Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

So I was thinking about warlocks...
Old 31 Jan 2010, 20:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default So I was thinking about warlocks...

Does anyone know or have experience with warlock bodyguards to a farseer? Are they a sound choice to put them on foot or is the only way to field warlocks is on jetbikes? I do like how they are like a personal bodyguard unit to the farseer and I think it will greatly protect my farseer with the occasional help of fortune.

I will most likely be running a farseer with 3 warlock bodyguards with a howling banshee unit in a wave serpent to give you a idea to what I will be doing. I figure, with the help of doom and fortune, that the warlocks in combination with the farseer will put more wounds on the unit that they are attacking and make the banshee squad more survivable(grammar?).

Any help or experience about the warlocks would be appreciated.
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2010, 21:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: So I was thinking about warlocks...

I believe they are cute for a unit you expect to hit hard and die hard, but they are just too pointsy to be the central key unit in an army. Moreso if they are jetbikes I prefer not to pay 60 points per wound thanks. I think they are good and hard hitty, and well worth their points if used well, but they can't really hang in a 1500+ range when there's hundreds of models on the board and every die has a one on it.

Math equation for ultra-elite type units: is it worth the same as the six dice required to average a failed save that kills it?
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2010, 04:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

Fortuned warlock council on jetbikes is damn near impossible to kill. Give them all destructor, one enhance and one embolden and it is a unit to fear. The only ways I can think of beating it are throwing distractions at it or plain avoiding it. (Or unloading your entire army's firepower on it point blank) I've gone up against a guy's twice. Once I doomed him and did the last suggestion (took a loooot of firepower and I didn't even kill the farseer) and the other I fortuned the avatar and kept them locked in CC the entire game. They have it all: speed, strength, durability. You pay for it though.

Putting them in a Wave Serpent is your other option. Fairly maneuverable, not as pricey, but you also don't get the 3+ save or assault move. Quite a bit cheaper, but significantly less feared. The warlock council would be unnecessary if you put the fortune/doom seer with the banshees. If that is even legal. Give the exarch an executioner and save the points you'd spend on the warlocks. I don't think you can have the warlocks join the farseer AND howling banshees, anyway.

Good luck!
Old 01 Feb 2010, 20:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpspiderman
The warlock council would be unnecessary if you put the fortune/doom seer with the banshees. If that is even legal. Give the exarch an executioner and save the points you'd spend on the warlocks. I don't think you can have the warlocks join the farseer AND howling banshees, anyway.
Warp is right, you can't have a Farseer with his attached squad in a wave with another squad. However, a doomseer with banshees can be deadly. Rerolling those 5+ hits vs. marines can double the deaths you inflict.

Cheers!
-RS

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
ShadowCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2010, 20:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Also to note they aren't a retinue they are a separate HQ choice that shares the FOC slot with the Farseer they were taken with. Just so there is no confusion there. Also even if they were a retinue they still wouldn't be able to share a transport with another unit, only IC's cant join a unit to "share" a transport.

-Farseer Maechu of Ulthwe
loeldrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2010, 21:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Warp is right, you can't have a Farseer with his attached squad in a wave with another squad.
Haha oooopppsss forgot about that. See this is why you guys are here.

I understand using warlocks on a jetbike is the best way to go but I just don't care for jetbikes. Perhaps in a future army I will field a footslogging farseer and warlock squad in addition to another farseer spearheading my main force.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 04:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

Or you can do Eldrad and the Avatar. They're best buds, and can destroy entire armies together. They're my weapon of choice. And still much cheaper than the seer council. :P
Old 02 Feb 2010, 04:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

yeah I don't run any special characters and/or the avatar. The rules for the avatar is...well...not avatary enough for me taste.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 17:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

From what I understand Warpspiderman has it pretty spot on. Fortuned jetbike warlocks are tough to deal with. Flying aruond geting a 4+ re-rollable invulnerable save or a re-rollable 3+ cover save if you've turbo boosted. Flying around everywhere and casting psychic powers. Give them all singing spears and you can kiss any of your vehicles good bye.

I dont have much experience with the council on jetbikes. I've actually only got experience with Eldrad and his warlock council on foot. I actually killed the entire unit during the course of an entire game, but Eldrad remained unharmed.

I'm actually going to be starting Eldar soon. I hear this unit is super powerful so I'm not going to be running it. It seems a little unfriendly. Also, I dont want to convert that many warlocks on Jetbike.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2010, 22:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to TigStripe

Of course, the ultimate HQ choice, in my opinion, is a combined squad that was posted not too long ago, consisting of Eldrad, Yriel, and several Warlocks. You'd probably want 1 Enhance (2 if you're not feeling lucky), 1 Embolden, and as many Destructors as are left, and most of them with Singing Spears.

Run them around in a Wave Serpent (that would allow a massive, 10-man Warlock squadron, yeesh), using Eldrad to support the army until it's go time. Pop them out of the Serpent with Fortune so they're not squished, and assault with them, using Yriel to branch off as a deterrent for big nasties or swarm squads. He's one of the best tarpits in the game of 40k, mainly because he can hit back. Hard.

I think this is a very valid combination, and I give props to the progenitor of the squadron. It's extremely expensive to run, though, so I'd probably save it for 2250+ point games.
It's a Small World After All.
TigStripe is offline   Reply With Quote