Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Eldar newbe
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jul 2005, 18:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Eldar newbe

Hi, Im thinking about collecting an ulthwe army and I have a basic list of what I want sorted out, but can anyone with experience give me any ideas of what works really well against most armies n what i should put in a baisic army list of any kind.

Thanks ;D
Come on everybody sing along with me!
(Yes I maybe insane but unless you want me and my very nice friends in silver hunting you down I would keep quiet about it, alright?)
Old 22 Jul 2005, 02:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Eldar newbe

welcome to the forums ^^

your basic ulthwe army list will usually consist of a core two units of black guardians. it's typical for these two units to be packing either a starcannon platform or a bright lance platform. the size of the units will vary depending on the points. each of these units will ideally be packing a conceal warlock.

with regards to your seer council, some points:

fortune is a requirement.

embolden and enhance can help them survive close combat.

elrich storm is relativly poor against anything but cannon fodder (or very low toughness troops).

mind war is an effective sniping tool when used with augment (i never leave home without it).

guide can be lethal when helping a unit of heavy weaponry.

pack a couple of "fall guys" into the council. a fall guy is the cheapest warlock config you can get : warlock/augment/cc/sp. fall guys take important wounds in place of your more powerful council members, they also help with multiple chances to augment.

spirit stones are too expensive. get another farseer instead if you'd like to cast another psychic power.

the rest can be pretty interchangeable. i suggest making absolutely certain that you take at least one starcannon and one bright lance though.

i'm sure the others will have better advice for you, good luck ^^;

i make my own sigs! want one, then ask nicely ^^
Old 22 Jul 2005, 07:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Sin's too modest - he's given you pretty good advice which I'll expand on:

You're two compulsory troops have to be black guardians. Black guardians are great units which get free upgrades from normal guardians. Therefore take large numbers og black guardian in the squads to take advantage of this. If you take black defender guardians then definitely take a starcannon, EMS, bright lance to take advantage of the good BS. If you take black storm guardians - upgrade them! Give them haywire grenades and fusion guns and a warlock with enhance. You could then perhaps transport them in a wave serpent to an enemy tank and watch them blow it up!

You must take a seer council as well. As Sin said - always take fortune on them. Guide (especially when used on black guardian defenders) can be incredibly effective. I tend not to take mind war, mainly because I find it too unreliable, but then again I've never used it with augment - and doubling the range would definitely make it much more useful. Again, as Sin said - try never to use Spirit Stones - they are much too expensive. It costs exactly the same number of points to get a new farseer - which would be much better to do as it makes the seer council more difficult to kill.

As for other units - aspect warriors, I recommend taking two with radically different roles. I'm thinking of collecting an Ulthwe army and I'm intending to take Fire dragons and Scorpions. The Fire Dragons will be used for a firepower/anti tank role while the Scorpions will be used for use in assault. These different roles allow the army to be more flexible and useful on the battlefield.

As for other units, such as heavy support and fast attack units, it's entirely up to you, depending on what units you like to use. For example, I'd always use a wraithlord, but you have to take other factors into account, such as the army you're playing.

Hope that helps.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 08:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the help, I already planned to included scorpions and fire dragons in my list so that helps alot and the seer council im planning has 2 farseers and 6 warlocks, 2 of which i plan to use in the black defender squads. Do you think I should put a warlock in the black storm defenders squad? When it comes to transport I aready ahd the idea to put my storm guardians into a wave sertpent but do you think I should put my fire dragons into a falcon to make them more maenouverable around the battle field. Finally apart from the usual wraithlord what other heavy support options could you suggest because thats the only section of the army Im really having problems with
(Yes I maybe insane but unless you want me and my very nice friends in silver hunting you down I would keep quiet about it, alright?)
Old 22 Jul 2005, 09:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think that you should definitely put a warlock into the black storm guardian squad - the benefits it can give (such as enhance or conceal) are too great to be missed.

Yep - by all means put the fire dragons into a falcon, that sounds pretty good to me.

Heavy support:
apart from a wraithlord a falcon is usually a good solid choice - and arguably one of the best tanks in warhammer 40k. It sounds like your already thinking about it with the fire dragon transportation. I wouldn't recommend a Fire Prism - as I think a falcon's much better. War walkers would be a possible choice, but personally I don't like them as I think they die just too easily. However some people make them work well.
Dark Reapers work well too - they add great fire support, but bear in mind that they die very easily and they take up an aspect warrior slot.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 10:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Spaceknight

Shadow knight are you planing in having the force organisation chart filled up completly?

Im dyislexic dont hate me for it
Old 22 Jul 2005, 11:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

No, not completely but i would be looking for 3 heavy support choices definately. To be honest im not sure about dark reapers, yeah they're good against marines and light vehicles but im really looking for some good anti-tank weaponry because at the moment it adds up to a wratithlord, fire dragons and a bright lance or 2 in the black guardian squads when they're not tied down by enemy troops.
Old 22 Jul 2005, 11:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well a falcon's pulse laser is a great anti tank weapon - and if you give the falcon a bright lance as well...
Old 22 Jul 2005, 11:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

don't forget rezzy's beloved vypers ;D

130 points gets you two highly mobile weapon platforms which can be packing either a bright lance or a starcannon. another ten points and you can upgrade to missle launchers, which can do anti-armour or anti troop.

they're fragile, but if used right they can be absolutley devastating.

i make my own sigs! want one, then ask nicely ^^
Old 22 Jul 2005, 12:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Spaceknight

What race will you be versusing mostly?

Im dyislexic dont hate me for it
Closed Thread