Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

"I need tips on fighting Eldar"
Old 02 Mar 2010, 21:35   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default "I need tips on fighting Eldar"

How do I keep Eldar at arm's length so I can shoot them more?

Dal'yth Sept, Karaz'an Sector, Blik'ros Kau'ui
TrooperPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2010, 22:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: "I need tips on fighting Eldar"

Here, I will assume you use your standard 4x6 table with 1500points army. But aside from that it's kind of a useless post because we have no clue of:

1) What do you play and what list do you play?
2) What kind of Eldar list do you face?

So how do you want us to really give you Grade-A advice?

We could tell you to keep mobile and to use cover, but it is pretty meaningless by itself since we don't know if your army can use those effectively.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2010, 22:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wow. What army do you play. Is it tau, guard, marines, or chaos. I'm gussing tau or guard which narrows my guessing. I'll assume you play guard since Tau is usally mobile.

If you play guard lots of chimeras and lrbt and don't put them in a line.
Old 02 Mar 2010, 23:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that you are having trouble with their transports (most commonly used to close quickly and keep squishy units alive) probably mostly wave serpents and Holo-Falcons... but they can be just as if not more effective as dakka platforms too...

Personally, I pretty much always see my Serpents go down to Missile Pod barrages (Str 7. Usually about 4-6 TL shots if you want a reference and don't play Tau)... Don't waste anything higher than Str 8 on it, and no Melta (Energy Field Spc. Rule) but mass quantities of medium strenth shots do wonders in my experience.
[me=Ellipsisman]nods at PNW[/me]

Falcons are a tougher bunch, but I find mine having problems surviving more than one AP1 Pen in a single shooting round. Maybe I just have terrible luck when it comes to unit survivability, but if I get hit even once I'm a tad worried, more than that and I've pretty much discounted it for slag already...

Gonna assume you're Tau becaues you want to shoot them more and Tau aren't as mobile as some people believe :shifty:. Also, Eldar can easily negate Tau's mediocre mobility. If that's true, Seeker missiles and markerlights might be effective. Markerlights especially because a common tactic with Eldar (moi included) is to move flat out for a 4+ cover and sometimes have a Farseer use Fortune on said vehicle if they're advancing. Fortune statistically gives slightly better than a 3+ save on a vehicle that is already decently durable, though not invincible by a long shot (see what I did there? :funny. If you can drop the coversave you increase chances of taking it down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2010, 14:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I checked his post history, Tau for sure, very nice Pulse Rifle replica...

I am guessing you current can't shoot them because they close distance quickly and assault. I mean the tanks might as well be point blank range, you can still shoot em all day.

Knowing that they are going to come to you allows your loadouts to be specialzed. Burst cannons might well be a better choice than SMS on your hammerheads etc. Your suits don't necessarily need long range weapons, fusions will work (except the waveserpent as said). The Eldar will try and focus on one thing at a time, so make them work for it, mechanize where possible to reduce assault threats, this also keeps you more mobile. If there are ANY slow Eldar elements try to not worry aout them until the fast are dealt with.

You will out-range him, but need to have enough mobility to maintain that range. Basically its a tough fight ,you are trying to outdo the Eldar at what they do best, but your shooting can be markedly better, remind them that of that. If possible deploy in a corner, or on a single side of the table, force a series of attacks, instead of one parallel one and he should be on the rocks.

Old 03 Mar 2010, 15:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Piranna with melta guns is great against wave serpents. When they turbo boost you turbo boost as well with the Piranna. Chances are they'll turbo again being in your face. When they do that turn you pirannas around facing the serpents rear armor. They'll have a choice of rear facing you Piranna's melta guns or your railguns. Take away the serpents cover saves and melta them in the back mwahaha. I suggest taking devilfish and not being static. I'll still take broadsides with some kroot for protection.

Watch out for almost any eldar troops. If you feilding a decent amount of armour than I'll go for the fire dragons and brightlances. Even with the great mobility of eldar. If your mobile since most of tau can move 12" a turn but isn't mobile. You can catch him deciding to stop advancing due to the fact his rear armour will be exposed.

Not saying put all your fire warriors in transports. But 2 pirannas, 2 devilfish, and 2 hammerheads would slow down the 3rd turn assault out of the serpent move. You'll force him to take out your mobility first than push his drop assaults to turn 4 or 5. Unless he's a moron and go for the 3rd turn assault anyway. But in eldars defense they can get in your deployment zone in turn two and but the rear of the vehicles facing you so you can't hit the rear. If they do that. Just jump I'm your devilfish and speed away as the banshees cry cause the firewarriors got away.
Old 03 Mar 2010, 20:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Pirhanas seem a little risky to me. Eldar have plenty of anti-light vehicle options. But I guess they might be a good way to keep up with the Eldar speed. I can't stress enough how much Deathrain teams are my downfall as a Mech Eldar player. Missile Pods are just about the perfect mix of Str, range, AP, and amount of shots to ruin my day. They can pop my tansports and instant kill pretty much all of my multi-wound models. On top of that they can pierce armor on most of my troops. I sic my Shining Spears on them right from Turn 1 though and they usually go down on Turn 2 or 3, so be a little defensive with them. Put stuff around them or try to swamp the rushing unit with Kroot.

I never take brightlances against Tau. The only armor worth it is AV 13 and that's only on the front of Skyrays and Hammerheads. In fact, I rarely take them against any army. Maybe against Smurfs if I know there's gonna be a LR.
That said:
Fire Dragons are a good way for Eldar to nuke your vehicles and instant kill your crisis, so drop their transport quickly and mow em down or your mushy fire warriors will be vulnerable to CC and shooting. And your Hammerheads will be piles of slag. Fewer things are more overkill against vehicles than Fire Dragons. If they shoot a vehicle, chances are very good it's dead. * don't discount Eldar shooting. Eldar can throw out a decent number of shots at medium to short range, and they have lots of ways get there fast. As you've discovered.

Oh, watch out for Eldritch storm on your Hammerheads, it spins them in a random direction often resulting in weak armor being presented to enemy AT. The upside is it'a only got an 18" range and fairly rare IIRC... not many people use it... okay, nvm, I can't say if your opponent will use it. :P
[hr]
Things like Outflanking Striking Scorpions and Veil of Tears Harlequins are harder, because you can't really shoot them before they're uncomfortably close. Harlies can be hellish, I've used them to devastate ~sized Tac Space Marines in CC. Scorpions have a 3+ armor save which makes them slightly more survivable than the average Eldar. And if you're in 12" of a board edge they have a piece of you immediately. If you need help with non-mounted untis you should let me know...

Vagueness... yay... can you give us a list of what you have trouble with? Specifics will let us know what holes you can leave because it's kinda hard to cover the wide range of things Eldar can throw at you at most point values.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2010, 20:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellipsisman
Vagueness... yay... can you give us a list of what you have trouble with? Specifics will let us know what holes you can leave because it's kinda hard to cover the wide range of things Eldar can throw at you at most point values.
4x8 fire warriors, with devilfish for 3 of the squads, 3 man deathrain squad, 3 man crisis plasma/??? squad, 2 man criss ??? squad, 1 Shas'o, 4 broadsides, two hammerheads. Roughly...oh 1500 points. Doesn't help though Eldar can pick what they want past 1000.
Old 03 Mar 2010, 20:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sau1us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellipsisman
4x8 fire warriors, with devilfish for 3 of the squads, 3 man deathrain squad, 3 man crisis plasma/??? squad, 2 man criss ??? squad, 1 Shas'o, 4 broadsides, two hammerheads. Roughly...oh 1500 points. Doesn't help though Eldar can pick what they want past 1000.
I guess you mean 3 broadsides and two hammerheads. Forgot eldar vehicles are 12 in the front. 6 missles at bs 5 will hopefully get 2 resaults.

I suggested piranna's cause it's a fast vehicle.