Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Guardian Platforms
Old 05 Jan 2010, 04:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to TigStripe
Default Guardian Platforms

Yo, all, quick question - I've looked back through the archives and I haven't been able to find this specific question's answer:

If a guardian defender squad is forced to pile in (such as "Defenders React!"), is the heavy weapons platform left where it is until they can consolidate out of close combat, or is it brought into the melee as a marker with no attacks?

The codex clearly states that the heavy weapons platform must remain in coherency (i.e. 2 inches) with at least one of the crew members at all times. But it also says that the model is not counted in any other situation (drawing line of sight to shoot with/at, etc). I'm just wondering if you're supposed to tug it along into melee or leave it where it is in the high hopes that enough Guardians survive the combat in order for a crew member to return to it.
It's a Small World After All.
TigStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2010, 05:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Guardian Platforms

I think that may be looking to seriously into it. "It is essentially a marker; assume the gun is actually carried by the crew member that is firing it." What that line says to me is it doesn't need to follow normal movement rules since it is just a marker and not infantry or an artillery piece or jump infantry or whatever. Them stating "must maintain coherency" I think is just for appearances sake, in the sense that they want the platform to stay with the unit and they want it near a gunner so it makes sense for that particular model to be firing whatever heavy weapon it is you choose for the squad.

For example, If you have it in coherency with gunner#1 but not with gunner#2 and gunner#1 dies, just move the platform so its within 2" of gunner#2. If you get pulled into melee just keep the gun nearby the guardians but don't let it get in the way of the assault, its just a marker that's there for appearances sake. Remember, "...assume the gun is actually carried by the crew member that is firing it."

-Farseer Maechu of Ulthwe
loeldrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2010, 05:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to TigStripe

Makes sense, and I do tend to look pretty literally at things in this game - if I don't, I might just get cheated in a match.
It's a Small World After All.
TigStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2010, 09:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Not a problem, it's good to be thorough!

-Farseer Maechu of Ulthwe
loeldrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2010, 01:56   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

so we are all agreed then that the eldar are the unique race of the galaxy, are awesome, and very complicated at times haha
Sky_Breather is offline   Reply With Quote