Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warriors of Old
Old 27 Apr 2010, 13:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Warriors of Old

Now that I have a fair amount of wraith constructs on my side, I was wondering what they are really like. Got quite a few questions for those of you skilled in the way of lore.

While it is known Wraithlords have memory of the past, do the wraithguard also possess this?
Are Wraithguards volunteers, well do thy have a choice. The craftworld will ask, but can they/will they refuse?
If a Wraithguard is destroyed, they could still be recovered in the stones and reconstituted in another construct right?
Can a wraithguard theoretically retire in some utpoia where the Eldar no longer need their services?
Can any eldar in the circuit be used? Would a simple guardian be strong willed enough, or would you need an aspect warrior?
Are Wraithguard spirits chosen or do they 'go fishing' in the infinity circuit.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 14:51   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Warriors of Old

I'm not positive of this but I thought there was fluff about how the spirits in the Infinity Circuit volunteer. The spirits must gather to a special location in the circuit go then enter a spirit stone. The spirit stone is then place on the Wraithguard/lord body. This is just my own thoughts now though.

I would assume that as long as the spirit stone is not harmed then it can be put on a new body if the construct is damaged. Think of it as replacing the CPU in a robot. This is one of the great advantages to the spirit constructs.

As far as going to utopia, they would just go back to the Infinity Circuit to "rest". Supposedly it's difficult for a spirit to run and construct body.
CelestialDragonKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2010, 15:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sau1us
Now that I have a fair amount of wraith constructs on my side, I was wondering what they are really like. Got quite a few questions for those of you skilled in the way of lore.

While it is known Wraithlords have memory of the past, do the wraithguard also possess this?
Are Wraithguards volunteers, well do thy have a choice. The craftworld will ask, but can they/will they refuse?
If a Wraithguard is destroyed, they could still be recovered in the stones and reconstituted in another construct right?
Can a wraithguard theoretically retire in some utpoia where the Eldar no longer need their services?
Can any eldar in the circuit be used? Would a simple guardian be strong willed enough, or would you need an aspect warrior?
Are Wraithguard spirits chosen or do they 'go fishing' in the infinity circuit.
This is one of those things where the information we have is incomplete, so bear in mind that whatever I say may not be 100% as canon - i.e. we just may not know for certain - but I like to think my fluff knowledge is enough, especially regarding Eldar, to fill in the bits we don't know realistically =)

1) Yes, a spirit stone is a spirit stone. Their grip on reality isn't as sharp as those Eldar still living, but they will still retain their memories - they may just be hazy.

2) I suppose technically they can refuse, but when the Craftworld goes to war those who can fight are obliged to. That's how Guardians exist. I don't think a Wraithguard would refuse.

3) Yep, so long as the stone isn't destroyed.

4) That's sort of where they are between wars, the spirit stone is in the Infinity Circuit - the gestalt consciousness of the Craftworld itself. It's less utopian and more of a dream state, but yes, eventually they will be left there. If I recall correctly, eventually a spirit stone will fuse with the Infinity Circuit and it's not possible to remove it.

5) A Guardian with enough experience of war, yes, that wouldn't be a problem. When you consider that the Wraithguard method of waging war is quite specific, I don't see why you'd need a Howling Banshee's spirit stone over a Guardian Defender's spirit stone.

6) They are chosen. I know there's fluff somewhere of a Spiritseer actively looking for a specific spirit.

Edit after ninja: The fluff CDK mentions is certainly possible, but in the case of several spirits volunteering I would imagine a Spiritseer will choose the one most suited.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2010, 15:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

All very helpful Cedhoradh and CelestialDragonKing

With 1 the codex almost seemed to make a distinction between wraithlords and guards

3) Are spirit stones easily damaged? Could I 'take a hammer' and break one?

With regards to 4, I meant more specifically that if an active wraithguard is no longer needed (which is somewhat ridiculous as the Eldar are kinda too far down the path as it were) could they be retired. From the sounds of the other answers it seems like a possibility. Trying to compare to humans, they fight knowing that someday they are no longer going to be soldiers, well in rarer cases in 40K I suppose.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 15:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

In the last editition of Codex: Eldar, there's an article under a S.C., I think her name is something like Iyanna Ariel. She's a special Warlock. Anyway she basically goes into the infinity circuit to retrieve a warrrior to serve in a wraith construct. This is probably the fluff piece you're referring to, Circus.

I would imagine a spirit stone is incredibly strong, as the Eldar have access to very powerful materials and an Eldar soul is the most valuable thing to them. I doubt you could take a hammer to it, but a daemon power-weapon might do it.

Also, I doubt they would use a guardian. There's probably enough aspect warrior souls to supply all of their wraithguard. I imagine even Iyanden doesn't have that many that they need to use Eldar militia to power their best fighting machines.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 16:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedhoradh
6) They are chosen. I know there's fluff somewhere of a Spiritseer actively looking for a specific spirit.
3rd ed. codex, Iyanna Yrianel deliberately chooses to ask a fire dragon exarch to fight.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2010, 16:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpspiderman
In the last editition of Codex: Eldar, there's an article under a S.C., I think her name is something like Iyanna Ariel. She's a special Warlock. Anyway she basically goes into the infinity circuit to retrieve a warrrior to serve in a wraith construct. This is probably the fluff piece you're referring to, Circus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaharrr!!! (TGS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedhoradh
3rd ed. codex, Iyanna Yrianel deliberately chooses to ask a fire dragon exarch to fight.
That's what I thought. I wasn't going to state for sure as I don't have the 3rd ed Codex here, but yeah. Cheers guys.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2010, 17:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I have a friend with some old codexes, I'll swing by and take a read through.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 17:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Actually I think its in the "Craftwords" supplament book but yes still 3rd ed. I have it at my house. when I get home from work I'll take a gander and try and clear it up.

For now though, If my memory serves me correctly it seemed to me when i read it that the spirits got together and they choose who answers the summoning of Iyanna Yrianel. In the story the firedragon exarch was again chosen (they mention his eagerness to continue fighting and that he's been picked before so she recognizes his spirit) but I don't recall her specifically calling for him, just that she recognized him from a previous summoning.

I'll confirm this later :funny:

-Farseer Maechu of Ulthwe
loeldrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2010, 18:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

It definitely is in the ordinary 3rd ed codex, I have it next to me. :P

She spills her blood on a specific spirit stone and senses the spirit of the exarch (Althenian) in the stone.

Because she has to do it on a specific one, I think it's clear that she chooses him.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote