages through his room* ...Ahah! 2 Vypers, 2 Wave Serpents (both with TL Bright Lance), and two Falcons in 1500, adding an additional Wave Serpent in 2000 - but then, I'm playing mechanised Biel-Tan, so a lot of tanks is quite appropriate. And I find that after three or four games, enough to let your opponent get over everything bad they've heard about Wraithlords, the Falcon will be the greater fire magnet, and more likely to survive the job, too.
Closed Thread