Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Howling Banshee Exarch: Mirror Swords or Executioner?
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer for your howling banshee Exarch the Mirro Swords or the Executioner?
Mirror Swords 8 22.86%
Executioner 27 77.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Mar 2010, 16:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default Howling Banshee Exarch: Mirror Swords or Executioner?

I just want to get an idea of what people use. I have a Banshee Exarch with Executioner currently and I have a spare left over from the second box of banshees. I was thinking about converting my spare Howling Banshee Exarch into a female Autarch but I didn't want to go through with the conversion if I was going to feel the need to swap out my Executioner Exarch with a Mirror Sword Exarch. I'm just trying to get a general consensus of what people do. Keeping in mind of course that I REALLY wanna convert that female Autarch. I dont know why but it kind of annoys me that there are no female commander models in the Eldar army. What's up with that?!
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2010, 17:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Howling Banshee Exarch: Mirror Swords or Executioner?

executioner as I allways cast doom on them when attacking someone and doom has more of an effect with more rolls and more fails
henbobbleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2010, 18:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have both, but I mostly use the mirror blade set up ran with a doom seer. Volume of attacks is great, but that extra strength from the executioner is wonderful for tougher models. I still go for quantity though.

That or you could just punch them in the face while you shout "I am the father of cubes! Fear the wrath of the cubefather!".
Taldaneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2010, 07:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Executioner for me. Simple reasons is it means they can charge tougher units and have a greater chance (Bikes you only need to roll a 4+ to wound rather than 6+) Whilst doom helps out a lot, I don't think it'd help enough with mirrorswords.
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2010, 18:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman

This wasn't even a contest for me. All I had to do was make sure that I clicked the right one. I'm just fairly surprised it got as many votes as it did. So yes, I voted before I read your comment.

Mirrorswords or not, any unit the Banshees charge that can be Doomed, better be Doomed if it's the first fight of the day (e.g. not on 3 remaining Gaunts or the like). Simply, I've fallen in love with the Executioner. Trade 2 extra attacks for something that can actually push the wound through? To wound on 2+ against Toughness 3, 3+ against Toughness 4, and the chance to actually do something against a weakened Monstrous Creature? To, in the weirdest rare situation, charge a light vehicle or transport and potentially do damage?

To me, the Executioner takes the wound that Howling Banshees can inflict on the enemy and opens it up wider.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2010, 18:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Just so you all know I went with the Executioner and I painted her up beautifully. She's my first fully painted and assembled Eldar model. I've gotten a lot of compliments on her too. If I had a camera that was worth anything I'd take a picture to show you all.

edit: :P I've never used the camera on my phone before and as it turns out the camera on my phone is absolutely amazing! Once I figure out how to insert a picture I'll show you all.

Old 19 Mar 2010, 18:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Just so you all know I went with the Executioner and I painted her up beautifully. She's my first fully painted and assembled Eldar model. I've gotten a lot of compliments on her too. If I had a camera that was worth anything I'd take a picture to show you all.

edit: :P I've never used the camera on my phone before and as it turns out the camera on my phone is absolutely amazing! Soooo here ya go?

:huh: ... I see a little page being tipped at top right-hand corner with a circle, triangle, and square, and the little paper appears torn. What kind of Howling Banshee model is this? ;D

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2010, 18:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Marksman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean

edit: :P I've never used the camera on my phone before and as it turns out the camera on my phone is absolutely amazing! Soooo here ya go?

:huh: ... I see a little page being tipped at top right-hand corner with a circle, triangle, and square, and the little paper appears torn. ;D
smart ass.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 19:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by The "Shakey" Of The Lambs
Executioner for me. Simple reasons is it means they can charge tougher units and have a greater chance (Bikes you only need to roll a 4+ to wound rather than 6+) Whilst doom helps out a lot, I don't think it'd help enough with mirrorswords.
MeQ being the best target, normally need 5's to wound, 1/3, 3's to wound gives 2/3 wit executioner.

The addition of doom increases mirrorswords ups wound/hit to .56 from .33, a 2/9 increase (22%).
The addition of doom to executioner ups wounds/hit to .88 from .66, a 1/9 (22%) increase.
Interesting math there, the marginal increase is identical

Doom in fact helps mirrorswords just as much as executioner on a per hit basis. Considering that mirrorswords also get more hits due to an extra two attacks doom's effect will be amplified. Exarch gets 2 A with executioner, 4A with mirrors, multiply the preceding chances by 2 to simulate double the hits means mirrorswords are actually benefiting more from doom than executioner. Charging attenuates the difference slightly.

In general though, I prefer more specialized units that are very good at doing one thing. I also like large sample sizes, as with each addition the statistical average becomes more and more real (average roll on a d12 is 7 (basically), average roll on 2d6 is 7, but you are going to get 7 FAR more often on 2d6 than d12, same kinda idea)
Old 25 Mar 2010, 20:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

A lot of chatter on the Executioner and Mirror Blades, but I was wondering... How many people take the Triskele at all?

That or you could just punch them in the face while you shout "I am the father of cubes! Fear the wrath of the cubefather!".
Taldaneth is offline   Reply With Quote