Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Heavy Weapon Team Noob Question
Old 11 Jan 2010, 06:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Heavy Weapon Team Noob Question

Does every Guardian squad really NEED to have a weapon platform?

If so I gotta say that just annoys me a little. I'd rather just have weapon platform squadrons instead of forcing the weapon batteries to follow my Guardians.

Master of
The Decimator Host
WRappiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2010, 08:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Heavy Weapon Team Noob Question

Rules say they do. Each guardian squad has to take one, and honestly it makes them semi-decent. Keep them back adding 24-48 inch range fire support. EMLS, Scatter Lasers and Shuriken cannons are your best bets, just for either sheer number of shots or versatility.
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2010, 01:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRappiii

If so I gotta say that just annoys me a little. I'd rather just have weapon platform squadrons instead of forcing the weapon batteries to follow my Guardians.
Just to be sure we are on the same page here. Eldar "Support Weapon Platforms" are not needed to be included in your guardian squads. However, guardians do need to include the weapon platform that is allowed for in you unit costing.

The latter does not impact your movement, nor does it impact your LOS or target footprint (since the weapon platform is a marker only).

I.e. I cant see any reason why the extra "big gun" would annoy you
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2010, 05:27   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius
Quote:

Just to be sure we are on the same page here. Eldar "Support Weapon Platforms" are not needed to be included in your guardian squads. However, guardians do need to include the weapon platform that is allowed for in you unit costing.

The latter does not impact your movement, nor does it impact your LOS or target footprint (since the weapon platform is a marker only).

I.e. I cant see any reason why the extra "big gun" would annoy you
you ever notice how the tactical squad with the missile launcher gets shot at more often than the one without one?

I know our armies have had their little differences in the past, but lets put this all behind us... JOIN US OR I'LL SHOVE A RAILGUN DOWN YOUR THROAT!!!- water caste negotiator in action.
partybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2010, 02:39   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well the reason it would be annoying is because Guardians have 12" range while weapon platforms have various longer ranges. So I would like to have the Guardians up close firing all their weapons at targets that might be affected by their weapons, while leaving the weapon platform to sit at safer range and fire on targets that it is specifically designed to be good against.

So does the required weapons team NEED to be attached to the unit or can they simply be a seperate unit?
My guess would be that they must be attached, but I hope not...

One extra noobish question: Do Heavy weapons require the firer to be stationary if that weapon is mounted on a weapon platform?

Master of
The Decimator Host
WRappiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2010, 03:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes they NEED to be attached I am afraid.

The hover base makes the heavy weapon count as an assault weapon. (Edit: Please note this only counts for the small weapon platform, the D-Cannon, Shadow Weaver, and Vibrocannon still count as a heavy weapon regardless of their hover platform.)

That or you could just punch them in the face while you shout "I am the father of cubes! Fear the wrath of the cubefather!".
Taldaneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2010, 07:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to TigStripe

And one other thing to note is that, unlike the Heavy Support choices we have (D-Cannon, Vibrocannon, and Shadoweaver), the Guardian Heavy Support Platform isn't counted as an artillery - you would remove the crewmen from the squad like you would a normal Guardian (because let's face it, they are just normal Guardians).

If you're really just dead-set against a Heavy Weapons Platform, you can always take Storm Guardians - they don't have the platform, and you can give up to two of them better weapons than their Shuripistols. Downside is that their ranged capacity is lessened (pistols no longer double-tap). Upside is that they have an extra attack in melee, making them better (a relative adjective in this case) tarpit against incoming units.
It's a Small World After All.
TigStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2010, 15:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Well the reason it would be annoying is because Guardians have 12" range while weapon platforms have various longer ranges. So I would like to have the Guardians up close firing all their weapons at targets that might be affected by their weapons, while leaving the weapon platform to sit at safer range and fire on targets that it is specifically designed to be good against.
If you have your Guardians within range to fire their shuricats, chances are they're already dead. Guardians are not line-breaking forward assault units, and they're highly overpriced for their effectiveness. In an average round of shooting, Guardian's shuricats will kill a marine, maybe two if you're lucky. They'll kill 4 or 5 guardsmen (assuming they're not in cover, which is a big if), and make back maybe 1/4 of their points in the process. They're also likely to get shot to holy hell and back in the following turn, and if not be wiped out, be rendered largely ineffective from casualties.

Quote:
One extra noobish question: Do Heavy weapons require the firer to be stationary if that weapon is mounted on a weapon platform?
Normally a heavy weapon requires you to be stationary, yes. The Guardian Heavy Weapon Platform however makes the weapon Assault, so not only can you move and shoot you could still assault if you wanted (god help you.)
I can't believe games workshop are really that unorganised. The DE codex looks like it was made back in 1970 and yet they're more worried about making sure the space marines are walking around in diamond coated power armour and shooting tyranids with sequin covered bolters
Deris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2010, 17:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to TigStripe

Heh, sometimes Guardian Defenders are a last-resort trap to hold up a line, so the Assault heavy weapons ARE valid for assaul-tan.

In all honesty, though, Guardian Defenders are there for cover saves on other models and to snipe things.

One interesting thing to note about the heavy weapons platform is that it draws line of sight from a crewman, not its model - this means you can stick 9/10 Guardians behind other, tougher things (like Wraithguard, for example), with one crewman out in front with the heavy weapon - firing from this crewman's perspective, its target doesn't treat the Wraithguard as a cover provider, only considering normal sources between the firing crewman and the intended target.
It's a Small World After All.
TigStripe is offline   Reply With Quote