Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Farseer and Warlock Unit: Do they count as a single unit?
Old 16 Apr 2010, 16:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default Farseer and Warlock Unit: Do they count as a single unit?

Hey there, need a bit more clarification. I had a dispute with a local GW manager about warlocks and the unit of farseers you can take with them. He seems to be under the impression that the Warlocks and the Farseer count as a single unit because the phrase in the codex "This unit and the Farseer are a single HQ choice" implies that they were meant to be a single unit. I disagree. It refers to the warlocks as a unit and never actually says that they 2 form a single unit nor does it say that the warlocks count as the farseers retinue. Both of which are phrases and terminology that were in use in 4th and 5th edition warhammer 40,000. It's not a huge deal because usually you'll leave the farseer with the warlocks anyway, however I'm pretty much 100% positive that I am correct and they are not a single unit because it doesn't say that they are ANYWHERE in the codex. It even actually refers to the farseer and the warlocks individually and refers to the warlocks as a unit without the farseer.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2010, 16:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Farseer and Warlock Unit: Do they count as a single unit?

My understanding is that they are bought as a retinue/bodyguard, thus allowing you to have:

HQ 1 -Farseer+warlocks and;
HQ 2 -Autarch/farseer(+warlock)/Avatar/Phoenix Lord.

So they count as 1 unit for slot assignment, but 2 units for kill point.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2010, 17:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

2 units for everything except force organisation (unless the farseer joins them).

This is the same as the old 'nid codex where you could get multiple lictors that acted independently for one elites choice.

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2010, 18:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well there goes 2 different answers entirely. Left Hand says that they count as a retinue where as yaharrr says they count as a seperate unit.

@Left Hand: You see the reason that I think that isn't the case is because it never uses the term retinue or bodyguard in the entry. Both of which are terms used in the codex that describe the HQ and a unit that is purchased with them when they become a single unit.

@Yaharrr: I completely agree with you. The manager of my local GW says that "It's implied" but an implication of a specific rule does not make the rule official. If the rule was meant to be specific then they would have used the specific terminology.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 18:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

What is the exact wording of the army list entry for Warlocks? Are they explicitly added to the Farseer's unit, or are they simply a new unit that may be taken?

Considering the unit size is 3-10 Warlocks (IIRC), I'm fairly certain they're a separate unit, taken for each Farseer in your army, that can operate independently if you wish.

[hr]

Edit: I read the dex myself.

The Warlocks are definitively a separate unit. You may take one Warlock unit for each Farseer in your army. The Warlock unit is 3-10 Warlocks. The Farseer does not have to join them - they are not a retinue, they are not one unit. The point of them both being a single HQ choice is simply so the Warlock unit doesn't take a slot, just like every other Command Squad/Honour Guard/etc. unit in pretty much every other codex.

TGS is correct. Dark Father (Boneguard) is also correct, you merely misunderstand him. His description of them being 'bought as a retinue' is simply referring to the fact they don't take a slot, rather than the literal rulebook interpretation of a Retinue, which really only exists in the Tau codex at this point.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2010, 18:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

That's what I thought... thanks dude. I mean, in the majority of cases this wont be an issue but there will be times when I wanna run a unit of 6 warlocks in a falcon and I dont wanna put the farseer in there.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 07:58   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I read it as choosing a farseer for your HQ 'unlocks' the option of a Warlock squad in the same HQ slot (but they are not a retinue - as the 'seer does NOT have to join them - and they form a separate unit for deployment, kill points, etc).

chromedog is offline   Reply With Quote