Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A very 'Different' idea
Old 13 Jan 2010, 13:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default A very 'Different' idea

Games I play with other players often get interesting as we have more units than are good for us. Therefore we try and switch up army composition on the fly. Last time my normally suit heavy Tau went total Mech at the same time when I was going to try Pathfinders (Eldar ones) against them. Turns out pathfinders aren't very AT...

In any case, the Tyranid Tactics Shakey was talking about mentioned D-Cannons. Now I have never fielded them, and I initially thought that yes they were powerful but lack of range may stifle their effectiveness. I did this as I glanced at my Guardians, 12 strong that ride the Serpent WITH a support weapon, ot counting towards passenger count. SO!

My Falcon is going to pack up a Weapon battery of D-cannons, 2 crew per weapon clocks in at 6! Ok, logistics aside, I am wondering COULD this happen? I am doing this mainly again to experiment with odd-ball tactics the enemy has not thought of, constantly experimenting....
Old 13 Jan 2010, 15:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: A very 'Different' idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sau1us
My Falcon is going to pack up a Weapon battery of D-cannons, 2 crew per weapon clocks in at 6! Ok, logistics aside, I am wondering COULD this happen? I am doing this mainly again to experiment with odd-ball tactics the enemy has not thought of, constantly experimenting....
The Guardian Heavy Weapon Platform rule specifically allows the weapon platform to not take up any space in a transport. A Support Weapon squad on the other hand, is an artillery unit, consisting of both infantry and vehicle models. As per the transport rules on pg. 66 however, "a transport may carry a single infantry unit." So that's a no go on stuffing the D-cannons in a Falcon. Even if you could, they're heavy weapons and would have to sit a turn after disembarking before they could fire--not a great idea with guardian paper armor and AV10 vehicles that are destroyed by a single glance.
I can't believe games workshop are really that unorganised. The DE codex looks like it was made back in 1970 and yet they're more worried about making sure the space marines are walking around in diamond coated power armour and shooting tyranids with sequin covered bolters
Deris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2010, 16:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

AV 10 killed by a single glance?! OK guardians are delightfully fragile, but my Falcon (with AV12 mostly) with holofields has yet to be destroyed in appox. 10 games (same goes for Fire Prism, but my waveserpent twice though ).

One turn for positioning would be alright, especially if they hid inside protected from first turn fire (if enemy was going first). Oh well.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 02:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sau1us
AV 10 killed by a single glance?! OK guardians are delightfully fragile, but my Falcon (with AV12 mostly) with holofields has yet to be destroyed in appox. 10 games (same goes for Fire Prism, but my waveserpent twice though ).

One turn for positioning would be alright, especially if they hid inside protected from first turn fire (if enemy was going first). Oh well.
Just for clarity's sake, I was talking about the D-cannons, not the Falcon. Artillery pieces (in this case, the D-cannons themselves) count as vehicles with AV10 all around, and are destroyed by the first successful penetrating or glancing hit they suffer. And ( assuming artillery could go in transports) if you kept them in the Falcon for the first turn, they'd count as moving when they disembarked in the second turn, and would have to wait till the third turn to fire.
I can't believe games workshop are really that unorganised. The DE codex looks like it was made back in 1970 and yet they're more worried about making sure the space marines are walking around in diamond coated power armour and shooting tyranids with sequin covered bolters
Deris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2010, 05:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

What? Support Weapons have a unit statline, not an armor value. Its a big gun (or three) with any where between 2-6 wounds depending. (one for each crew member obviously.) Where are you getting this AV 10 from?

That or you could just punch them in the face while you shout "I am the father of cubes! Fear the wrath of the cubefather!".
Taldaneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2010, 05:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

The unit statline is for the crew. All artillery pieces have the same rules unless noted in the codex. The rules for destroying the cannon instead of the crew are on page 55 of AoBR rulebook, under the heading THE UNIT near the top of the page. It's a little buried in the paragraph so it's not surprising people sometimes overlook it.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2010, 05:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah i think they count as av 10 all around open topped and theres a good chance when firing on the unit that you hit the gun instead. Don't quote me though since i haven't actually used a Heavy Weapon platform in quite some time.

-Farseer Maechu of Ulthwe
loeldrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2010, 09:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well that is rather confusing. So when some one shoots the support weapon squad....How do you decide whether they are shooting the crew or the guns? How are wounds decided? This now baffles me.

Edit: I know you told me where I could look it up, but my local group here has about three community rulebooks that float between about eleven of us. I am not usually in possession of one of them either, so if it isn't too much trouble can you enlighten me?

That or you could just punch them in the face while you shout "I am the father of cubes! Fear the wrath of the cubefather!".
Old 14 Jan 2010, 11:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taldaneth
Well that is rather confusing. So when some one shoots the support weapon squad....How do you decide whether they are shooting the crew or the guns? How are wounds decided? This now baffles me.

Edit: I know you told me where I could look it up, but my local group here has about three community rulebooks that float between about eleven of us. I am not usually in possession of one of them either, so if it isn't too much trouble can you enlighten me?
Can't really. You are asking for specific rules and we cannot give them to you without breaching copyright. However Guitardian gave you the exact reference in the rulebook, you will have to look it up.

Also depending on how avid a player you are you might want to invest in a rulebook. eBay could be your firend to get a cheaper second hand copy.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2010, 13:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Oh, okay, well don't want to breach copyright, I know how messy that can be. I'll just give my buddy a ring and ask him about it.

I might go the eBay route, but I don't really feel like buying that overpriced tome or buying that battle set for the mini version. I wish they sold the minibook separately.