Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Usefulness of Harlequins in 5th Ed
Old 09 Dec 2009, 03:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman
Default Usefulness of Harlequins in 5th Ed

Hello everyone! Ive heard a lot about Harlies being able to wipe out entire armies in second edition, but got 'nerfed' in the new codex. It seems to me like are kind of cool, but somewhat shadowed by the durability of scorpions or the power weapon-ness of banshees.

The only benefit I can think of would be the Veil of Tears thing, where enemies can only shoot at them at 24" (and that's if theyre rolling lucky) Actually this seems to be a staple of them, and I could see using this nasty little ability to great affect. Then rolling in the kisses and basically using them like uber genestealers.

Is this an effective tactic? Are they better uses for them, or should I simply not bother and continue to outflank/infiltrate with Scorpions? (which also works rather well)

edit: I also just read that they have furious charge and hit and run as well! Aside from the 5+ save, these guys seem pretty sweet. I can't believe I never took them seriously.
Old 09 Dec 2009, 13:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to TigStripe
Default Re: Usefulness of Harlequins in 5th Ed

Harlequin were THE close combat unit of 4th edition, pretty much second-to-none, but with the rending hit and the inability to "chip" due to wounds removed from anywhere in the squad, our tactics had to change a bit with them. Harlies are still perfectly viable in 5th, but their meager invulnerable save makes them ridiculously difficult to keep alive until Killy Time.

Especially now with so much scatter, it's very common to mount Harlies in Serpents and shoot them off across the field, take some shots on the hull, pile out next turn and deliver hell. Note that this is effective, because Veil of Tears will NOT protect your Harlequin squad from faulty (or strategic, for that matter) scatter rolls.

The other method I've seen and heard of being used is nabbing a Shadowseer (which is pretty much required with how squishy Harlequin are), and running them very slowly across the field towards their intended targets, moving in more of a counterassault method rather than a real assault unit. Veil of Tears' average safety is 14", if I remember correctly, meaning you have a valid charging distance from out of line of sight. Veil of Tears ignores Acute Senses and other things like that, so don't feel afraid to take on those Space Wolves (although you'll need to plan accordingly, what with all their special rules).

One thing to remember with 5th edition Harlequin is to try to Doom squads you intend to rush with your clowns. Doom allows you to reroll any wound rolls you want, not just failed ones. Due to Rending being given on To Wound, this has the potential for a LOT of Rends.

I haven't mastered it yet, but when it comes to any Eldar model with Hit and Run, it's recommended to wait out until the end of your opponent's assault phase to try to break away, so you can immediately charge again. With Harlies, though, I don't think it's really all that necessary - after all, the further away you get, the less likely that anything will be able to shoot at you. Hit and Run's only a 3d6" move, so it'll take some planning to utilize it well.

One of my favorite things about Harlequin, even though I don't see much use of it, is the fact that they outright ignore difficult terrain. I'd love to try them in a city fight sometime, just bounding around corners and up buildings as if they did it daily. Plus, if you take a Shadowseer, the squad counts as having plasma grenades, so go ahead and charge that squad huddling in cover - the Harlies won't care about Initiative bonuses!

Aside from these methods, Harlequin are actually pretty versatile. While most people just outfit the squad with Kisses and a Seer and be done with them, they can also be kitted out with Fusion Pistols. While a 3" melta range is rather comical, your Harlies are more than capable of magically popping up next to a vehicle that's been trying to shoot at something else the entire game, blowing its side or rear armor, and charging the squad of Lootas that have to disembark (I play a lot of armored Ork lists).

Another valid tactic is taking the Death Jester and keeping your Harlies out of sight using Veil of Tears, Pinning things from 24" away with the Shrieker Cannon. There's a lot of unused points in this tactic, but Harlequin are absolutely feared by most other armies, and, save for walkers and Genestealers, are hard-up to find competition in melee. If anything tries to get rid of the Jester, they have his whole squad to worry about assaulting. And no one likes assaulting Harlequin.

So, looking at Harlequin, make sure that you realize that Shadowseers are pretty much required for survival unless you're using the Flying Circus tactic (mounted in a Falcon/Serpent). Kisses are nice, but don't forget about the various uses of Fusion Pistols. And Jesters aren't necessarily the most retarded idea in the world, giving an assault squad a weapons dealer. ALWAYS assault with Harlequin, don't let them get surprised, because S3 and Rending only go so far. S4 with Rending is much better. You just kill more stuff.

Oh, and I didn't mention the Troupe Master - he's okay, one extra attack and Leadership - I typically don't think of running him unless I have extra points. Plus, he can carry a power weapon if he wants. That's pretty useful, but may not fit with the rest of the squad's tactics. I've never really tried much with him.

Hope this helped a little. :3
It's a Small World After All.
TigStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2009, 15:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes, it did help, thanks! I think I'm going to pick up a squad of these guys. ;D

How viable would a farseer be with this squad? All you'd need to do is give him fortune and doom w/ spirit stones, and saves points by not using a troop master. He also has fleet (much to my pleasant surprise) and would be able to keep up with the Harlies. He'd slow them down to 3d6 in difficult terrain but other than that this seems like a good deal. Essentially, a constant fortune and doom bolstering the Harlies.
Old 09 Dec 2009, 18:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I haven't heard a lot about running a Farseer with Harlies, but it seems viable. Not only would you be able to constantly upkeep Fortune/Doom, but the Witchblade is a terror against armor values, something that Harlequin lack. If you ever wound up shooting those fusion pistols at a tank, rushing in with lots of Rending plus a Witchblade would make short work of anything that survived.

I'm hesitant to say "Go for it!" because I use Farseers on other units, or often in a transport, Dooming things all over the place. I might have to try that combination myself, just to see how well it works.
Old 09 Dec 2009, 19:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes, plus you wouldn't be restricted to dooming just the units right next to you. Doom has a 24" range, so you good cast it on other parts of the enemy. Plus, a 5+ rerollable invuln? Now thats not bad! b

Definitely going to pick up a squad with my tournament winnings. As cool as the death jester is though, I don't think he would be very useful if I fleeted every turn, so I might not get him. I could though, just to have him and try him out. He's by far my favorite looking model in the Harlequin line.
Old 09 Dec 2009, 19:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to major_rawne02

I wouldn't suggest attaching a farseer to the unit, if you do the unit will have to take difficult terrain tests, potentially slowing them right down and taking away one of their biggest advantages.
major_rawne02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2009, 20:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik_torgeddon
I wouldn't suggest attaching a farseer to the unit, if you do the unit will have to take difficult terrain tests, potentially slowing them right down and taking away one of their biggest advantages.
Yeah, but I would still get 3d6 since he's an IC. Thats a minor price to pay to have constant fortune on them, and a doom being cast every turn in the front lines.
Old 09 Dec 2009, 21:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpspiderman
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik_torgeddon
Yeah, but I would still get 3d6 since he's an IC. Thats a minor price to pay to have constant fortune on them, and a doom being cast every turn in the front lines.
No you don't. He doesn't move as an independant character when attached to a unit. Independant characters move at the same maximum speed as the unit they join. As the Harlequin's ability to ignore cover for the purposes of movement stems from special rules/equipment they lose the ability to use it when joined by an independant character.
Old 09 Dec 2009, 21:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

The squad moves as slow as the slowest unit - the Harlequin still have the flip-belts equipped, so wouldn't the 3d6 be the slowest possible movement for the squad?
Old 09 Dec 2009, 21:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't think so. The harlequins can't use the flip belts as it's a special rule which the farseer doesn't possess.

I may be wrong, but this is my take on it.