Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fluff Question: The God of the Dead
Old 17 Jan 2010, 14:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Yummifoamycoffee
Default Fluff Question: The God of the Dead

So, I'm building my current Craftworld (I've dropped the Exodite idea for now) around a viking-based Craftworld worshipping Ynnead, and I'm curious as how to worship works in craftworlds. I know they have deities, but they're all dead except for Khaine, IIRC. And since Ynnead does not yet exist, can they/do they worship him/her/it?

Yummifoamycoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2010, 23:35   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Fluff Question: The God of the Dead

I think the eldar dont worship their gods, so much as remember them.

Also, the Eldar don't even know if Ynnead will ever exist, as the only evidence of him they have comes from farseers looking into the very, very distant future.

So I suppose you could have them hoping that Ynnead will be born when all the eldar die, so he can kill Slannesh.
7/2/2

"my ridiculously circuitous plan is one quarter complete!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
From a painting point of view, the eldar are great, they have so many colours and patterns, hence their battle cry "TASTE THE RAINBOW!!"
i r cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2010, 00:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well Khaine exists in the form of Avatars yes, however there are other Eldar gods that still exist. Cegorach, the laughing god of the harlequins evaded Slaanesh and is still at large. It's also rumored that the goddess Isha is still alive. The rumor is that she was taken from Slaanesh by Nurgle to be his companion against her will. Nurgle keeps her in a cage in the garden of Nurgle, testing his new diseases on her before he releases them on the universe.

As for Ynnead there is a story with Eldrad in the old "Craftworld Eldar" supplement book on page 17. In it Eldrad opens his mind to the infinity Circut and senses the always growing dormant presence of Ynnead. The belief in Ynnead awakening and defeating Slaanesh in battle is described in the story as an ancient prophecy and the last hope of the Eldar.

Now this is kind of just my opinion based on what I have read on Ynnead but it seems to me that he grows in power with worshipers similar to other gods. However where he differs from others is that in my opinion it appears his only "worshippers" can be those of the dead Eldar spirits that are kept intact within the infinity circuit. To me that would be a logical explanation as to how he grows in power from more and more dead being added to the infinity circuit.

Now what do you mean exactly by a viking based Craftworld and how does the viking theme fit into worshiping Ynnead? I think a custom Craftworld that specifically worships Ynnead would have more of a Wraithguard/Wraithlord/Farseer theme, like Iyanden.

Now keep in mind there are definatly other people on this forum thats fluff knowledge greatly surpasses mine and can definatly expand on this however this is what I have come across with some opinions thrown in. Good luck on the custom craftworld! I'm working on a custom craftworld myself.

-Farseer Maechu of Ulthwe
loeldrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2010, 20:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, as Vikings fight to die, and be taken to Valhalla, my Craftworld (guess it's name) fights to speed up the process of awakening Ynnead. They basically always fight the losing battle, and sacrifice themselves for other causes, such as rescuing a group of trapped Eldar, or covering there escape without hope of winning. I am also going to implement cults as to how Ynnead will appear. Mighty Man-God, or giant Wolf?

and now: did you guess right?
[spoiler]You guessed wrong. It's Craftworld Ynneadi[/spoiler]

Old 18 Jan 2010, 22:52   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Sounds cool, although the fighting to lose sounds a bit impractical. Especially since it will probably be a fairly minor craftworld, and will not have very many eldar in the first place.

Might I suggest that you simply worship Ynnead? Because as it is, the eldar are doomed as a race to extinction. Speeding up the process by letting about 100 000 eldar die is not going to make him appear that much faster. It will also make your craftworld more fluffy in how it works.
7/2/2

"my ridiculously circuitous plan is one quarter complete!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
From a painting point of view, the eldar are great, they have so many colours and patterns, hence their battle cry "TASTE THE RAINBOW!!"
i r cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2010, 04:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Aye, cone head is right. According to fluff the only way for Ynnead to become a full fledged god is for all of the Eldar to die, for at the moment he/she is nothing but a "Heartbeat in the warp." In addition, Eldar are far too concerned with their own well being to sacrifice their lives, self preservation ftw.

Cheers!
-RS

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
ShadowCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2010, 04:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Quote:
and now: did you guess right?
Nope, I went for the Jack O'Neill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2010, 07:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Now my question is does he grow in power when they just die or do they have to be put in the infinity circuit and not have their souls get eaten up by Slaanesh?

-Farseer Maechu of Ulthwe
loeldrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2010, 21:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Since he is growing in the Infinity Circuit it is logical to assume that he grows when Eldar souls are placed in the Infinity Circuit.

Old 21 Jan 2010, 22:02   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

The Eldar seem to have shrines, so for inspiration I would look a little into how Shinto works regarding worship. As a religion it isn't really based on sermons or "group praise". You just have sacred places that individuals visit when they feel the need to. And these places are maintained in memory of whoever or whatever they were built to honor. And there would likely be some level of ritual and ceremony associated with their upkeep. This is certainly how it works with the Aspect shrines.

There is nothing set in stone about Ynnead, though. It isn't clear what it would really take to wake him up, or what would happen if he did.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote