Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Harlies 1500, Fluff and army list!
Closed Thread
Old 02 Aug 2005, 09:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Harlies 1500, Fluff and army list!

After much deliberation between the types of Eldar, and which would be most fun to play, I eventually settled on the oddball oddity that is the Harlequins. In some ways, they remind me of the Fair Folk of eastern european legend. Not as pixies and faeries, but as chaotic, terrifying spinners of tales and glamours from beyond the edges of the world. Ravagers of dreams and minds, futile to stand against.

My knowledge of their fluff is somewhat limited, but from what I understand, they are remanants from the fall of the Eldar race, whom took active rebellion against the hold Slaanesh had over their hearts. They paid dire price for their freedom, yet still muster the gusto to protect the secrets of their race, and share the tales of the falll without fear or apprehension. Their craftworld kin, on the other hand, have all but shut the Fall out of their minds.

I figured that since the Harlequins are small bands of troupes, story-tellers, and the occasional maurauders, their numbers would be extremely limited, and that if the Harlequins are hitting the battlefield in any degree of force, there would be *DAMNED* good reason for it, and that it would require the unification of many free-roaming bands.

So, I diversified my harlequins into three bands, based on their particular tendancies for combat, obsessions of style, and what (non-fluff-wise) their unit specializes in fighting.

The Whimsical Dragonfy -

I intend to paint these fellows as almost baroque. Jeweled, patterned, a bit noisy and gaudy. Their obsession is the fevered dream. They specialize in mobility and psychological combat. The troupe combined with the great harlequin will attempt to move into position behind or flanking the enemy, and catch them in the open. The hope is that they will be "under the radar" enough, that their small unit size and lack of special weaponry disguises their power. Their aim is to strike just hard enough to win the assault, and force a leadership test, after which they win by default in a sweeping advance. They act dramatically and fight with excessive flourish and regard for aesthetics. They specialize in blunting the advance of medium leadership, medium model count elite units.

The Smoldering Cedar -

These will be painted in a twilight motif. They are the harlequins who took on responsability for defending and guarding the secrets of the Black Library. They defend their inheritance with zeal, and have a penchant for the exotic, inciting confusion, and causing death in masse. They want revenge, and they seek it doggedly. Some might take on an "arab" motif, with veils and loose fitting clothes. Their aim is to thin crowds, killing with invisible monofilament, supporting their advances with missile fire from multiple directions, and misdirecting the enemy with their shadow-seer. They are the horde hunters.

The Frosted Lily -

These are the Harlequins who found their calling in direct fighting with the Great Enemy. Freeing themselves of their clutches simply wasn't enough. These Harlequins have learned that passion and emotions are what fuel chaos, so they fight it with cold efficiency and precision. The Solitaires number among these ranks, as they are the ones who made the highest sacrifice to better fight chaos. Their aim is to be a scalpel which eliminates the greatest threats to their kin, and which is unaffraid to fight the toughest enemies in direct confrontation. They are the "big multi-wound things in power-armor" killers.

I need to cut 28 points from the list, yet it isn't a huge concern to me yet. I only *HAVE* four models for this army. Yes, four. But I feel that good planning now will help me slowly and surly develop an army that I'd love to field. Not for it's power, but for it's uniqueness.

Harlequins (1528)

HQ

Great Harlequin of the Whimsical Dragonfly (129 pts)

Shuriken Pistol
Power weapon
Domino Field
Dread Mask
Hallucinogen Grenades

Shadow-seer of the Smoldering Cedar (108 pts)

Shuriken Pistol, Bio-Explosive Ammo
Harlequin’s Kiss
Plasma Grenades
Neuro-disruptor

Elites

Solitaire of the Frosted Lily (143 pts)

Shuriken Pistol
Rive-blades
Harlequin’s Kiss
Domino Field
Plasma Grenades

Death Jesters of the Frosted Lily (114 pts)

Power Blades
Brightlance

Power Blades
Brightlance

Death Jesters of the Smoldering Cedar (124 pts)

Power Blades
Eldar Missile Launcher

Power Blades
Eldar Missile Launcher

Troops

Troupe of the Frosted Lily (282 pts)

Ten strong.
Two power weapons
Plasma grenades

Troupe of the Smoldering Cedar (280 pts)

Ten strong.
Two Harlequin’s Kisses
Plasma grenades

Troupe of the Whimsical Dragonfly (273 pts)

Six strong.
Harlequin’s Kiss
Power weapon
Hallucinogen Grenades

Heavy Support

Venom of the Whimsical Dragonfly (75 pts)
Fusion gun

---

Let me know what you think. I'm currently only using the rules right off of the GW website. I've considered a spirit walker, and some mimes, but I'll save those for if I decide to raise the total to 2K points. I'm also considering drafting 500PT and 1000PT lists so that I can enjoy my army BEFORE it reaches completion many months down the line. This is just me trying to plan for an ultimate, final result.

-Yawgmoth
Old 03 Aug 2005, 22:04   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Harlies 1500, Fluff and army list!

*The Troupe of New Worlds enters, and the Great Harlequin bows reverently.*

Fellow dancers of the Webway, let me witness your battle-dance, and compare it to my own rythems of conflict...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawgmoth1111
Great Harlequin of the Whimsical Dragonfly (129 pts)

Shuriken Pistol
Power weapon
Domino Field
Dread Mask
Hallucinogen Grenades
Good unit, but it seems your wasting some potential. With their low strength, Power-weapons aren't a great weapon. I would either switch them for the Kiss, or Riveblades (which are much better vs Characters and Monsters).

Quote:
Shadow-seer of the Smoldering Cedar (108 pts)

Shuriken Pistol, Bio-Explosive Ammo
Harlequin’s Kiss
Plasma Grenades
Neuro-disruptor
Nice little guy.

Elites

Quote:
Solitaire of the Frosted Lily (143 pts)

Shuriken Pistol
Rive-blades
Harlequin’s Kiss
Domino Field
Plasma Grenades
Illegal equipment combo: Riveblades are a 1-handed weapon, and he has three of them... lose the pistol. Also, you cannot combine the effects of Rive/powerblades and the Kiss. You may already know this, but it's the most common form of cheating in the list...

Quote:
Death Jesters of the Frosted Lily (114 pts)

Power Blades
Brightlance

Power Blades
Brightlance
Nice.

Quote:
Death Jesters of the Smoldering Cedar (124 pts)

Power Blades
Eldar Missile Launcher

Power Blades
Eldar Missile Launcher
Just personal preference, but I don't like EMLs. I'd rather use the Shrieker Cannon.

Quote:
Troops

Troupe of the Frosted Lily (282 pts)

Ten strong.
Two power weapons
Plasma grenades
Nice unit. Have you considered a Troupe Leader to increase your fighting potential? A pistol, Kiss and Powerblades combo, whilst expensive, gives the troupe a seriously nasty leader.

Quote:
Troupe of the Smoldering Cedar (280 pts)

Ten strong.
Two Harlequin’s Kisses
Plasma grenades
Again, good unit. Same comments about the Troupe Leader.

Quote:
Troupe of the Whimsical Dragonfly (273 pts)

Six strong.
Harlequin’s Kiss
Power weapon
Hallucinogen Grenades
A Venom unit... and a nice little one at that.

Quote:
Heavy Support

Venom of the Whimsical Dragonfly (75 pts)
Fusion gun
Get a Holofield. The Venom is far too fragile to survive without one. Trust me, it's worth the points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 04 Aug 2005, 00:16   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Where would you consider loosing some points in the list to make up for the holo-field WG? Would trading the EML's for SC's free up some points? If Harlies can take Spirit Stones for their vehicles, it could be a cheaper alternative.

Looks like a nice list, and I like the fluff very much, but I'm not an expert with Harelquins so I think I'll leave most of it to the proffessionals.
Old 04 Aug 2005, 05:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Wargamer:

"Good unit, but it seems your wasting some potential. With their low strength, Power-weapons aren't a great weapon. I would either switch them for the Kiss, or Riveblades (which are much better vs Characters and Monsters)."

My reasons for this are twofold. First, fluffwise, I wanted my Great Harlequin to be a master of straight psychological warfare, and not rely on brute force. From a gameplay standpoint, I was hoping that I could take some heat off of him by making his approach to combat less direct. Well, you have more experience than me and make a good point, so I'll definitely consider it. I'm already hurting to trim the list a little down to 1500. If I can make room, I can't see a reason why not.

"Illegal equipment combo: Riveblades are a 1-handed weapon, and he has three of them... lose the pistol. Also, you cannot combine the effects of Rive/powerblades and the Kiss. You may already know this, but it's the most common form of cheating in the list..."

Ahh, good to know. I knew that combining the use of the two items was illegal, for certain. What I was intending was to give him the option of switching between the two against different targets, as the rules don't state (as in other codexes) that they can only have 1 weapon per hand. I figured that since the harlequins were so independent and self sustaining, they could cary, for example, a bandoleer of pistols. Able to use only one, but having the tool for every job. I got the monster/character assassin Solitare idea from one of your threads, actually. My biggest problem with the Harlequins was specializing them enough to excell in one task and not be a points sink.

"Just personal preference, but I don't like EMLs. I'd rather use the Shrieker Cannon."

I was hesitant to go for EML's myself, as they are heavy weapons. I considered the sacrifice of mobility to be worth it however, for a few reasons:

1. They're effective at hunting light armor. A capability which my army lacks. Dedicating brightlance shots at light transports is a waste of support fire that could be better used elsewhere.

2. Negating a 4+ save astronomically increases the number of models it can auto-wound over negating a 5+. If a shrieker template goes over 4 models it will wound 2 on average, and that's only if it kills the target model to begin with. Also, the opponent can cheese-out by removing the furthest model away from everyone, minimizing the troops under the template. If I hunt T3 models with the EML, it's likely to wound more, and if I hit, I *always* get the template, and I can almost always put it where it will do the most good.

Against gaunts and guardsman, I'd love to use the shrieker cannon. Still, I'd like to give the EML a shot, as it seems better on paper. I'm open to the fact that I can change my mind, though.

"Nice unit. Have you considered a Troupe Leader to increase your fighting potential? A pistol, Kiss and Powerblades combo, whilst expensive, gives the troupe a seriously nasty leader."

If I can scrape up the points, it sounds like a great idea. I'd probably give one unit's leader either the kiss or the powerblades, but probably not both. Being a Tau player really has really brainwashed me to seek specialization and homoginization with my units. I guess that's something that will take time to cure myself of.

Get a Holofield. The Venom is far too fragile to survive without one. Trust me, it's worth the points.

I actually factored it in to the points cost there, but forgot to write it down. I agree wholeheartedly.

Restayvien:

Thanks! I'm glad you liked the fluff. If I decide to swap the EMLS for SCs, that would free up 30 points, which is pretty signifigant. Unfortunately, I feel as if I'm incredibly weak at tank-fighting as it is. I'm trying to find a way to balance things. I don't want to min-max on jesters as that's a bit cheesy, and I would also like to avoid haywire grenades if at all possible. Still, the haywires might be a good alternative.

I need to find a few places to cut things. Not to mention I need to draft up a 500 pointer, or some kind of smaller army, so I can jump right in and start playing with these guys.

I'll post soon with a:

Kill Team
Combat Patrol
and a 500 pointer.
Closed Thread