Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Wraithguard conversion
Old 15 Mar 2010, 01:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Wraithguard conversion

I want to make a squad of wraithguard, but they're about $19 at GW so I want to try converting some.Any ideas?
wraithseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2010, 21:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: Wraithguard conversion

Eeeeh.... this is a very tricky one that I'm surprised I don't have to field more often. No matter what you do there's going to have to be some sculpting involved. You could beef up Guardians to achieve the result with a lot of greenstuff and if you can get it to look good enough then you'd be saving a lot of money. You could even get away with just doing the heads and adding a tabard or something, then doing something with the guns - not necessarily as tricky as it sounds, if you can find the right kind of thing to replace the barrel with you won't even need to sculpt it.

Thing is, Wraithguard are very hard to make for any cheaper than you can get them from GW, unless you're a demon with green stuff or you're willing to bend the fluff pretty damn far (I've thought about representing them with converted Wood Elf Dryads, when you see the interior of some Eldar craftworlds in some depictions wraithbone has a very organic quality, before it's built into things like Wraithguard themselves - so it's not so far of a stretch, if you remove the face and give them an appropriate weapon.

It is very tricky, like I said. I'm not sure what more I can give you. Sorry aout that :-\
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2010, 21:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Wraithguard are fairly sizeable arent they? Could you not use terminators, lengthen the legs and arms and green stuff a head, and then neaten it up and smooth it out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2010, 21:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Wraithguard are fairly sizeable arent they? Could you not use terminators, lengthen the legs and arms and green stuff a head, and then neaten it up and smooth it out?
That'd be way too big.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 09:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wraithguard still fit on 25mm bases Jayne.

The termies would be far too wide but probably not much too tall.

By the way, how's Vera these days?

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2010, 15:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I guess you could, though. I'd be surprised if when they do plastic Wraithguard (which is probably only a matter of time, it's been rumoured for a while) they aren't on Terminator sized bases. Terminators used to be on 25mm bases themselves, after all.

You may call me Circus.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 22:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I guess they probably would.

For now, I think the dryad idea is the best though. It should look nice and different too. The only problem would be the wraithcannons.

Possibly spare starcannons green stuffed to blend into the dryad's arm?

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2010, 19:29   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thank you I believe I'm going o try wood elves dryads
wraithseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2010, 03:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Admittedly- for my eldar Army, I use a squad of Tau Stealth Suits as my wraithguard... :P (Only conversion being that I gave two of them Space Marine melee weapons- a lightning claw and sword to be exact... :P )

I had originally intended to use them as a kill team- but didn't like it. So I ended up starting to use them as Wraithguard- and it stuck.

My brother's armies
Space marines: 1500
Daemonhunters: 200- and staying there for a long time.
More Dakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 12:34   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

A guy named 'albinoork' over at DakkaDakka has created an exodite army with plenty of WHFB wood elf models: http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/al...Exodite%20army

I like the idea and it seems suitably fluffy, but I really dislike that spellsinger model. He annoys me for reasons I won't go into.