Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Which Army List to use
Old 19 Dec 2009, 22:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman
Default Which Army List to use

My Lord,

We have 5 Space Marine Battle Barges at the ready. The reinforcements you requests have also arrived, consisting of a thousand Battle Sisters with 4 Battleships, 25 Cruisers, and a number of smaller vessels.

Our temporary allied Tau fleet has 15 large dropships each filled with an entire army at their disposal. Their Commander, Dram’Ka, waits for you to make the first move.

The splinter hive fleet has recently somewhat stabilized under our control—for the moment. They are on a breaking leash, but we can release them where ever and whenever you wish in the next few hours.

The Eldar Craftworld fleets noted as “Iyenden” and “Ulthwé” are on standby in case they feel they need to intervene.

The Ork Waaagh! leaders, the Arc-Arsonist, Warboss Big-Boom, and Wazdakka will be the first ones in. Just tell them where the fighting will be. Hurry, they are getting restless. They have almost seven hundred warships between them.

What are your orders?

<<<Incoming Transmission>>>

<All forces retreat; I repeat, all forces on full retreat. It’s the Elati Craftworld. Send the Orks and Tyranids at the same time so we can get the hell out of here. Praise be to the Emperor if we get out of this alive.>

Sir, nobody is obeying those orders. Despite everyone's personal feelings, they all have a bone to pick with these Eldar; even the hive fleet's near annihilation is their responsibility. They've killed 100 Space Marines in a single battle; the Ultramarines are willing to do anything to avenge their comrades.

<<<Incoming Transmission>>>

<Have someone else take command of the fleet. *click-click* Emperor, I'm not worthy of this job or the fate that awaits me. *Gunshot*>

[hr]
[hr]

My cousin whom I refer to as Executor Dave is coming into town today, and he'll be bringing with him all the titanic knowledge of war with him. We will be living in a large, 1-room apartment above the shed at my grandparents for the next 3 weeks, with two tables pushed together and an array of terrain. I'll be playing him often for the next while, and I might post a few bat reps.

My current winning streak record with him is at 2 wins followed by 1 tie, (which is then followed by 3-4 losses). The better time was 2 wins, 1 tie, and 1 win.

Currently I am at 2 wins as of late. I've compiled the following army lists that I would really like to use against him. For the record, I smell Eldrad Ulthran at 12 o'clock, and I don't think he'll be using Avatar for a little while. Curse me if I'm wrong.

If you ask me "What units does he take?" My only response is, "Anything and everything." He surprises me with each new army list he brings to the table, and he plays no more than 2-3 games with any one army list a year. Trying to play against my cousin with a set method of victory is like trying to attack the Borg with a powerful weapon that worked the last time. All he does is adapt and becomes immune.

If any of you have read my posts concerning him, he bases his strategy around how he can best achieve victory with the weakness of that army list. E.g. take a MEQ-killer specialized army and defeat a horde army with it while basing his whole method on a single ideal or spark of inspiration. He's a special breed of player that I have rarely seen anywhere at any time. And he is responsible for over half my losses in my games this year so far and 80% of my ties.

Ork Lists
Grot Waaagh!

Mekanized Army of Dakka

Arc-Arsonist Waaagh!

Nob Biker Army
(he already lost once big-time to this, but I can be sure that he's trying to come up with ways to counter this.)

Tau Army Lists
Death from the Heavens

Attack of the Drones

Y'he Or'es Cadre
(while this is my most powerful army list I've ever created or used, my cousin has faced these elements before, though not this list.)

Eldar Army List
Something I didn't post yet:

HQ – Eldrad Ulthran
10 Warlocks
8 w/Destructor, Singing Spear
1 w/Enhance
1 w/Singing Spear
Wave Serpent
Twin-linked Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon; Spirit Stones

HQ – Avatar of Khaine

TROOPS – 10 Wraithguard
1 Spiritseer w/Destructor

TROOPS – 10 Dire Avengers
1 Exarch w/Bladestorm, 2 catapults
Wave Serpent
Twin-linked Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon; Spirit Stones

HEAVY SUPPORT – Weapon Battery
3 D-Cannons

HEAVY SUPPORT – Wraithlord
2 Flamers, Bright Lance, Scatter Laser

TOTAL POINTS: 1850

Army of Heroes
HQ – Lord Castellan Creed
Color Sergeant Kell
Officer of the Fleet
Master of Ordinance
Astropath
2 Veterans man Lascannon
All w/Carapace Armor

HQ – Inquisitor Lord
Master-crafted Storm Bolter w/Psycannon Bolts, Power-Stake
Psychic Hood, Rosarius, Digital Weapons
Hammer of the Witches
3 Familiars
Land Raider

ELITES – Sly Marbo

ELITES – Callidus Assassin

ELITES – Psyker Battle Squad
10 Psykers
Chimera
Extra Armor, Heavy Flamer, Heavy Flamer

TROOPS – Veterans
Sergeant Bastonne
All w/Lasguns, Grenadiers

TROOPS – Veterans
Sergeant Harker
1 w/Heavy Flamer
3 w/Flamers

HEAVY SUPPORT
3 Basilisks

TOTAL POINTS: 1847

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2009, 14:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Which Army List to use

Well... that Eldar list actually looks really strong, except kind of overpowered/undernumbered. A 10-strong wraithwall is respectable, as is a huge squad of warlocks, as is Eldrad... but using all of them in the same army means the rest of your force will be horribly outnumbered even by marines.

Your 'Army of Heros' seems to be combining two different codex. I don't think the IG have access to assassins and inquisitors, and I don't think the witchhunters have access to Sly and Creed. I remember you mentioned doing something similar in the 'which unit do you hate' thread, having Shrike and Calgar leading Grey Knight terminators. Just because they are all Imperial doesn't mean they are interchangable between codex. Each codex is insular to itself. Force organisation is very specific, so If you want an allied force, you need 2 separate groups, both obeying force-org and their own codex.

This means you'll need more troop slots filled up, 2 for the Guard, and 2 for the witchhunter (or demon hunter... whichever inquisition army you use) You'll need more troop slots filled up anyway though if you want to beat your warmaster cousin. Troops win games.

Maybe I'm wrong it has been a LONG time since I read either of the Inquisition Codex. If they have a special rule that allows them to join up with other armies let me know.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2009, 22:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman
Default Re: Which Army List to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardian
Well... that Eldar list actually looks really strong, except kind of overpowered/undernumbered. A 10-strong wraithwall is respectable, as is a huge squad of warlocks, as is Eldrad... but using all of them in the same army means the rest of your force will be horribly outnumbered even by marines.

Your 'Army of Heros' seems to be combining two different codex. I don't think the IG have access to assassins and inquisitors, and I don't think the witchhunters have access to Sly and Creed. I remember you mentioned doing something similar in the 'which unit do you hate' thread, having Shrike and Calgar leading Grey Knight terminators. Just because they are all Imperial doesn't mean they are interchangable between codex. Each codex is insular to itself. Force organisation is very specific, so If you want an allied force, you need 2 separate groups, both obeying force-org and their own codex.

This means you'll need more troop slots filled up, 2 for the Guard, and 2 for the witchhunter (or demon hunter... whichever inquisition army you use) You'll need more troop slots filled up anyway though if you want to beat your warmaster cousin. Troops win games.

Maybe I'm wrong it has been a LONG time since I read either of the Inquisition Codex. If they have a special rule that allows them to join up with other armies let me know.
Calgar, Shrike + Grey Knights annihilated him. It's the only victory I have out of 5 games so far. Everything else is just slaughter against me.

Using Witch Hunters/Daemon Hunters as Allies:

Space Marines (including all variants), Daemon Hunters/Witch Hunters, and Imperial Guard can all take the following units from the Daemon Hunters/Witch Hunters' Codex as Allies:

0-1 HQ (Inquisitor Lord)
0-1 Elite (Assassin)
0-2 Troops
0-1 Fast Attack

I can take Grey Knights Deep Striking as a Fast Attack, Dominions as another Fast Attack, a unit of Battle Sisters as a Troop Choice, an Inquisitor Lord from the Witch Hunters Codex, and a Grey Knight Hero (HQ) from the Daemon Hunters Codex...

and stick them in a Guard army with 2 Vet squads and 1 Command squad and call that my army.

I can also take Space Marine Tactical Squads, Scout Squads, Assault Squads, Land Speeder Tornado or Land Speeder Squadrons, Bike Squadrons, Devastator Squads, Land Raider, Predator, or Dreadnought with either Inquisitor Force (the Dread counts as Heavy).

And/or Infantry Platoon, Imperial Guard Platoons (or single squad in a Chimera, FAQ), Sentinel Squadrons, Rough Rider Squads, or a 0-1 Leman Russ Battle Tank (only the Battle Tank variant, FAQ)... all of these allied to my Inquisitorial Force.

The limits are that I can't have any Space Marines allied to a Witch Hunter or Daemon Hunter force and have Battle Sisters or Grey Knights (but I can do it the other way around).

I can have an Imperial Guard army with Daemonhosts (Elite) from the Daemon Hunter Codex, an Inquisitor (HQ) from the Witch Hunters Codex , and an Assassin (Elite) from the Witch Hunters Codex, while taking 2 units of 20 Battle Sisters (2 Troops).

I can have a Space Wolf army with a Witch Hunter Inquisitor (HQ), Logan (HQ), Rune Priest (HQ), and a Canoness (HQ) with a Celestian Retinue, all joined together in one super unit inside a Space Wolf Land Raider Crusader. To use a psychic power on such a unit requires getting past the Inquisitor's Hexagrammic Wards (-1 Ld to psychic tests), psychic hood, the Rune Priests' Ruinic Weapon, the Penitents (2+ save against any psychic power that affects the unit), and the Battle Sisters' 5+ save against any psychic power that would affect them.

Logan can give this unit Relentless, giving any heavy weapons/rapid fire weapons I gave the Celestian Retinue and/or Inquisitorial Gun Servitors the ability to move, shoot, and assault out of the Land Raider. I can then use an Inquisitorial Mandate and Logan's Living Legend rule to give the entire unit +2 attacks on that turn they charge (for a total of +3 to any units 2D6" away from the Inq Mandate). If I have a Priest joined to the Celestians, everyone re-rolls all failed hits on the first round of combat.

Having Blackmane instead of the Canoness, I could give +D3 attacks on top of the +2, for a potential +6 attacks from each model on the charge while giving them Furious Charge. Hmm... I have a new variation with Grey Knight Terminators and Grey Knight Hero (HQ) as allies with Space Wolves to try out...

There must be over a hundred combinations out there.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote