Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Defend
Old 18 Feb 2010, 17:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman
Default Defend

Hey everybody, at a recent tournament I went up against another Eldar player. He claimed that his Dire Avenger's defend ability, 'attackers get -1 attack each assault phase' was taken as cumulative. I charged him with Harlies and didn't finish him in the first phase, and after a turn I was down to 1 attack on my normals, 2 with my troupe master.

This has to be a misunderstanding on his part, there's no way this ability is this good. I take '-1 each assault phase' as a constant -1, not adding up. Who's right?
Old 18 Feb 2010, 17:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Defend

It doesn't say it's a cumulative penalty. I would assume his logic is that "each round" implies every round a new penalty applies-- which is well and dandy except it doesn't imply the old penalty still applies! He's just really stretching the wording of the rule for a serious advantage, in that situation I'd grab a judge and get a ruling.
I can't believe games workshop are really that unorganised. The DE codex looks like it was made back in 1970 and yet they're more worried about making sure the space marines are walking around in diamond coated power armour and shooting tyranids with sequin covered bolters
Deris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2010, 17:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

I've always read it to be how he uses it.

The Exarch is getting more and more accustomed to how this enemy fights and is making most of their attacks useless, so it makes sense to me that it is cumulative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2010, 17:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Wow I can't believe anyone would abuse that rule in that manner. I mean most of the time it doesn't matter, but wow.

While we're at it why not just assume that bladestorm, enhance, and other are cumulative, It doesn't say they aren't!

Old 18 Feb 2010, 21:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sau1us
Wow I can't believe anyone would abuse that rule in that manner. I mean most of the time it doesn't matter, but wow.

While we're at it why not just assume that bladestorm, enhance, and other are cumulative, It doesn't say they aren't!

Yeah, that's what I figured, but it is easier to take it the wrong way than the other powers.
Old 18 Feb 2010, 21:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

It's a massive abuse of the rule to claim it's cumulative. You get -1 Attack, end of.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2010, 22:11   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Yeah again I don't see how anyone could assume it's cumulative, that's insanely powerful - especially in big combats.
Old 18 Feb 2010, 23:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Look all I am trying to do is get it straight but, it says:

page 30
Defend: "Enemy models directing their attacks towards the Exarch's squad lose one attack in each assault phase (to a minimum of 1)."

The "each assault phase" part tells me that every assault phase the enemy unit attacks that Dire Avenger squad, they get -1 attack. So if a model with two close combat weapons charged the dire avengers, the enemy would only get 2 attacks. If they are still locked in combat, now the enemy only has one attack and it says that way until they break free of the combat.

It is nothing "cheesy" or sneaky. I mean...it says it right there. Prove me wrong but I see it being pretty clear.
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2010, 23:17   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Hmm after seeing the wording I don't feel as confident about it, especially as my main reservation was that it would render opponents helpless but this declares that it is to a minimum of one. Could go either way, but yeah as it says 'each assault phase' I'm inclined to agree with you now.
Old 19 Feb 2010, 02:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian
Look all I am trying to do is get it straight but, it says:

page 30
Defend: "Enemy models directing their attacks towards the Exarch's squad lose one attack in each assault phase (to a minimum of 1)."
I think this is clear. Every assault phase you work out the number of attacks then subtract One.

The number of attacks in any given combat has nothing to do with previous attack phase.

Now, if I was to speculate about why they emphasised the "every assault phase", my guess is that it ensures players know it isn't a one off advantage (eg it doesn't just negate the charge bonus).
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote