Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rules for model conversions
Old 03 Jun 2010, 21:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Rules for model conversions

Are there any particular rules I would need to follow in order to have warlocks on jetbikes? I've seen pictures of a warlock mounted on a Guardian support weapon platform and I like the way it looks but a buddy argues that it wouldn't be legal due to the difference in dimensions between it and a jetbike.

I find the platform would be a much easier conversion than chopping models up to fit them on actual jetbikes. What do others do in this situation?
Laurish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2010, 21:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Rules for model conversions

My approch was to use an jetbike mounted Autarch and kitbash it with a Warlock (spear, head) and some greenstuff.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2010, 14:54   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Heh. Jetbike warlocks are the new wave serpent.

Guess you have to be a bit of an old timer to get that.

Make it look cool, make it look fast so that it fits in as a replacement for a jetbike and mount it on the large flying base like jetbikes come with.

Personally I don't think that a platform itself gives the same feel of fast as the jetbikes do and would stand out greatly.

For mine I found a buddy with a band saw and asked him ever so kindly to chop a couple of warlocks in half. Still have to get around to green stuff the robes on the lower half, but they work.

Perhaps a kit bash to make the rider look less like a jetbike guardian? If you're rocking the old torsos on your jetbikes maybe swap one around with the torso for a regular guardian? Fit a head from a high elf or other somesuch, use the spear arm from the DA sprue as a singing spear and find something different to fit for the vents on the back?

If you've got the bits to spare mark the jetbike out as unique by using the left arm and control panel from the Shining Spears jetbikes. Going further to mark the jetbike as unique get really thin plasticard and trace out some of the assorted warlock and farseer runes to plaster all over the bike to set it apart as well. The raised detail of pasting the cut-out runes might be easier to paint over than just freehanding the runes yourself.

I think that when it comes down to it you need to make it obviously different, and no modeling for effect. Other than that rock on with your bad self.
rotnak1271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2010, 17:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Technically, the height should be similar, and overall size should be comparable. If I saw some 'Hellion" warlocks I would be enthralled, but some may not think similarly. Alternatively, if you make the model LARGER overall, its harder to get cover, easier to see,and generally bad for you good for your opponent, and therefore easier to field in games, theoretically.

What really makes a warlock is the rune armour, special weapon, and some robes. Robes can be sculpted, armour can MAYBE be sculpted on special weapons could come from avengers, maybe some other high elf source.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 22:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to TigStripe

Saw some awesome Jetlocks that were standing Warlock models on top of the plastic base part of a Guardian heavy weapons platform. It was like a group of hoverdisc warriors or something. Quite cool.

My own Jetlocks are Guardian jetbikes, but contain bits from the Wood Elf cavalry to give them spears and capes. They're pretty amateurish, but I've gotten a lot of compliments on them for as simply done as they are.
It's a Small World After All.
TigStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2010, 01:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sau1us
Technically, the height should be similar, and overall size should be comparable. If I saw some 'Hellion" warlocks I would be enthralled, but some may not think similarly. Alternatively, if you make the model LARGER overall, its harder to get cover, easier to see,and generally bad for you good for your opponent, and therefore easier to.
This.

Except larger bases and models can give you advantages, too. So I would try to use the same base size.

@ OP: My personal feeling was that warlocks on fast moving jetbikes probably would not wear robes that flapped around. they would have an alternate uniform. I have used shining spears. For weapons I have used the DA sword and spears. The DA sprue has some other cool items, too. To make them look more like warlocks I have taken heads and other bits from warlocks and farseers and attached them.

Here is my first attempt at a farseer.

I have teh DA spear for a sining spear and have used bits from the eldrad model. The spine from Elrdads helm is attached to the back of the head and the banner pole is the top of Eldrads staff.

I also tried to "farseer up" the jetbike wings. This was one of my earlier attempts at freehand so the runes are not great but they may give you some ideas.

Hope these ideas help!
Old 13 Jun 2010, 10:03   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

One nifty idea for the wings on the sides is to use swooping hawk wings. Epic titan "wings" (those bits that look like the things sticking out of a wraithlord's back) could also work, although they are harder to find.

Annoyingly, I purchased some hawk wings and now I'm not sure I want the jetseer... bah. If anyone knows how a winged autarch could be useful at all without a supporting unit of hawks, let me know.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 16:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

With the current codex and rules a winged autarch is relatively useless.

The main reason to give him wings would be to hunt tanks or get him into CC faster, but he would need a supporting unit either way. The only one that would be close would be swooping hawks and hunting things down to assault is not how I would use them.

The only possibility that I can see is to give the autarch wings, powerweapon and fusion gun and attach him to a unit of hawks with intercept. They would be able to assault land raiders and such, but probably die afterwards.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 19:46   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

For my jetbike warlocks I made the bike stand out by using the wings from the bfg eldar nightshade destroyers. I trimmed the rear wings and put those on in their place.
rotnak1271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2010, 19:49   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I had an idea that you could convert jetlocks using the new plastic deldar hellions and using eldar heads, weapons, etc.