Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ideas for platform rule change
Old 15 May 2010, 18:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Ideas for platform rule change

I can't tell where to put this other than eldar. Mod Please move it to the appropriate place if you have to.

I have an idea about the platforms rule-wise if they ever make changes. By the look of both the old and the new one the platform looks pretty robust and could almost have an AV rating but I know no one wants them to have that. One idea could be to give them a better Toughness because of the protection the platform gives them. Another, the one I like, is that the platform has a energy field projector that gives itself and anyone within 2" of it a 4+ inv save vs. shooting. It would not work on CC because they would be inside the protection. I would even go crazy enough to give it a 3+ save.

Another thing, since the platform uses two men to work it. How about the one not shooting the platform act as a forward observer of some sort and give the platform +1 to BS as long as he is alive. If the crew takes a wound and he dies the platform reverts to the normal BS3. Since most of them are G weapons I don't think the +1 BS is going to do much harm. Does the vib cannon even use BS?

Modified: I guess no one cares but I checked Vibro Cannon and it does use BS. If you fail it does nothing, if you do then you draw your vibe-line.
CelestialDragonKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2010, 12:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808
Default Re: Ideas for platform rule change

I think the higher toughness is the best option. Just give the weapon a unit statline with T5. This would make it more killable so it should get a point drop (or even higher T-value). Make it a 2 wound model like most heavy weapon platforms OR we could get something special. I'm thinking along the lines of AV with wounds. So first you have to beat the AV to be able to wound the models, then you get an armour save from the model (or not if AP is low enough).

So it would work like this:
- roll to hit
- roll for AP (as like a tank)
- roll for Save (like a model)
- take wound(s)

Sure this makes it a special case but this could be applied to all artillery units. This gets rid of the roll for what you hit rule and would make them just as survivable. OK maybe a little less survivable, but then you could just increase save or AV to compensate.

I think this makes sense if you see the model (as in new model). You first shoot through the weapon and hit the gunner, now he also has armour. Sure you could also insert a wound roll but this would make it to hard to kill.

Altough I like the extra BS, I don't think it's needed. Normally you take 2 weapons and like you said it doesn't matter so much for scatter. But with 2 Vibrocannons you already have a TL weapon, seeing as the Vibrocannon only needs 1 hit. So we are the only race (as far as I know) that can triple link our weapons.

Greetz

Pisces_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2010, 19:01   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

These are now Artillery aren't they? I just re-read the rules on them. I didn't use any before and haven't never fought any yet. You roll to see if the weapon or the men are hit. Which is going to be confusing since the new model has the guy sitting on it. The weapon has an AV of 10 and the guys are just normal. Also as long as they have the gun they can not assault. So I think a inv. sv. might be more useful against hvy weapons than the higher T.

I could not find the rules for G weapons though. Can anyone point me in right direction? I looked at the FAQ too. I assume they are barrage too if there's more than one in a squad.
CelestialDragonKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2010, 22:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialDragonKing
These are now Artillery aren't they? I just re-read the rules on them.
Yes, the Support Weapons are unit type Artillery, and follow the rules you described. Personally I have no problem with them continuing to use the artillery rules, as long as their effectiveness goes up/their price goes down.

Quote:
I could not find the rules for G weapons though. Can anyone point me in right direction? I looked at the FAQ too. I assume they are barrage too if there's more than one in a squad.
I think it's in the BRB FAQ, but yes, G weapons refer to "guess weapons;" they're just barrage weapons now.
I can't believe games workshop are really that unorganised. The DE codex looks like it was made back in 1970 and yet they're more worried about making sure the space marines are walking around in diamond coated power armour and shooting tyranids with sequin covered bolters
Deris87 is offline   Reply With Quote