Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Thunderwolf Cavalry
Old 23 Feb 2010, 17:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior
Default Thunderwolf Cavalry

Warboss toughness, meq invulnerable save, terminator armor with nob wounds and a 19inch charge bubble.

Ive been looking all throughout the eldar codex and i cant find a sufficent counter to this unit without having to devote a very large component of my force to take them out.

What are some ways you guys have dealt with this unit and some strategies for facing it you might suggest?

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Rogue_FireWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2010, 17:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Thunderwolf Calvalry

Hi,

I would say:

Instant death them, at least Ap3 them to death, use fire dragons meltas and anything that removes armour. And hope for no storm shields .

If there is SS's then:

Just mass firepower them. Plenty of guardians with shriuken should kill them as no one can roll saves forever :P

Just my opinion.

- Will

EDIT: Insta death can not happen as it needs stre 10 and you are not IG or SM's with access to Stre 10 blasts :P

Also they can't have terminator armour.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 17:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

If they're toughness 5(4) like nob bikers then falcons with pulse laser and bright lance should be good for taking out a few of them. Similarly, if you've gone with fire prisms instead of falcons then a few of the strength 9 ap2 blast templates should be good for taking out some more of them. I'd also recommend hitting them with some fire dragons. Instant death all the way around. Just spam the hell out of strength 8 ap2/1 weapons, which the eldar seem to be able to take a decent number of. Even if they're toughnes 6(5), and I dont see why they would be, this would still be your best option.

The best thing about taking the falcons or the fire prisms is that you could kit them around the battlefield. They may have a 19" charge bubble but the Falcons or Fire Prisms can move 24" away in an emergency. Split them up to so that he'll only be able to chase one falcon or fire prism at a time. So in a given turn they'll have to traverse the entire board to get from one tank to the other, and that's only if they can ever catch one.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2010, 17:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've found most SW players are very aggressive with this unit. Bait them in, Doom them and open up with massed shots. Like Will said they will fail saves if you make them take enough of them.

Also (If you run your lists with JB seers) its not a bad idea to bog down whatever is left of the T Calv with your seers after a solid round of massed shots. Their witch blades make the toughness not much of a prob and they are tough enough to take some hits from a whittled down T calv unit.

-Farseer Maechu of Ulthwe
loeldrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2010, 17:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
If they're toughness 5(4) like nob bikers then falcons with pulse laser and bright lance should be good for taking out a few of them. .
They are just toughness 5.

Yes definatly doom them or fortune the squad shooting at them. This will increase the amount of saves further, the more the better.

- Will
Old 23 Feb 2010, 17:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Ork......zzzzzzzzzZZZZZZ
Warboss toughness, meq invulnerable save, terminator armor with nob wounds and a 19inch charge bubble.

Ive been looking all throughout the eldar codex and i cant find a sufficent counter to this unit without having to devote a very large component of my force to take them out.
If your opponent has been playing them with terminator armor he dun ben cheatin'. At best a Wolf Lord on a mount can get runic armor, but termi armor is not an option for TWC. But otherwise, you really kind of hit it on the head. No matter what army you're fielding really, TWC take a severely disproportionate amount of points from your side to kill (I'd call that the definition of cheese, but hey, the SW players tell me I'm wrong so I must be).

The couple times I've faced them it's been a mad scramble and combination of fusion guns, shuricats, and death spinners to take them down. I'd try to bank more on spamming S6 shots than anything else since we don't have a realiable means of IDing them, and to your point they can have a 3++ anyway. I've toyed with the idea of Dark Reapers (since I think they could also have some utility against the new T6 3+ save TMCs), but haven't gotten to try it.

Edit: Dirty trick #1! Hide on the upper levels of ruined buildings, as cavalry they're stuck on the ground floor!
I can't believe games workshop are really that unorganised. The DE codex looks like it was made back in 1970 and yet they're more worried about making sure the space marines are walking around in diamond coated power armour and shooting tyranids with sequin covered bolters
Deris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2010, 18:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

My friend takes a pair of them with the 2+ save armour thingy (not termie armour), 1 with storm shield and thunder hammer, the other with storm shield and wolf claws... :P

scar
Old 23 Feb 2010, 18:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Face
My friend takes a pair of them with the 2+ save armour thingy (not termie armour), 1 with storm shield and thunder hammer, the other with storm shield and wolf claws... :P

scar
Normal TWC cant have 2+ saves.

Will
Old 23 Feb 2010, 19:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior

My usually runs them all with storm shields much to my dismay although its reassuring that they all cant have the runic armor. He was taking them with that to but now i can call him out on that.

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Rogue_FireWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2010, 19:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Ork......zzzzzzzzzZZZZZZ
My usually runs them all with storm shields much to my dismay although its reassuring that they all cant have the runic armor. He was taking them with that to but now i can call him out on that.
If he runs them all with SS then the best way to kill them is to make him roll plenty of saves and not worry about negating his armour, as they will both be the same.

- Will