Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

dire avengers
Old 30 May 2010, 09:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Atlantis
Default dire avengers

what would be a good dire avenger squad size large enought to last in a annihilation mission and small enought so i can deploy 3 squads as troops choices in a 2k game?
Old 30 May 2010, 10:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia
Default Re: dire avengers

You cant garuntee any troop choice surviving anihilation missions in 2k, but generally the more numbers the better. Try getting a transport and maxing out the capacity of the squad so that it can last if shot or assaulted against a fair amount of targets. In 2k points its easy to get 3 mechanised squads of dire avengers in as long as you dont want to use seer councils or other point hungry units :P

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 14:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would agree max size is probably best. Either the mechanized variant, which would have to be complimented by a similarly fast army. Or if you prefer eldar on foot, In 1850 point games I can field a wraithwall (major points sink) and two squads of avengers easily. In 2000 it's even less of a problem. If they're on foot, though, make sure you have some bullet magnets nearby to stop them from dissapearing before they get within their 18" range.

Battle is a Symphony. Every soldier an instrument, Every footstep a note, Every shot a resounding bass, Every clash of swords a sweeping solo. The autarch, the general and the conductor must hear the central harmony. Know when to keep the rhythm, Know when to change key, Know when to bait and lure, Know when to explode with sheer power, Know every aspect of his work till it's creschendo builds to that inexorable and explosive climax that leaves the enemy bloody, broken and shattered. A true master creates a new melody every time and rarely falls back on old tunes.

Crusader777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 16:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you want survival you have 3 ways to go.

10 DA w/ bladestorm in a Serpent

10 DA w/ Shimmershield and defend in Serpent

5-6 DA in Falcon with holos and stones.

In my most recent 2k list I am running one of each unit.

I like to take EML or Lances on the serpents. It lets them sit back and shoot some things before they make their moves. Don't have the 10 man units hop out unless they can do alot of dmg and not take too much return fire.

If you want to focus more points on more tanks or other spendy units you can simply get 5 DA and put them in serpents/falcons. Basically consider it a 60 point upgrade to make the tank scoring. 5 DA go down to a stiff breeze so only let them get out if you really need them or their ride is shot down.

If you are playing 2k with DA on foot they will probably die alot. You would need to have alot of other high threat units to force your opponent to ignore the DA for a round or two.
Old 31 May 2010, 17:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The one two punch with avengers makes a potent anvil. If you take a squad of ten with bladestorm and 2x Shuriken Cannons for Shooting at the foe heavily. And compliment it with a squad of ten with Defend, Power Weapon and Shimmershield (Bladestorm if you can afford it) to shoot and charge whatever the cc threat is. The invulnerable save and the missing attack usually allows you a few turns of survivability until you can get some harlequins or banshees into charging range for your hammer. It's only weakness is enemy armor so keep some anti tank nearby and you have a potent fire team that can hold up to two objectives.

Battle is a Symphony. Every soldier an instrument, Every footstep a note, Every shot a resounding bass, Every clash of swords a sweeping solo. The autarch, the general and the conductor must hear the central harmony. Know when to keep the rhythm, Know when to change key, Know when to bait and lure, Know when to explode with sheer power, Know every aspect of his work till it's creschendo builds to that inexorable and explosive climax that leaves the enemy bloody, broken and shattered. A true master creates a new melody every time and rarely falls back on old tunes.

Crusader777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2010, 02:15   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Having your avengers boosted up by a farseer with (at the least) fortune will give 'em a degree more survivability too. Cumulative effects, such as fortune and a warlock with embolden has the potential to make a bladestorm DA squad quite the unit for its points cost, especially if you manage to get Doom cast onto the target. Shimmershield is quite essential I find but don't make the mistake I see a lot of eldar players make, which is charge the avengers into combat based solely on the presence of a power weapon.
Firesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2010, 22:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firesoul
Having your avengers boosted up by a farseer with (at the least) fortune will give 'em a degree more survivability too. Cumulative effects, such as fortune and a warlock with embolden has the potential to make a bladestorm DA squad quite the unit for its points cost, especially if you manage to get Doom cast onto the target. Shimmershield is quite essential I find but don't make the mistake I see a lot of eldar players make, which is charge the avengers into combat based solely on the presence of a power weapon.
I would love to put an embolden 'lock in my DA squad. But how, praytell, do you figure you can pull that one off?

???
Old 07 Jun 2010, 15:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Heh, plan on having all guardians wiped out, forcing the warlock to be an IC, who then joins the nearby Avenger Squad. Lone Warlocks DO become IC righttt?
Old 07 Jun 2010, 15:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sau1us
Lone Warlocks DO become IC righttt?
No more than a Space Marine Sergeant does when the rest of his squad gets wiped out. Warlocks are not Independent Characters and do not become so upon the death of the remainder of their squad.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2010, 16:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The table next to me yesterday had this situation happen actually, no one objected, and it was said with such confidence. Not that it mattered that much in that case...

Good analogy, I'll use it if they try it again. I cannot find any reference in the codex to back up the IC claim.