Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Let's Play a Game...
Old 05 Jan 2010, 05:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to TigStripe
Default Let's Play a Game...

I discovered an old post while looking for an answer to a question earlier today, and it kind of brought me down a little bit. It was talking about how Eldar have lost their originality as 40k progresses through its editions, by game balancing and such. So, I'd like to take this opportunity to propose a game to us here on the Craftworld Eldar board.

The point of this thread is to realize that Eldar still have what it takes to be competitive. The goal of this thread is to possibly point out things that other people may not have realized just by glancing through (heck, I almost always realize something new every time I read through my codex).

What we'll do is list one tabletop action or codex rule from another army, and then one way the Eldar can match or beat said tactic/rule. It can be specific models, special rules, tactics, whatever. And if you figure out another way to match/beat one that's already here, list it, too! We'll be a community of insight and support by helping each other figure things out that they may not (or even have forgotten) have known.

So I'll start.

Dark Eldar armies mostly run in Raiders, Hellion Skyboards, and Reaver Jetbikes, allowing anywhere from 12" - 24" of movement a turn for the entire army.

The Craftworld Eldar may upgrade their vehicles with Star Engines, allowing up to 36" of movement in one turn.
It's a Small World After All.
TigStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2010, 05:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to uriel
Default Re: Let's Play a Game...

Well Eldar either sacrifice alot for a such advantage were as alot of other armies either have a variant that is equal or if not better example would be waveserpents v.s. valkyrie. I guess what upsets me the most are the guard and space wolf codexs and possible tyranids where they take one advantage guard for example has ordance plus heavy weapons every where and now have that plus are mechanized along with a crap ton of main battle tanks and infantry and yes i do play guard too but Its really hard to say we do something unique other than have less models than space marines. Back on topic example of what you are wanting tau has strength 5 weapons we can spam strenght 6 weapons!

uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2010, 06:52   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

well I'm just starting to collect and play so yes i admit I'm a noob but the Eldar have not lost anything. They are as unique as they always were. I mean can you name another psychic arrogant race that has different factions spread thin across the galaxy, possibly the universe, which use as an ultimate weapon a creature so powerful it can only be described as an "incarnate of a god" made of molten iron. That's right the avatar aboard every craftworld. So ya they maybe second popular, maybe even third, to the great "space marines" but those guys are about as unique and elegant as a rock in mud. Sorry to dis, but i am a noob! and proud of it!
Sky_Breather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2010, 09:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

There really hasn't been much activity in the Eldar boards as of late and I admire your positive attitude so I'll play along! Hhmmmm...

The Grey knights of the Ordos Malleus use Psychic Prayers to grant them Shrouding (roll to spot the targeted unit, if the unit is out of spotting distance they cannot be fired upon). The range on this is 3d6 times 3 (9"-54") with "Barrage Weapons" (or Guess weapons depending on codex) not needing to roll to spot, just doubling scatter distance, and night Fighting conditions override this ability. Also a unit that contains a Psyker that is targeting the Grey knights gets to re roll their spot check.

Our lovely Harlequins with a Shadowseer upgrade gain the benefit of the Psychic spell "Veil of Tears" (roll to spot the targeted unit, if the unit is out of spotting distance they cannot be fired upon). Our range is much shorter at 2d6 times 2 (4"-24"), Barrage weapons must still roll to spot us and cannot fire if they fail too (unlike "Shrouding"), and the Night fighting rules being in affect does not override our "Veil of Tears", our opponents must roll for both before firing upon us. Oh I almost forgot, Enemy psykers being a part of a unit targeting Veiled Harleqins does NOT grant a re roll, unlike "Shrouding"

An additional perk to "Veil of Tears" over "Shrouding" is that it is cast by the Shadowseer (works like warlock Powers so no need to roll) upon the entire unit, unlike "Shrouding" which is a special rule that the Grey Knight models each individually have. Therefore we may give Independent Characters the benefit of "Veil of Tears" by having them join the unit of Harlequins with the Shadowseer upgrade which makes one unit! Any player can see the benefit of this (Eldrad is casting away without fear of being shot, Maugan Ra can shoot you with his nasty gun however you can't shoot back what you cannot see!)

-Farseer Maechu of Ulthwe
loeldrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2010, 16:24   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Breather
well I'm just starting to collect and play so yes i admit I'm a noob but the Eldar have not lost anything. They are as unique as they always were. I mean can you name another psychic arrogant race that has different factions spread thin across the galaxy, possibly the universe, which use as an ultimate weapon a creature so powerful it can only be described as an "incarnate of a god" made of molten iron. That's right the avatar aboard every craftworld. So ya they maybe second popular, maybe even third, to the great "space marines" but those guys are about as unique and elegant as a rock in mud. Sorry to dis, but i am a noob! and proud of it!
What other race is lead by a God? I vaguely remember something about a "Fightwringer" or a "Meceiver"...
Wait, that's not it...
Prophecy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2010, 18:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I really can't think of anything but the obvious...

edit... sorry I got carried away and forgot the part about list ONE thing... my bad...

Hawks trump hard-to-hit skimmers. Hawks can also play the yo-yo or 'rubber band' trick with skyleap making a unit that is impossible to ever target and just contest an objective in endgame. Nice cheap trick and no other army can do that.

Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2010, 01:58   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

so we're all agreed that the eldar are a unique race of the galaxy, very deadly, and quite confusing at times

this post is in the guardian platform thread and it was supposed to be in here haha
Old 06 Jan 2010, 03:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to TigStripe

D'aw, Guitardian, that's not how the game is played! You have to prove your idea is better than something else another army does! :3

I liked the shrouding example - I'd not realized that Night Fighting AND Veil had to be rolled! Double-whammy.
It's a Small World After All.
TigStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2010, 03:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

Imperial guard need to take veteran squads to field multiple special weapons. SM cannot have more than one special weapon or heavy weapon. Orks can have a good gun for every ten of them. Eldar can get a squad of meltaguns, a squad of strength 6 rapid-fires, a squad of all power weapons, etc, for reasonable prices and with great skills. and fleet. Boo ya!
Old 11 Jan 2010, 04:27   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

hell ya man! haha and as to the rules, even games workshop says they're guidelines, not actual rules haha