Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Viability of a ranger/ pathfinder heavy army?
Old 03 May 2010, 20:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Mirage
Default Viability of a ranger/ pathfinder heavy army?

I was looking at the great potential of pathfinder units and thinking just how well these master snipers could do all by themselves. The HQ I would take would be eldrad, so I can reposition some pathfinder units if need be
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2010, 21:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default Re: Viability of a ranger/ pathfinder heavy army?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage
I was looking at the great potential of pathfinder units and thinking just how well these master snipers could do all by themselves. The HQ I would take would be eldrad, so I can reposition some pathfinder units if need be
I wouldn't go too pathfinder heavy. They're great shooters but it turns your army into a gun line. This tactic seems pretty much dead regardless of how good your gunline is. They're going to have a lot of trouble dealing with vehicles and large swarms. Additionally any units that can deepstrike and shoot flame templates will eat your entire army for breakfast. Close combat will also be a major weakness for you. I would use them as support. They're cheap scoring units that can provide accurate high AP fire power to a target of your choice. Pinning really cant be relied on though.

I would definitely add some to an army. But I wouldn't rely on them.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2010, 21:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

What would you guys say is the upper limit for units of Pathfinders in a 2000pt army? And what's the ideal squad size? Considering you want to plant them in area terrain, going for the full 10 seems cumbersome and not likely worth the points. My friend is considering Alaitoc, and I think he understands an entirely pathfinder army just isn't viable, but he wants to include a reasonable number.
I can't believe games workshop are really that unorganised. The DE codex looks like it was made back in 1970 and yet they're more worried about making sure the space marines are walking around in diamond coated power armour and shooting tyranids with sequin covered bolters
Deris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2010, 21:57   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It may be fluffy for you but I found they are not very useful against any power armor. I've seen all hit, all wound, and all saved. Many times not just once, and not a single rending. Also they are expensive and can't move if you want them to actually do their shooting. Against everything else they are good because most won't make their save. Also the ability to wound on 4+ just isn't useful if most of the army you fight is T4 or less anyway.
CelestialDragonKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2010, 21:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've seen 10 work... if you plop them down ontop of an objective in some heavy cover they are nearly unmovable by anything that doesn't ignore cover. Then again... I'm not the guy to ask, I've only played against Eldar twice.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2010, 22:36   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I admit I've tried the whole Pathfinder gun-line thing, I've only really found it somewhat effective in Annihilation but still the enemy will manage to close on you and it's game over. I usually use a fair amount still (1,500 pt games Average), like a unit of ten Pathfinders. I just plop them down on an objective with a good line of sight and pick at the heavy infantry. I find that 5+ AP1 of them can really put the hurt on a unit of TEU's or just use that fear against my opponent and just lock down a vital street. Plus the models looks sweet, and that alone is enough for me.
Froggmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2010, 22:43   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I do like rangers/pathfinders. They are fine defensively too. But so expensive for what little they can kill.
Old 03 May 2010, 23:03   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialDragonKing
I do like rangers/pathfinders. They are fine defensively too. But so expensive for what little they can kill.
I do agree, though back when they hit on 2+ their price was a bit more worth it. Now you kinda have to get lucky to earn their points back, although guiding them has nearly always been spectacular for me.
Froggmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2010, 00:28   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I found dark reapers with their power armor to be better than rangers for the long range killing. No need to hope for a rending with them! But again I think rangers are fine depending on who they are against. I did forget that they have Masters of Stealth, but how useful is that too since some of it is based on movement and then they can't shoot?
Old 04 May 2010, 16:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialDragonKing
I found dark reapers with their power armor to be better than rangers for the long range killing. No need to hope for a rending with them! But again I think rangers are fine depending on who they are against. I did forget that they have Masters of Stealth, but how useful is that too since some of it is based on movement and then they can't shoot?
Yea, power armor is best wrecked with reapers. Pathfinders have a great deal of flexibility, made up for with a little bit of reduction in fire power. The random AP1 is great sure, but most things get cover (but MC and vehicles), and the random rend has similar issues. Now while they cannot really be anti tank powerhouses, they form my first line of defence against monstrous creatures.

So it depends on army size, at 2000 I think your farseer might have something better to do than stick with the pathfinders; but at low points games 1000 and below the farseer guiding the pathfinders and dooming the enemy MC can cause a whole lot of damage that their toughness and above average armor can't deal with. This whole 'kit' is kinda expensive, not sure if its always worth it. I have fielded my pathfinders in every game since I got them, they let me down once, but keep your standards for success reasonable and they do fine.

Any more than 10 seems like a mistake, unless facing off against a lot of MC, consistently.